Leaf Spring Noise

Anyone else having a ridiculous amount of noise from their leaf springs? Dealership told me they all do that and there is no fix. I am going to test drive another new silverado and I bet money that it will not have this noise.

Ya what kind of noise is it? A lot of people, including me, had a clunking noise sometimes when getting on the throttle. So far I've fixed mine by torquing the u-bolt nuts to 78 ft/lbs (which is what it should be). I turned every nut at least 1 full rotation so they were way off.

Edited by SouthernSilveradoGuy85

Yes, I had the same clucking noise on my 2015 Sierra w/ Z71 package. The dealership was able to fix the problem by replacing the right rear leaf spring. They also found out that one of the Rancho shocks was faulty.

Some additional things they did while trying to figure out the clunking was, re-tourque body/bed mount bolts and leaf spring U-bolts (before replacing the right rear).

I would ask your Service Manager to look into a TSB (sorry no number) about re-touqing the body-mount bolts.

Edited by UrbanRage

Our clunking is also due to the rear left leaf, so our service manager said he'd replace them after the outcome of our final repair attempt for the vibration issues.

I have leaf spring noise. I had the clunking every now and then, so I torqued factory U-bolts and added leaf spring clamps, and now I have more leaf spring noise. Metal on metal rubbing is what it sounds like. I'm going to take the clamps off and see if the noise goes away. I can't stand it.

Our clunking is also due to the rear left leaf, so our service manager said he'd replace them after the outcome of our final repair attempt for the vibration issues.

The first set of leafs they ordered didn't fix the problem. So they ordered another set and it worked fine.

The vibration issue is also one of my complaints and he is adamant about fixing the problem. He told me that after talking to the GM Field Engineer there is something with the lubricant they use when road force balancing the tire that causes it to slip on the rim... cough..cough.. bullshit..cough..cough... Anyway he was as skeptical as I was but they used the "new lubricant" and the vibration is still there but very subtile. He said that if I still feel the vibration he will order me 4 new tires... So I will be calling him tomorrow so he can get them on order.

My 2014 Z71 has a hollow thumping/clunking noise. Sometimes hard to hear other times load as hell. Dealer service said it was leaf springs and said the fix is to lubricate the pads between the leafs. Didn't say anything about tightening the u-bolts or offer to replace the springs. I am a little skeptical. Seems like a band aide fix.

My 2014 Z71 has a hollow thumping/clunking noise. Sometimes hard to hear other times load as hell. Dealer service said it was leaf springs and said the fix is to lubricate the pads between the leafs. Didn't say anything about tightening the u-bolts or offer to replace the springs. I am a little skeptical. Seems like a band aide fix

I was told the springs weren't lined up correctly causing the clucking noise. Honestly I could careless, they can keep on replacing parts.

I don't mean to sound like an ass, but isn't greasing the pads also a "bandaid" fix?

My truck is having the same problem right now. Dropped it off at the dealer on Thursday and will be picking it up on Monday. After taking on a test drive they confirmed it was the leaf springs making the sound. The dealer said they currently do not have a fix and will just be documenting that I'm having the problem. I hear the sound the loudest when I'm backing up on in incline into the garage.

The first set of leafs they ordered didn't fix the problem. So they ordered another set and it worked fine.

The vibration issue is also one of my complaints and he is adamant about fixing the problem. He told me that after talking to the GM Field Engineer there is something with the lubricant they use when road force balancing the tire that causes it to slip on the rim... cough..cough.. bullshit..cough..cough... Anyway he was as skeptical as I was but they used the "new lubricant" and the vibration is still there but very subtile. He said that if I still feel the vibration he will order me 4 new tires... So I will be calling him tomorrow so he can get them on order.

I guess that's why he wasn't so eager to fix the leafs then, another problem that's hard to fix. Go figure! As for the vibrations, we got ours back yesterday from being with engineers for its final repair attempt, they replaced two tires that failed the road test with the "new lube" and it did not fix the problem. Granted they have already RF'd all tires, changed 4 tires, rebuilt the differential and replaced the shaft. I guess that's why our service manager didn't want to rush to replace the leafs because he knew out truck wouldn't get its vibration problem fixed :/

My truck is having the same problem right now. Dropped it off at the dealer on Thursday and will be picking it up on Monday. After taking on a test drive they confirmed it was the leaf springs making the sound. The dealer said they currently do not have a fix and will just be documenting that I'm having the problem. I hear the sound the loudest when I'm backing up on in incline into the garage.

That's exactly what we have too. Our SM said he'd replace the shock and leafs. Although my dealership has also been SO amazing. If they're not willing to work on yours you may want to try another dealership.

Edited by Bdkfl
  • Like 1

I hear a noise from my springs only when I get in or out of my truck. Its loud enough that my wife and kids can hear it. Took the truck in for its first oil change a couple of weeks ago and mentioned it. Service manager said they found a TSB for re-torquing all of the suspension bolts. I was hoping that would fix the problem. Nope. I crawled under the rear end and I think its coming from the rear leaf spring bolts. It goes back tomorrow because its driving me crazy. Hopefully they get it taken care of this time.

I hear a noise from my springs only when I get in or out of my truck. Its loud enough that my wife and kids can hear it. Took the truck in for its first oil change a couple of weeks ago and mentioned it. Service manager said they found a TSB for re-torquing all of the suspension bolts. I was hoping that would fix the problem. Nope. I crawled under the rear end and I think its coming from the rear leaf spring bolts. It goes back tomorrow because its driving me crazy. Hopefully they get it taken care of this time.

Hi 88junior and everyone,

We recognize noise from your leaf springs have been very frustrating. Please know we'd would be happy to follow up with the dealer and research this in greater detail. Feel free to send us a PM if you'd like to discuss things further or need additional assistance. We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Eddie A.

GM Customer Care

• Thanks 1

I have never had any noise, but after reading this thread I decided to check my rear U-Bolts and they were out by at least 1.5 or 2 turns.

I had also replaced (4 months ago) the Ranchero Shocks with Bilstein 5100's and noticed that the passenger side one was defective. If you pushed it down it kind of clicked before going smooth again.