In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

97 GMC Sierra 5.0L No power shifts funny and ABS doesnt work

hello everyone I have a 97 GMC Sierra with a 305 and electronic shift trans it has a lot of issues that I'm trying to sort out first of all on cold start it idles super low (200- 400 rpms) for a few seconds and then picks up and shudders and shakes for a minuet then goes to normal idle once it warms up it stars to drop to low rpms (any where between 100 to 400) and dies out when I rev it it revs super slow and hesitates when I go to drive it it falls on its face on take off it kinda cuts out at first but slowly and I mean slowly picks up speed all the while it back fires and slightly lunges now once I get moving the trans doesnt want to shift until I let off the gas no matter the throttle position and the speedometer jumps around like crazy and never shows my correct speed the brake and ABS light are on sometimes they go off but normally on look at the videos to see how bad it is any help would be great so far I have replaced the plugs and wires cleaned the cap replaced the button and the TPS cleaned the MAF sensor and cleaned the trans speed sensor

videos:

VSS

vehicle speed sensor

start there, it should still be in the left side of transfer.

may as well get the front two .. those are cheap.

the sensors create a voltage, if one is black holed, it will suck the life out of computing.

clear out codes for the ecm when it is done, and see how it goes. the abs for 97 may not even be data accessible (my 96 is not - fix stuff blindly)

with the brake light on at the same time.. pull up on the foot emergency brake just to rule that out. My 96 manual tranny does not have that light for parking, but it does come on for key on self test checks.. odd.

but anyway, it is really simple as a whole to figure out.

VSS is your speedometer..and there is a box called a DRAC to change the signal to the speedo wave.

VSS

vehicle speed sensor

start there, it should still be in the left side of transfer.

may as well get the front two .. those are cheap.

the sensors create a voltage, if one is black holed, it will suck the life out of computing.

clear out codes for the ecm when it is done, and see how it goes. the abs for 97 may not even be data accessible (my 96 is not - fix stuff blindly)

with the brake light on at the same time.. pull up on the foot emergency brake just to rule that out. My 96 manual tranny does not have that light for parking, but it does come on for key on self test checks.. odd.

but anyway, it is really simple as a whole to figure out.

VSS is your speedometer..and there is a box called a DRAC to change the signal to the speedo wave.

where are the front 2 loacated?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By chevelleusaf
      TIA for your help and time…

BLUF: Ticking noise under truck, not heard from top of engine compartment.

I noticed a ticking/clicking/pinging noise under my truck today, took a video, hopefully you can hear it.  Anyone else?

Truck was in Park and Neutral (Parking brake engaged) and still heard the sounds.

• By Henry L
      2020 Silverado 2500, have taken this truck to two different GM dealers and they cannot find an issue. At the at the 7-pin plug when the manual gain is depressed at 100%, it only puts out 7 volts. Need 12 to lock up brakes. Cannot properly set up my gain when hooked to trailer before towing. Dealership has replaced fuse block brake controller and I had them change out the plug on the bumper. Still the same. At neither dealership have they been able to give me voltage going in the controller and coming out. One even said they can't put a volt meter on it. I believe it's a wire somewhere. But due to my health issues I cannot physically work on my truck. I'm probably going to end up taking it to an auto electrician. Any thoughts!
    • By filib96
      I need to add power to my power seats can I get ground and power from my audio system 🔊 and connect it to the pins on the seat plug to be able to get power and move the seat
    • By Nate_110
      Hey everyone. I have a 2016 Sierra Denali. A while back I opted to do away with the magnaride struts and installed BIlstein 6112s in the front with Cognito UCAs and BIlstein 5100s in the rear, also added Xineering bypass kit to clear the Magnaride errors. I had an issue recently with the stop mount on the drivers side strut blowing out. I contacted BIlstein about it and the rep told me he thought he had been told that the distance between the LCA and where the strut mounts into the truck frame at the top on a magnaride equipped Denali is shorter than a normal Sierra and that it was possible that the strut was too compressed, causing it to push through the top mount. Has anyone ever heard this or experienced this issue? I can’t find anything mentioned about it anywhere. I’m taking the truck in next week to get it fixed but if it’s going to just happen again I am wondering if I need to get different struts all together. 
    • By W8MCC
      Were working on getting an 86 k10 back on the road.  The trans slips between gears and doesn't have a working OD.

Does this sound like a master rebuild kit fix, or should we be looking for another trans and just swap it in.

I'm sure we could work through rebuilding it, but this would be my first time trying to fix one.

Anyway, just wondering what to expect.  Things like, how do you know if the pump is good, torque converter, any hard parts that could be broke that would save me the cost of the rebuild kit in case I just have to replace the trans anyway...etc...

Thanks!