folding tonneaus - gator/bakflip/extang ???

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I understand it any cover that uses add on rails inside the bed will need drain tubes to channel out the water that gets into the rails.

The only type that don't need drain tubes are ones that sit on top of the bed rails.

I have the Extang Encore (and on previous trucks had the Extang Solid Fold). I think they are by far the best application. You can stand on them. They're much more water tight than competitors I've tried. And I just like the rugged yet professional look.

On the flip side, I had a BakFlip hard folding cover once and absolutely hated it. Only after being "that guy" did they finally offer to swap it out (I'd have just preferred my money back) but they new one had the exact same lack-of-water-tight issues (I'd get a LOT of standing water in the bed, not just a few drips). I ultimately had to pay to send it back and promised I would never buy anything from them again. They were terrible to work with.

Bak had such a bad reputation on several truck forums a couple years back and were know as Bak suck or Bakflop.

I have the Extang Encore (and on previous trucks had the Extang Solid Fold). I think they are by far the best application. You can stand on them. They're much more water tight than competitors I've tried. And I just like the rugged yet professional look.

On the flip side, I had a BakFlip hard folding cover once and absolutely hated it. Only after being "that guy" did they finally offer to swap it out (I'd have just preferred my money back) but they new one had the exact same lack-of-water-tight issues (I'd get a LOT of standing water in the bed, not just a few drips). I ultimately had to pay to send it back and promised I would never buy anything from them again. They were terrible to work with.

I have used the Bakflip G2's on two previous trucks and was very happy with them. This time around I am going to switch it up and try the Fold-a-cover G4 Elite. I hope I do not regret it.

That's what I installed. Love it. That said - installation was a PITA. I am extremely mechanically inclined so this was not a skill issue, it was the fact that even their installation video does not tell you in detail how to TRULY adjust the latches.

In my case, I had the whole thing on in about 30 minutes (being very retentive) - but literally took HOURS to adjust. Ultimately, I called their tech support and the explained the barrel adjustment for the latching. It is NOT just for timing like they indicate. In fact, I adjusted it for timing in about 2 minutes. That was easy. However, both latches wouldn't fully latch all the way around the striker. Turns out they were adjusted way too tight from the factory and needed to be loosened. So although the barrel adjustment does in fact adjust for timing - it really does control how tight they latch and whether or not the latches fully close.

Hope that helps.

That's what I installed. Love it. That said - installation was a PITA. I am extremely mechanically inclined so this was not a skill issue, it was the fact that even their installation video does not tell you in detail how to TRULY adjust the latches.

In my case, I had the whole thing on in about 30 minutes (being very retentive) - but literally took HOURS to adjust. Ultimately, I called their tech support and the explained the barrel adjustment for the latching. It is NOT just for timing like they indicate. In fact, I adjusted it for timing in about 2 minutes. That was easy. However, both latches wouldn't fully latch all the way around the striker. Turns out they were adjusted way too tight from the factory and needed to be loosened. So although the barrel adjustment does in fact adjust for timing - it really does control how tight they latch and whether or not the latches fully close.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the heads up, I picked it up last night but probably won't get around to installing it until Thursday or Friday after work, but this will probably save me some headaches.

Thanks for the heads up, I picked it up last night but probably won't get around to installing it until Thursday or Friday after work, but this will probably save me some headaches.

PM me if you have questions. I can also forward my number if you run into issues - I don't close my Customer Service Line at 5:00 p.m. :)

PM me if you have questions. I can also forward my number if you run into issues - I don't close my Customer Service Line at 5:00 p.m. :)

Haha, I will keep that in mind. Luckily it isn't imperative that I get it done as it isn't my only source of transportation but you might get a PM or two.

Well its getting closer to fall/winter now in MA and I think I've decided on the Bak Revolver X2 http://www.bakflip.com/p-361-bak-revolver-x2-tonneau-cover.aspx

I was also looking at the Extang EMax, and while it is $400 cheaper ($500 vs. $900 on the bak roughly) there's a few things that turned me off - #1 - while its great that it allows full access to the bed (this is important to me), it does block the rear window like other full access tonneaus, #2 - I don't like that it is soft w/ what seems like no paneling, would be easy to tear accidentally or if someone was looking to get into the contents of your truck, and #3 - The locking mechanism/latches seem like they protrude downward on the sides of the bed at least 4-6" - this is a deal breaker for me since I have an undercover swingcase and I am guessing the latches for the Emax would be in the way of the swingcase and vice versa.

For the Bak Revolver X2, I guess I'll wait for an "official" review until I have it installed, but it really seems to nail all things well - its solid yet full folding, can support 400 lbs even distributed, protects against theft very well, can open/close the tailgate w/ the cover in place, cannot open the cover or get to the latches w/ the tailgate locked, provides nearly full bed access when rolled all the way AND you can still see out of the back window and open the window, Lastly - unlike many low-profile fully folding covers it seems to give more coverage and lap over the bed rails better and based on reviews is good at preventing water penetration - also does not require drain tubes.

Pricey, but looks to be of very good quality/sturdy and offers alot of features you can't find combined w/ other tonneaus.

I see a lot of folks taking issue with the folding hard covers blocking the rear window. Why? If you have to have the cover folded, it's because whatever you're putting in the bed comes up above the height of the cover. It would seem to me that the chances are pretty good that whatever is tall enough to come up above the cover also poses the "threat" of blocking your view out the rear window. So, who cares if the cover blocks it?

For the record, DOT / federal highway laws only require a single, side-mounted (on the driver's door) rear-facing mirror to see behind you. So, there's no law being violated by blocking that view.

I see a lot of folks taking issue with the folding hard covers blocking the rear window. Why? If you have to have the cover folded, it's because whatever you're putting in the bed comes up above the height of the cover. It would seem to me that the chances are pretty good that whatever is tall enough to come up above the cover also poses the "threat" of blocking your view out the rear window. So, who cares if the cover blocks it?

For the record, DOT / federal highway laws only require a single, side-mounted (on the driver's door) rear-facing mirror to see behind you. So, there's no law being violated by blocking that view.

I agree with you, having had two trucks with bakflips I can only think of less than a handful of times that I actually had to block the backglass to haul something. I have a sneaking suspicion that the fold-a-top on my truck will be swapped out for a bakflip G2 before long.

Archived