In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Gorehamj

Like any good bout, GM-Union talks start with a handshake

Barra union handshake.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
7/14/2015

It's all smiles and handshakes at the start of General Motors' and its workers' union negotiations. Things generally are not as friendly after that for a bit. Cathy Clegg, GM North America vice president of Manufacturing and Labor Relations will be the head of negotiations for GM. She commented at the opening ceremonies, saying “Formal talks begin today, but in recent years we’ve demonstrated our ability to develop creative solutions together. As a team we must continue to solve problems, build in quality and enhance competitiveness.”

UAW President Dennis Williams' focus is on newer UAW members. In prior negotiations the union agreed to let GM cap newer workers' pay well below the top earnings of older, longer serving union members. Williams commented on those workers, saying, "Some of them are not part of the middle class like they should be."

In its reporting on the talks, US News & World Report said that GM and Ford want to reduce labor costs, which are about $9.00 higher per hour of labor than Toyota and Honda pay to non-union workers in nearby states. By contrast, the UAW wants to increase pay, which has essentially been unchanged since 2005, following agreements made around the time that General Motors went through bankruptcy.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By BluegrassMotorsport
      I've been researching exhaust options until I'm blue in the face and I don't think I'm any closer to a decision. I had the GMPP system on my K2 but I can't believe the markup on the T1 system if you go through the GM Accessary website or dealer. I've seen a code flying around for 20% off and I have around $200 worth of GM points after recently purchasing my T1. That would bring it down to around $1200 which is a far cry from around $1750 where it MSRPs. I know, I know, you get what you pay for. But when muffler-only options are so much cheaper, I'm torn. In my research through the Forum I see I missed an exhaust sale back in August. Any other GM deals y'all see floating around?
    • By Gus524
      Hey everyone! I have been browsing the forums for about 6 months now and finally pulled the trigger on a 2020 RST about 3 weeks ago. 

I am looking to get some black wheels with some all terrains before winter. I am leaning towards OEM black wheels of some type as I have had better luck with OEM wheels holding up to these Minnesota winters.

Does anyone have these 18" OEM wheels (84641199)? I would love to see these on a vehicle!

I was also thinking of finding a set of Trail Boss wheels but I don't care for the looks of those as much. 

Lastly I found a few of these sets on Ebay, they appear to be my current wheels but in Black. I can't seem to find anywhere saying that these came from the factory in Black, but I think they look great!

Thanks everyone!! 

• By lovecars
      https://www.gmupfitter.com:80/files/media/photo/661/2016_LD_FS_CK_PU_100915.pdf

Been trying to access it at gmupfitters.com since friday, apparently the site needs permissions to enter.
      I have the 2015 and 2017, for some reason the 2016 is not in my archives.

Anyone have a copy? 
      I would appreciate it.. 
    • By dvzzz
      Part # from GM site 84520923. Could not find answers to the questions about this Performance part from GM. So I am paying back to this forum with an unboxing of the filter to answer some of the questions.
      Is it a disposable filter? How often do you change it? Do you need to tune the truck to take advantage of this filter? Still to be answered in use:
      Are there any improvement (subjectively by feel and by mileage)? Will it improve anything including idle smoothness? Slightest change to the sound of the intake?  
      10X more expensive than stock filter is being put to test. I get that nobody in the right frame of mind would spend 10x on the drop-in filter but I did use my GM points. Let's see...

Paper manual that came with GM Performance Air Filter

• By Amir Yarkoni
      Hi im rebuilding an 86 5.7l small block
      dumped the old heads (warped one) installed 2 Vortec heads ,   the motor that will see MARINE use,  48' house boat 3Bowee try hull.
      my q is what is the purpose of the VALLEY COVERS in the engine ?
      there was a very rusty cover held by 3 bolts that connected to a central oil delivery "
      tube",    do I need it?   why is the cover used in the first place?  will its absence cause detrimental issues in the future? 
      ps .aluminum intake manifold is new   how do I make sure proper install   I got rigid plastic intake gaskets   new grade 8 bolts from  local supplyer keep snaping at 25 foot/pd setting  help!