2015 GMC Denali - Two Things I Hate...Grade Braking Assist and Auto Co

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just him my truck on a 4000 km road trip through the Rockies over the past week. The grade braking was the best feature to have because you're not constantly riding your brakes like all the other drivers are to maintain a constant speed.

My '05 Duramax had grade braking. I am assuming it helped me get 225k miles out of the stock brakes. My gas Sierra acts very similar to that same truck on similar hills. It is a good feature and works very well.

Ha. I would have swore the pistons were going to go flying through the hood of my LLY Dmax going down 17 between Flagstaff & Phoenix, AZ. Had never seen diesel rpms so high.

Spent an hour on forums digging up threads on forums wondering if this is really how it is suppose to work. Granted, this has been some years ago. But it did in fact work & hold speeds fairly well given how brutal the hills are out west.

• 1 year later...

Grade braking is not only annoying, it is also dangerous. While trying to navigate down a steep hill under icy conditions grade braking kicked in, increasing engine revs and working against the brakes. Before I could react (throw it into neutral) it pushed me through the intersection at the bottom of the hill. Fortunately no other vehicles in the area at the time.

My grade braking on my 6.2 All Terrain doesnt kick in untill i have a trailer hooked up? I have never noticed it kick in other than when i tow, super happy i dont have forward collsion, "intelibeam" lighting. The only thing left that drives me 100% insane is Stabiltrak. Nice when you want it, makes you want to light the truck on fire when it kicks back on when you turn it OFF.

Grade braking is not only annoying, it is also dangerous. While trying to navigate down a steep hill under icy conditions grade braking kicked in, increasing engine revs and working against the brakes. Before I could react (throw it into neutral) it pushed me through the intersection at the bottom of the hill. Fortunately no other vehicles in the area at the time.

It does not work against the brakes, it works with them.

The engine is not being given fuel.

The engine is being turned by the drivetrain.

The rpm increase is because it downshifts to increase the drag to reduce the amount of heat load on the brakes.

You were going to down the hill to fast for the conditions and were going to go thru the intersection with or without grade braking engaging.

Archived