6.2 V8 - 2014-2015???

Premium...

Just by monitoring the factory calibration in the EcU on 91 octane, I can't imagine these 6.2's doing very well at all on regular.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I run premium.

When I purchased my truck the dealer filled the tank with 87. I drove that entire tank out under normal driving conditions with no towing or hard acceleration. The truck ran fine with no pinging and fuel mileage was about the same. When I spoke with the dealer about it, they said they fill all 6.2's with 87 and that many customers also run 87 under normal driving conditions. They knew that 93 was recommended and said that when working the engine hard (towing/hard acceleration) 93 should be used, but 87 is fine under normal conditions unless pinging is heard.

I still choose to run premium for piece of mind.

Well being that the dealer just filled my tank up with 87 when I got the truck :banghead: .... hahah. I'm not running premium currently. I will definitely be using premium after this tank is up. Truck runs great. Odometer is about to roll over 400 miles so one could assume my MPG's are only going to get better after a few thousand miles. I averaged about 18 mpg on the drive home Tuesday.

Premium, which means 91 'here'.

Why spring for an L86 and then ignore the recommendation for fuel?

Presumably the engine control will back off the fuel and timing to prevent knocking, effectively eliminating the power/torque paid for by purchasing the engine option.

I run 87, the price moves between $1.02 and $1.12/L (3.86-4.23/gal) for premium which we can only get 91 it ranges between $1.22 and 1.35(4.61-5.10/gal).

On 87 i average hwy/city 11.5-11.8 L/100 km, right around 20 us mpg. On a straight highway run I was down to 10.2L/100k - 23mpg. Although this was through the DIC, on each fill I verify against the actual fuel used and its usually within a couple litres. I have 30000km on the truck and it has been fairly stable at this mileage.

Are those of you using premium getting better than that for mpg? Our fuel up here is terrible, when i can pop across the line and fill up, i have usually noticed better mpg from US fuel.

I havent noticed any problem with the lower octane and ran the occasional premium tank, but when its over $100 to fill i don't do it very often.

We all know there are a ga-zillion different scenarios in our own part of the world and that will produce many mileage results. I am interested in open across country interstate

driving for best results. There are factors such as speed limits, high-terrain, weather, octane, hilly, curvy, traffic, driver habits, engine size, rear gear ratios, and the list goes on. I am interested

in 2 people with luggage, cooler, extra highway safety equipment, etc. on a cross 3-4 state say 1300-1600 mile one way trip. Having made this trip 2-3 times/year with past Chevy 1500

CC 4X4's is the baseline for comparison. All 3 trucks are bone stock as left the factory. These traveled states have 75 speed limits with 80 in Utah and South Dakota.

2010 LT CC 4X4 5.3 w/3.42 gears...19.8-20.3 mpg

2012 LTZ CC 4X4 6.2 w/3.73 gears...17.5-17.9 mpg

2015 HC CC 4X4 6.2 w/3.23 gears............Less than 2k miles and no trip yet...hopeing for input from other owners with like equipment...Expecting 21-22mpg with the 3.23's

Thank all in advance for any and all real world feedback.

We all know there are a ga-zillion different scenarios in our own part of the world and that will produce many mileage results. I am interested in open across country interstate

driving for best results. There are factors such as speed limits, high-terrain, weather, octane, hilly, curvy, traffic, driver habits, engine size, rear gear ratios, and the list goes on. I am interested

in 2 people with luggage, cooler, extra highway safety equipment, etc. on a cross 3-4 state say 1300-1600 mile one way trip. Having made this trip 2-3 times/year with past Chevy 1500

CC 4X4's is the baseline for comparison. All 3 trucks are bone stock as left the factory. These traveled states have 75 speed limits with 80 in Utah and South Dakota.

2010 LT CC 4X4 5.3 w/3.42 gears...19.8-20.3 mpg

2012 LTZ CC 4X4 6.2 w/3.73 gears...17.5-17.9 mpg

2015 HC CC 4X4 6.2 w/3.23 gears............Less than 2k miles and no trip yet...hopeing for input from other owners with like equipment...Expecting 21-22mpg with the 3.23's

Thank all in advance for any and all real world feedback.

Just got my 2015 LTZ Crew Z71 4wd with 6.2 last week. Currently have 800 miles on it. First trip out, which was dealer fill up of 87 octane, I averaged 20.8 at 75 mph on interstate for 350 miles. I've since put 91 in and curious if it changes mpg on interstate my next trip.

Sounds great Aldila...I'd bet an increase in mileage with 91 octane. Be interested to see

if the increase in cost would equal or better the mileage percentage to be worth it. Runs

20-30 cents higher than 87 octane here.

By the way what gears do you have?

Thanks

I'm up in northern Alberta,Canada.

Around 10000 km on truck running regular all the time.

I've pulled 7000 pound trailer 3 times with no problems ( plenty of power to spare)

Daily driving I average 14 L/100 km with 800 lbs of tools in back.

When I empty tools out it does 10.6 L/100 km.

Was going to try premium a month ago, but there is a shortage up here and you can't even buy premium and as today they still don't sell premium.

Archived