In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Sterling Hess

I'm starting to feel like I bought a Ram 1500...not sure if I shou

How steep was the incline of the hill and how where you transcending it? If you were going up say mostly parallel to the grade, its not uncommon for trucks with side air bag curtains to deploy since these systems deploy based on an inclinometer. Heard stories of guys with newer Tacomas have this happen a time or two again.

Edited by Silverado Steve

Sometimes I wonder, those were probably carefully assembled and built.

If you go to GMC.MX youtube page, you can see them doing some crazy stuff in a Sierra.... don't see those commercials in the US.

Example:

https://youtu.be/PPeMjbTR-Hk?list=PL_CKiDnBr9qnD2arRKgwAgTuHhObMqbNW

Don't speak much spanish so no clue what they are saying...but I never plan on rock crawling like that in my new truck lol.

nice! they also removed the front airdam :)

How steep was the incline of the hill and how where you transcending it? If you were going up say mostly parallel to the grade, its not uncommon for trucks with side air bag curtains to deploy since these systems deploy based on an inclinometer. Heard stories of guys with newer Tacomas have this happen a time or two again.

In the Tacoma you can turn of the side airbags when you go off road.

In the Tacoma you can turn of the side airbags when you go off road.

Seems like you should be able to do that, at least with Z71. If they're paranoid, perhaps disengaging the side airbags could automatically reset to enabled on start.

This kind of scares me. So there is a *chance* mine could go off when I take my truck to Silver Lake Sand Dunes here in MI...

I think this thread needs to be renamed. I had two Tundras prior to the 15 Sierra Z71 I jsut got. On the Tundras, there is a switch to turn of f the side curtains. In my last Tundra, I got ran off a mountain road in a National Forrest and rolled down about 30' before tow friendly trees caught me. I remember from the wreck that as soon as my rear driver's wheel fell off the gravel edge about 10", the curtains went off, and there was a long enough delay between them going off and us rolling that my passenger and I had plenty of time to look at each other. It was as if the curtains going off was the point of no return and the exact moment in time when I knew I was getting a new truck.

I read the manual, and did not see anything about disabling them. I do a fair amount of off road stuff in my trucks, but in the 150K miles in the two Tundras (2007 and 2011), I never disabled the curtains.

OP- do you have an idea of what degree the truck was tilted at time of the "poof"? I wonder if hte black box could tell you? Hell, I wonder if hte black box data is why GM is replacing them for free and why it took so long for them to agree to do so.

Ncorry, not sure what you mean. Are you saying that the Tundras had a switch that you didn't know about and that wasn't in the manual?

Ncorry, not sure what you mean. Are you saying that the Tundras had a switch that you didn't know about and that wasn't in the manual?

The Tacoma had a switch to turn off the airbags when offroad, that's all. I don't think the Tundra does.

GM has had this problem before. When the 900-series came out several magazines deployed the side airbags during offroad tests. I also heard about it happening in Trailblazers. I know that won't really help much but it is far from unknown.

The Tacoma had a switch to turn off the airbags when offroad, that's all. I don't think the Tundra does.

GM has had this problem before. When the 900-series came out several magazines deployed the side airbags during offroad tests. I also heard about it happening in Trailblazers. I know that won't really help much but it is far from unknown.

Its hard to say exactly, since the going up the side of the hill, the passenger tires are still on the level road. If I had to make a guess it would of been around 30 or so degrees. I remember a bump on the driver side which I think was the actual tripping point of the air bags. If it was perfectly smooth may not of happened.

I've heard of similar issues on other makes offroading too...realistically I should probably just rely on my RZR more for offroading than the truck, but I really like to wheel my trucks too, so the whole incident has been somewhat disappointing. But when I get my truck back (still don't have it back :banghead: ) it does offer some improvements over my Avalanche; with the longer wheelbase, it probably will never be as good as the Avalanche for offroading, but it has better towing, mpg, cargo capacity and comfort so in ways it's a compromise.

On a side note, still not crazy about the RAM, it does offer some features I like over my Sierra, such as a power locking tailgate, power rear window, and more hp. I dislike the interior as it feels/looks a lot cheaper, more noisy on the road, the infotainment is glitchy, the DIC is outdated, and the 8-speed transmission kinda sucks...kick down at freeway speeds takes a few seconds, so you have to plan ahead to pass anything. Rotary shifter sucks as well, always reaching for it while adjusting fan speed while driving (eyes on the road) and just feels cheesy, it works but lifting a lever into park just feels more secure. No rear locker, pulling a large trailer getting on the the highway from the shoulder was mostly a one-wheel-tire-fire adventure lol.Ride quality its hard to say since I I only drove the sierra for a week, but I'm thinking the Sierra is better. So as a whole, the 2015 Sierra SLE is better than the 2015 Ram Express imho and I don't regret my decision on the Sierra.

-Sterling

Both of my Tundras had the RSCA kill switch. Roll-sensing Curtain Airbags. The switch was by driver's left knee. I read the Sierra manual and did not see anything similar to turn them off. When the curtain bags deployed on my last Tundra (while I was rolling down a mountain- happy to have them) they triggered when my driver's rear wheel fell off the gravel road bed about 8".

• Like 1

So somewhat new the forum, I've owned Chevys for my last two trucks, first a 97 S10 ZR2, then and 04 Avalanche, but were bought used. So over a month ago I finally been able to buy a brand new truck, a 2015 Sierra Crew, 6.5' Bed, price was decent and had everything I wanted, I was pretty excited.

So I have the truck for about a week, then up at our cabin on dirt roads, I went up a side hill, like I have done for many years in the S10, Avalanche and other trucks as well and this time the curtain airbags went off.... onstar called saying we were in a rollover and if I needed help. Told them no... (had to tell them repeatedly there was no rollover), they went of for no reason. Not a single dent scratch or scuff on my truck...I only had 820 miles on it...

So a long frustrating story short, I got a rental truck, and GM is going to reimburse me and they said they will fix it on goodwill, but said I can't drive it like that (or like how they show in the commercials apparently? since they may exaggerate the angles and whatnot...ok?...)

So in the month and a week since I bought this truck, I got to drive it for a week, and the rest of the time I have been driving a RAM 1500...(might as well bought a RAM instead it seems lol) got to make my first payment on a truck in the shop...GM decided they would fix it over a week ago, and the dealership ordered the parts last Monday. Called them today and they still don't have all the parts and won't say when they will get them or how long to fix it.

So here I am, new truck payments, a beat up RAM rental which I really don't care for, and no idea when I will have my new truck back. I have been very polite and patient with GM and the dealership, but I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't be pissed off and complaining to them...

So my question is should I just sit back and wait or should I start complaining and demanding solutions?

Thanks,

Sterling

Hi Sterling,

We recognize being without your new Sierra was an extended period of time has been very frustrating. We'd like the opportunity to review your air bag concerns further and follow up with your dealer for additional clarification. Please feel free to send us a PM with your contact info, VIN, mileage and the involved dealer if interested. We'll be on the lookout for any updates in the meantime. Hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

Eddie A.

GM Customer Care

• Like 1

Both of my Tundras had the RSCA kill switch. Roll-sensing Curtain Airbags. The switch was by driver's left knee. I read the Sierra manual and did not see anything similar to turn them off. When the curtain bags deployed on my last Tundra (while I was rolling down a mountain- happy to have them) they triggered when my driver's rear wheel fell off the gravel road bed about 8".

I really thing they should have this on the GM trucks too, either disable the rollover trigger (still could use side impact) or at least increase the threshold of which it triggers. (maybe only make it able to be deactivated/raise threshold in 4-HI or 4-LOW.

Hi Sterling,

We recognize being without your new Sierra was an extended period of time has been very frustrating. We'd like the opportunity to review your air bag concerns further and follow up with your dealer for additional clarification. Please feel free to send us a PM with your contact info, VIN, mileage and the involved dealer if interested. We'll be on the lookout for any updates in the meantime. Hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

Eddie A.

GM Customer Care

Eddie, I sent you a PM.

For those who are following this, I contacted the dealer, they finally got all the parts in and they expect to have my truck done Thursday or Friday, I will be happy to finally have my truck back.

-Sterling

I really thing they should have this on the GM trucks too, either disable the rollover trigger (still could use side impact) or at least increase the threshold of which it triggers. (maybe only make it able to be deactivated/raise threshold in 4-HI or 4-LOW.

Would think it would open GM up(along with Toyota or any mfg) for lawsuits all day long. As soon as someone shut them off to go off roading & then had an accident on the highway going home & it was found that the curtain air bags would have saved a life, lawyers would have a field day with it. Not saying it is correct or I agree with being able to sue for that. But if a someone who survived the crash mentioned the switch failed or was turned off accidentally... I mean we live in a country where people sue a drive thru's for hot coffee. On more than one occasion . :nonod:

Would think it would open GM up(along with Toyota or any mfg) for lawsuits all day long. As soon as someone shut them off to go off roading & then had an accident on the highway going home & it was found that the curtain air bags would have saved a life, lawyers would have a field day with it. Not saying it is correct or I agree with being able to sue for that. But if a someone who survived the crash mentioned the switch failed or was turned off accidentally... I mean we live in a country where people sue a drive thru's for hot coffee. On more than one occasion . :nonod:

I agree that people are sue happy for sure, and for dumb-a reasons. Although GM lawyers could put in warnings about disabling the airbags, For example, to disable the airbags, you could have the DIC display a warning that you have to say yes before you can disable them (or change the threshold) and would have to anytime you disable the bags. Make it so they automatically come on when you start the truck regardless, and anytime it is in 2-HI, 4-auto or go over a certain speed (like 40MPH or something). It can be done, but wouldn't be simple as an on off switch.

Also previous GM trucks had a passenger airbag disable, where you could use a key, and not aware of any lawsuit cases there...

Also previous GM trucks had a passenger airbag disable, where you could use a key, and not aware of any lawsuit cases there...

Wouldn't the regular cabs still have that? (Don't know, haven't looked in one.) How else could you use a child seat?

Edited by ghgmi