diameter of stock exhaust on 14+ 6.2 trucks?

3.5" from the "Y" Back

Sent from Off Driller Side

I have owned both 5.3/6.2 and I have done custom exhaust on both. It's exactly 3.5" like I said earlier.

Edited by TDT

It can end when he shows he has a 3.5" exhaust on his truck that no other 6.2 I have seen since inception of these does. Don't make conflicts out of things that aren't if you don't mind......

Let me clear this up... You are absolutely wrong. Please go troll the neon forums where you belong.

Let me clear this up... You are absolutely wrong. Please go troll the neon forums where you belong.

How exactly? Explain. Right... you can't because I am correct and that apparently is maddening to some of you lol. The only trolls are the select few that just get mad when someone doesn't agree with them with nothing else to back it. Oh yeah... this too....

Quote:

DATE

November 14, 2013

SUBJECT

UPDATE: Affects vehicle order and delivery: Accessory Exhaust Tip 6.2L L86

MODELS

2014 Silverado and Sierra – LD Only

TO

Chevrolet and GMC Dealers

ATTN

Sales Manager, Service Manager, Parts Manager

Updated information is provided in “blue” text.

Issue:

Important: This issue impacts vehicles with LPO’s – PDQ, GAJ, VQZ and PDV.

Accessory exhaust tip part number 22911703 is currently released for vehicles equipped with 6.2L L86 engine.

The 6.2L L86 is produced with a 3.0” exhaust. Accessory exhaust tip part number 22911703 fits 3.5” exhaust.

A new 3.0” exhaust tip (part number 23435023) is being released for the 6.2L L86 exhaust. Initial inventory of the new part will be used to fill LPO sales only.

Solution:

New LPO accessory orders are being placed for exhaust tip p/n 23435023. The ADI’s will be shipping the new exhaust tip to the dealer for LPO installation. Dealers should install new exhaust tip part number 23435023 prior to delivery of vehicle to customer.

If exhaust tip 22911703 was already shipped to dealer to fill the LPO order, dealer should plus that part into parts inventory and use for future ACO sale.

The accessory and parts catalogs are being updated to remove 6.2L L86 usage from part number 22911703.

DO NOT order or install part number 22911703 on 2014 LD Silverado and Sierra equipped with 6.2L L86 engines.

END OF MESSAGE

GM CUSTOMER CARE & AFTERSALES

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Edited by Badass69

Dude, you keep referencing the exhaust TIP nobody gives a damn about the diameter of the the exhaust tip except ricers. I wanted to know the diameter of the exhaust TUBING from the cats back to the tip, and it's 3.5" as others have noted, the 5.3 is 3"

3.5" is very wide from the factory it's nice they come that way but the stock exhaust is way way too quiet.

FWIW the Gibson catback I ordered also comes w/ 3" TIPS but the rest of the exhaust is 3.5"

Nope...

My tailpipe is 3.5" OD

Caliper measured

Side by side with a 5.3L (3") it is visually easy to see difference.

Went to get a stainless steel tip for my stock exhaust....yes it was a 3.5" in tip.

Seems some are...some are not.

Mine is

Edited by bosro

Well it is GM we are talking about. They are not 100% consistent in that they change things based on supplier availability. And wouldn't you know it, my stock exhaust had a 3" flapper valve pipe after the muffler that went to a 3.5" tip. Go figure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stand corrected and apologize...

I can't believe it and am not surprise at the same time.

Hahahaha funny thing is everyone going back and forth, I started the thread, well I went and checked out my 6.2 truck (2015 GMC) and the tip is 3" the piping is 3.5" after the Y and muffler and tapers down wtf?! I did specifically notice 6.2 trucks w/ wider slash cut stock (not polished) tips.

Meh, doesn't matter anyways I still have 3.5" after the Y which is what I was concerned about because I want 3.5" catback for good flow.....I didn't want to "choke" the exhaust more than it needed to be yet seems GM has done that for some lucky owners without anyone knowing lol!

Hahahaha funny thing is everyone going back and forth, I started the thread, well I went and checked out my 6.2 truck (2015 GMC) and the tip is 3" the piping is 3.5" after the Y and muffler and tapers down wtf?! I did specifically notice 6.2 trucks w/ wider slash cut stock (not polished) tips.

Meh, doesn't matter anyways I still have 3.5" after the Y which is what I was concerned about because I want 3.5" catback for good flow.....I didn't want to "choke" the exhaust more than it needed to be yet seems GM has done that for some lucky owners without anyone knowing lol!

My exhaust is 3.5" all the way back, I just can't believe GM would put two different exhaust systems on these things The two other 6.2's I have looked at had the same size as mine because that is how I picked the 6.2's out on the lot. I'm sure all you guys reporting otherwise can measure a pipe so I guess GM is mixing and matching.

I'm curious....I've got a Chev

Is it possible it's a GM Chev thing?

The 2 trucks I have a caliper on are both Chevs. If I go back to town I could look and see where the 3" is and isn't. I read one guy complain his muffler was 3".. others the flapper is 3" and then the tail from the resonator is also 3".

It used to be nice when they all had 3.5" tailpipes for easy identification but they don't. I think those guys in town have 3 or 4 6.2's on the lot.

The very first 6.2 I drove was one of the first two a GM dealer in a city got back in December of 2013. It had this 3" tailpipe too as I even commented to the sales guy you couldn't just tailpipe shop anymore. It was a GMC.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Edited by Badass69