Air Filter time: AC or Napa Gold

I drive a lot. I have 24,xxx on my truck. My next oil change will be here in about 3 months. My factory AC delco air filter will need replacing at the next LOF. Any preferences between the two? The AC in my truck now looks pretty paper-ish. the NAPA Gold's from prevoius vehicles looked thicker and more fuzzier. Just an observation. These are the only two I'm opting to run.

Napa gold is Wix, right? Wait, maybe that's only for oil filters.

Sent from Tapatalk App - Samsung S6

^ Yes.... something like that. Napa has a silver and gold. the gold is WIX. I can get the AC Delco filter from Ebay shipped to my house for $22. the Napa Gold is $19. Only 3 dollar difference. So I'm looking more at quality of filter vs price. I drive a lot per year, and am on construction sites daily. So getting a filter that 1- filters very well and 2- lasts a while are my main priority. Not price. Both are basically $20.

I'm not an expert either but in my brief time searching the internet about this issue, I found an article that talked about filter tests and how the AC Delco out performed all other filters in the test. I'm not sure if Napa Gold was one of the ones tested or not though. I've decided to stick with AC Delco since it seems to test well, is built well, and came on the truck originally.

Count the pleats. If the pleat count is less, the total filter area will be less. An example is the K&N drop in. It has no where near the pleat count the AC filter has. Filter area is more related to how long it will go before being restricted by debris, not how well it filters.

I don't know anything about Wix air filters either. Maybe someone can chime in with some information/data.

Edit:

I stumbled onto this thread on BITOG http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1759962/2

"Fram air filter produced single digit Si in my UOA, down from 17-19 using the OEM filter, and a heck of a lot cheaper than OEM. I'll continue to use them until something less expensive comes along that works as well. Both I've used have sealed very well."

For you guys that have a OBD2 data tap type device, you might monitor the full throttle MAP when you change to a new filter brand. Of course, atmospheric changes will change that reading as well. So, any MAP comparision should be back to back with new filters in the same atmospheric conditions

Check out this thread:

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=11674

I can't find that other article I was talking about that did the comparison test but the results in this link are the same...AC Delco provided the best filtration out of all of the filters tested. However, when you look at the difference in the numbers, it isn't a very large spread in the results so keep that in mind.

i don't think you could go wrong with any of the brands listed. I have another recommendation though. Don't replace your OEM air filter just yet. Unless you drive in REALLY dirty conditions, I'm sure there is lot's of life left in your air filter. Air filters actually get more efficient with use. Efficient from the stand point of catching smaller particles. It takes a lot of dirt to "plug" a filter to the point that economy and power are reduced. Most air filters should be good for many years and at least 60,000 miles. Just my 2 cents :)

Check out this thread:

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=11674

I can't find that other article I was talking about that did the comparison test but the results in this link are the same...AC Delco provided the best filtration out of all of the filters tested. However, when you look at the difference in the numbers, it isn't a very large spread in the results so keep that in mind.

Here's a link to another blog where the graphics were presented. http://www.billswebspace.com/AirFilterTest.htm

It's a great data point. The test appears to have been conducted in Sept 2004 or earlier, based on the blog date at the bottom.

The test concluded that an AC Delco filter was the best at filtering and longest lasting before it became restrictive. It also showed that the AC Delco was the most restrictive. The question then arises: how much power difference that difference in restriction makes. Spicer answers that question in the Diesel page forum reference that S-H posted . But keep in mind, he is talking about one truck type, one engine type. Others posting on that thread weigh in with different experiences with either different vehicles/filters or modified engines.

Absent any other data, I'm buying a AC Delco replacement.

From all the UOA's running paper filters, just go with the less expensive of the two and you will be fine. The main thing is to make sure your intake system is sealed well with no leaks. I'm anal but change my air filter out every 15k miles. I also do UOA's at every oil change so it is a guide showing me how things are working.

Here's a link to another blog where the graphics were presented. http://www.billswebspace.com/AirFilterTest.htm

It's a great data point. The test appears to have been conducted in Sept 2004 or earlier, based on the blog date at the bottom.

The test concluded that an AC Delco filter was the best at filtering and longest lasting before it became restrictive. It also showed that the AC Delco was the most restrictive. The question then arises: how much power difference that difference in restriction makes. Spicer answers that question in the Diesel page forum reference that S-H posted . But keep in mind, he is talking about one truck type, one engine type. Others posting on that thread weigh in with different experiences with either different vehicles/filters or modified engines.

Absent any other data, I'm buying a AC Delco replacement.

Yes that's the link I was originally looking for with the bar graph. Thank you! I'll be sticking with AC Delco as well.

^ I'll stick with AC. Can't go wrong. I drive a lot on construction sites, so it's just dirt dust I get a lot of. I'll look at it a week or two before my next oil change and make a decision. But yes, normally I agree, air filters last 45k-60 now a days.

Archived