Stock wheels on lifted trucks!

I want to get the 7.5 rough country on 16 Silverado and run the factory 22's. They say a 1/4 inch spacer is required but it seems people had success without the spacer. Any personal experiences on here running the lift on factory wheels?

• 1 month later...

I am hoping this is not a dead topic. I have been searching literally all day as I was hoping to make my purchase today. I have a 2015 silverado 2wd. I want to buy a lift and new tires. Kicker is I want to keep the stock 18's. I have looked at all of the following:

3.5 inch rough country with the control arms (says I can only do a 285/65 although I have heard bigger work) mixed reviews on this kit.

5 inch rough country (says I can only do a 285/65 although I have heard bigger work)

6.5 inch zone (doesn't look like I can use my stock 18's at all because backspacing is too big compared to the fitment guide)

7.5 inch rough country (says I can run a 295/70 but I have heard bigger work) mixed reviews on this kit.

So literally the questions of the day are how big of a lift and how big of tires can I fit on my stock 18's staying within this realm of lift kits. PLEASE help.

No experience with 2WD trucks, but on 4x4s with stock 18x8.5s (+24 offset) a 295 width tire is about all you can do unless you run spacers to push the rim away from the UCAs and swaybar.

295/65 (33x11.7) is about the largest you can run with any sort of lift 4" or less.

Remember that most knuckle lifts won't allow you to run stock rims at all without a 1.5" spacer. Bracket lifts usually allow use of stock tires, but the higher you go with your truck, the wider you will want your tires and 295s might look silly on a 6" lift.

I'm in a similar situation as I love my stock rims but it hamstrings me on lift options as I do too much hauling and towing to use spacers.

I am running a rough country bracket lift. 5 inch kit netted me 6 inches of lift without the tires. I think your problem with the knuckle lifts will be the 18 inch wheels . I know alot have done it with 20's even though most kits say you cant . Benefits to a knuckle kits are that they give you the clearance to run wider tires in the front. The negative part of that is as i mentioned before you may not be able to run 18 inch wheels and you front wheel track will be wider than the rear by 1 inch or more on each side.

I have researched plenty on my options to go bigger without rubbing. I know in 20 inch a few companies make a metric size tire the that is taller and narrower than a 35 x12.5 but they are pricey. Which is why i am waiting for my tires to wear out.

Edited by mrhonestlyinsane

• 3 weeks later...

2ac0d75f75d31481f8259824ceddfa11.jpgc322a4f7092daadf82ad9d3f518d7d31.jpg

There is my contribution.

Sent by a simpleton struggling to operate an iPhone.

Great Looking truck man! Did you have to trim the studs at all for those 1.5 inch Bora spacers? Thinking of putting them on mine due to a good amount of UCA rubbing with my 33x12.50s.

Also, would you be able to post some pics down the side of the truck so I can see how far they stick out? I've got OEM GMC A/T wheels on mine, which i believe should be the same offset as your SLT wheels

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1453831936.176569.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1453831949.184528.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1453831979.515107.jpg

Note: I do have 1.75" wheel spacers

Could you post some pics from the side of the truck? Ive got a 2.5 level and OEM GMC A/T wheels and am trying to get a feel for what wheel spacers would look like looking down the side of the truck. I get rub on the UCA and have to do something...

my 33x12.50 sit just about perfectly flush with the wells now

Could you post some pics from the side of the truck? Ive got a 2.5 level and OEM GMC A/T wheels and am trying to get a feel for what wheel spacers would look like looking down the side of the truck. I get rub on the UCA and have to do something...

my 33x12.50 sit just about perfectly flush with the wells now

I've since sold the truck and don't have any pictures of it like you wanted. Sorry.

I've since sold the truck and don't have any pictures of it like you wanted. Sorry.

No worries man, was a great looking truck. I assume you didn't have to shave any off of the stock studs to accommodate for that 1.75 wheel spacer did you?

No worries man, was a great looking truck. I assume you didn't have to shave any off of the stock studs to accommodate for that 1.75 wheel spacer did you?

1.75" is the minimum on GM trucks to not have to cut studs. As I recall with my tire size of 275/60r20 and my Bushwacker Flares my tires were flush with the flare and stuck out with the Flares obviously but not much, my Flares only extended .75" I think.

I used 1.25" spacers with stock wheels and did not have to trim the studs. I swapped the 1.25" spacers for Bora 1.5" spacers and no trimming was required either.

The pockets on the back of the various stock wheels might be different but here are the wheels I have:

33215806125_da8ed094c6_h.jpg

1.75" is the minimum on GM trucks to not have to cut studs. As I recall with my tire size of 275/60r20 and my Bushwacker Flares my tires were flush with the flare and stuck out with the Flares obviously but not much, my Flares only extended .75" I think.

Okay good deal. I appreciate the information. I just dont want mine to stick out too far and have rocks stick in my tread and tear up the side of my truck....with that being said, I also want to avoid cutting the stock studs at all costs.....decisions decisions.....

I am running a rough country bracket lift. 5 inch kit netted me 6 inches of lift without the tires. I think your problem with the knuckle lifts will be the 18 inch wheels . I know alot have done it with 20's even though most kits say you cant . Benefits to a knuckle kits are that they give you the clearance to run wider tires in the front. The negative part of that is as i mentioned before you may not be able to run 18 inch wheels and you front wheel track will be wider than the rear by 1 inch or more on each side.

I have researched plenty on my options to go bigger without rubbing. I know in 20 inch a few companies make a metric size tire the that is taller and narrower than a 35 x12.5 but they are pricey. Which is why i am waiting for my tires to wear out.

So that was what I was looking to do. Reuse my 18 inch rims when I got a BDS 4 inch lift. So there is really no way to include them with out a space which will stick them even further out from the body of the truck?

Is it possible to get aftermarket 18 inch that will work? Or really 18 should be avoided?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I used 1.25" spacers with stock wheels and did not have to trim the studs. I swapped the 1.25" spacers for Bora 1.5" spacers and no trimming was required either.

The pockets on the back of the various stock wheels might be different but here are the wheels I have:

33215806125_da8ed094c6_h.jpg

Good point! I forgot that some GM wheels have that pocket that will let you use wheel spacers less than 1.25", my 20's did not have the pockets.