In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
arkenzo

Has anyone changed their brake pads?

If yes, at how many miles and which ones did you go with? Did you also get new rotors? If yes, which ones did you go with?

I'm at 38,000 miles and approaching 45,000-50,000 miles very soon, this is typically when I change my brake pads/rotors, being this is the first truck i've ever owned brand new, i'm a little concerned about brake pad brands and rotors..

Most of my driving is highway, maybe 80hwy/20city

They'll probably last close to 120k miles.

Take this advice from me, I was in your spot once on my last truck (Chevy Colorado). Around 65,000 miles the brakes would squeak first thing as I pulled it out the driveway in the mornings. I was sure that was my warning that the pads would need changing. So, I threw money down on pads, even got talked in to buying new rotors and was ready to start this job. So I spend about an hour or two getting the first rotor off the truck when I realized that THERE AINT SH1T WRONG WITH THESE PADS ON HERE. They probably weren't even halfway worn yet. By then I was already pot committed, so I continued to waste another couple of hours finishing the job, with extra four letter words addressed to myself throughout the remainder of the process.

Moral of the story: pull your wheels off and look at how much pads you got left. It is probably way more than you will assume! And factory brake pads are probably designed to not wear out until the vehicle reaches its second owner!

• Like 1

Silverado brakes last 80-120k miles easily unless used in severe conditions.

• Like 1

If yes, at how many miles and which ones did you go with? Did you also get new rotors? If yes, which ones did you go with?

I'm at 38,000 miles and approaching 45,000-50,000 miles very soon, this is typically when I change my brake pads/rotors, being this is the first truck i've ever owned brand new, i'm a little concerned about brake pad brands and rotors..

My GMT-900 Silverado didn't need a brake job until 95,000 miles. These trucks are supposed to go even longer.

Edited by Silverado-Hareek
  • Like 2

Any chance you've driven Dodges in the past?

• Like 2

When you have your tires rotated next, take a look at them. I bet they will go way past 50,000 miles if you don't tow or live in the hills, maybe 1 1/2 to 2 times that. But a lot has to do with how you drive and with what type of load, etc.. The pad wear indicators (squealers) are a really good indicator. You'll still have plenty of safe pad left when the squealers start making noise.

• Like 1

Or the GMT400 trucks too. Friends of mine had them and they would need brakes every 20,000-25,000.

Silverado brakes last 80-120k miles easily unless used in severe conditions.

On my old truck (gmt800), I got less than that on the brake lines.

On my old truck (gmt800), I got less than that on the brake lines.

See the last part of my post. Severe conditions. Since 1999 silverado brakes have lasted a good amount of miles for the average consumer.

My 2000 Silverado 1500 went 170000 mileson fronts that truck had 4 wheel disc. My 2009 Sierra I was able to get 90000 on fronts but I had rear drum and I changed the shoes at 124000. This was with a lot of towing with both trucks. I wouldn't worry to much about it until you get above 60000. Just look at your pads when you Change your oil.

• Like 1

not quite sure I understand...

my previous vehicles were bmw and mazdaspeed3

See the last part of my post. Severe conditions. Since 1999 silverado brakes have lasted a good amount of miles for the average consumer.

Severe conditions? What do you mean? I drove it on the same roads I've driven every other vehicle (GM and non-GM) I've owned--none of which had brake line problems. Given that I rarely towed (just a light utility trailer at that) and mostly used the truck for commuting, I don't see how I'm not the poster child for "average consumer."

Edited by ghgmi

not quite sure I understand...

my previous vehicles were bmw and mazdaspeed3

Thinly veiled, bad joke. Every Dodge I've ever known absolutely devoured the brakes. Mostly due to small size and bad proportioning. Watch the front rims on any Dodge truck made. Black, all then time. My Dakota QC might get 25k, and I was a bit terrified every time I needed to use the brakes. To the extent that I actually upgraded them.

• Like 1

Thinly veiled, bad joke. Every Dodge I've ever known absolutely devoured the brakes. Mostly due to small size and bad proportioning. Watch the front rims on any Dodge truck made. Black, all then time. My Dakota QC might get 25k, and I was a bit terrified every time I needed to use the brakes. To the extent that I actually upgraded them.

Gotcha :thumbs:

Very happy to know that I won't be doing a brake job on this truck for a good while, i'll just make note of checking them once my truck hits 50,000 miles :driving: