folding tonneaus - gator/bakflip/extang ???

Not sure what the difference is between the signature and trifecta, but that's what I like, two spring loaded pull clamps at the back, fold it up, clip it to drive, or unscrew the two simple clamps at the front and it's off.

The signature is a canvas top, whereas the regular one is a vinyl top. Signature series costs a little bit more.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the BAK VP (had the BAK F1 on my last truck). Got the VP this time to just have something different. I had an Undercover solid hard top on a previous truck and was constantly taking it off, so a foldable hard top is my preference. I've had 3 issues with my VP: 1) The bolts that hold the cover on at the front stripped very easily (I probably tightened them too tight), but customer service sent new bolts without any hassle; 2) Since the top is vinyl covered, "stuff" sticks to it very easily, so I clean it a lot and treat it monthly with 303 protectant; 3) when it was cold, the rubber hinges and top were very stiff. I was afraid it was going to crack, but it didn't. I also had one of the mouldings come loose near the tailgate, but a little Gorilla Super Glue fixed that. I've read where other guys had issues with leaks, but mine has never leaked and I check after every wash. I'm not sure what i would get next time. I put it on within a few days of my getting my truck, so it's been on there two years...but my truck lives in the garage most of the time. I hope this helps.

Had the Bakflip on my previous truck and loved it. Passed the rough winter test here in Canada. Budget wasn't the same when I bought my Sierra so went with the GMC soft fold tonneau cover. It was less than $500 CAD at the dealer and for the price can't complain. Easy and fast to install/fold/remove. Work out of town so last winter it has up to 3 weeks worth of snow accumulation on it and didn't break, Definitively getting another Bakflip as soon this one breaks or can afford to get it.

Had a Bakflip F1 on my Ram for 5 years, no problems. Seals were still good, it still looked nice (although did show some signs of wear from use if you looked closely), and it still kept the bed mostly dry - when it did leak, it was never enough to pool, just made the line-x darker in spots. I'm getting another F1 installed on my new Sierra later this week.

I have the Backflip G2 and am happy with it. Haven't had any water get in from rain. Only time I have had any water get in was when I used a pressure washer to wash the truck. Even then, only a little bit of water made it in; not enough to pool but could see it was a bit wet in a couple of places.

I have the Backflip G2 and am happy with it. Haven't had any water get in from rain. Only time I have had any water get in was when I used a pressure washer to wash the truck. Even then, only a little bit of water made it in; not enough to pool but could see it was a bit wet in a couple of places.

How do the drain tubes work? Are they very noticeable? I read some reviews stating they had to use different tubes because they were too large for the drain holes in the bed, and I saw a bakflip installed on my buddy's tundra and seemed like he had more tubing going into a "T" at the front of the bed, I wouldn't like that showing in the bed if that's the case for aesthetic purposes and just in case I snag them on something and rip them

How do the drain tubes work? Are they very noticeable? I read some reviews stating they had to use different tubes because they were too large for the drain holes in the bed, and I saw a bakflip installed on my buddy's tundra and seemed like he had more tubing going into a "T" at the front of the bed, I wouldn't like that showing in the bed if that's the case for aesthetic purposes and just in case I snag them on something and rip them

Actually not very noticeable at all. The tubes are attached to the cab end of the rails and are up, out of the way. I ran mine out two of the removable tie down anchor holes in the upper part of the bed toward the cab and drain between the cab and bed. To seal out the elements, I drilled holes in the two removable tie down hole covers and ran the tube through them - tubing is round and anchor holes are oval. The tubing used on mine collapsed a bit where they were bent through, so I cut the tubes and added two plastic 90 degree elbows. Don't have to do this, but I added the elbows because they were cheap (Home Depot) and, well, because I could. Works great and doesn't snag on anything!

I put a BakFlip Fibremax on my '15 because i also wanted access to the whole bed. Over the winter I got a small ammount of water through the hindge in only one spot. The seal in the cab end started comming off. I could have fixed it with some trim tape, but i thought I'd comtact Bak and see what they said. They asked for some pictures, I sent them from after a wild thunderstorm. Maybe 3-4 drops made it through. Bak said they would be sending me a seal kit. The next week there was a complete new cover sitting on my front porch. Can't beat that for costomer service! I'm going to glue the trim back on to the old one and have a clean spare in the barn.

20150225_143623.jpg

I put a BakFlip Fibremax on my '15 because i also wanted access to the whole bed. Over the winter I got a small ammount of water through the hindge in only one spot. The seal in the cab end started comming off. I could have fixed it with some trim tape, but i thought I'd comtact Bak and see what they said. They asked for some pictures, I sent them from after a wild thunderstorm. Maybe 3-4 drops made it through. Bak said they would be sending me a seal kit. The next week there was a complete new cover sitting on my front porch. Can't beat that for costomer service! I'm going to glue the trim back on to the old one and have a clean spare in the barn.

20150225_143623.jpg

Thanks for the info, I have read such mixed reviews on these covers it's really tough to make a call, seems like there's no getting away from some compromise in water tightness/fitment/quality while getting such a versatile/low profile cover.

Seems like most (70%?) love the cover and the balance are split between being somewhat satisfied to hating the cover entirely lol. It's just a lot of cash to shell out for what is essentially a "basic" accessory....to not have it function properly and having to make some home repairs on it seems like it could definitely be a letdown, but the most common issue seems to be what you describe w/ some of the rubber gaskets/seals at the seams wearing and heavy duty glue/tape as you mention seems to be the fix.

Did you buy direct from Bak? Also read that they don't honor warranty unless you buy direct....although the prices from car id/real truck/amazon etc all seem pretty comparable to the prices they offer right off the website.

I ordered it through Bakflip.com (an authorized dealer). I had a hard shell on another truck and while it was very secure and water resistant, I spent way too much time taking it off so I could use my truck as a truck.

Just buy from whoever they list as "authorized". I've seen this same issue from a number of aftermarket manufacturers. Amazon is not always honored and may have "aged" stock (not current product).

Something else on the Bakflip... to my knowledge, they do not provide a seal for the tailgate. Meaning, the sides and bottom of the bed at the tailgate have a gap unless you buy a seal yourself to put there. The bakflip will seal along the top edge of the tailgate. It's about $30 most places to get this seal, and worth it IMO. Keeps a lot of dust and water out. Easy to install on your own.

Thought I'd put that out there. If you just have the cover and do not seal the tailgate, I can see where more water would get in.

Drain tubes aren't overly noticeable. I can get you a picture showing them when I get home.

Archived