How bad is running out of gas on a fuel system?

I've had my truck at the dealership for over a week now for the same transmission/clunking sound as mention several times on here. My advisor left me a message this morning saying they noticed an issue but on the test drive the technician (ran out of gas) and would need to drive it again today to verify. The advisor chuckles in the message as he tells me they ran out of gas. Should I be as pissed as I feel about this? I have heard that this could really mess up the fuel injection. I plan on talking to the manager about it in person tomorrow so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks,

Kevin

For a gas engine the only thing that it will hurt is the fuel pump. In-tank pumps use the gas to help keep it cool. Being a new vehicle I wouldn't worry about the fact of the pump sucking up "trash". I never let it get below 1/4 tank. What was the gauge at when you last dropped it off?

I have heard it is pretty bad on these direct injection engines. But I can't imagine GM not expecting this to happen to some. Either way they had it for a week and it happened on their watch. Its on them.

I had a little over a quarter tank of gas in the truck when I dropped it off and my advisor said he put a few dollars in it while he was driving it as well before they ran it out. Time will tell if I have fuel pump issues but its frustrating that the dealership has that little respect that they would allow it to happen and that I had an advisor leave it on a recording like it was funny.

In my 99 the fuel gauge quit working at about 65,000 miles and I drove it using the trip odometer till the fuel pump went out at 140,000 miles and I would run out about once every two weeks or so, I carried a 5 gallon can in the back and when it started to run out I would just stop put in my can and head to the station. So for me I am sure that is what caused my pump to fail!!!! If you can run it dry that many times it was a bad pump to start with!!!! (Me trying to be funny) :jester:

Archived