2016 Yukon Denali ride issues

Same issue here with my Tahoe. Dealer must have spent 2 days balancing tires, aligning etc, before telling me that they were going to look at the headline fix. At this point the truck has been at service for more days than I have had it. Can't I just get my money back???

I cannot believe the 2016's are having this issue. Just sad (being a foolishly loyal GM guy). The roof fix does absolutely nothing--other than trashing your previously nice looking interior. No one on this forum has reported it to work, as the other guys on this forum have stated. You will now have a truck with greasy fingerprints all over the ceiling and a truck which still has the buffeting. Prepare to be more mad than ever!

Shame on GM for not going to school on the many repurchased 2015s before cranking out the 2016s. Sorry you guys are going through this. Don't take any crap...demand your money back. There is precedent with this flawed body design. Remind them of that.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a 2015 Suburban LTZ with the same problem. Vibration, wind noise, and what sounds like water puddling up when it is raining while driving (Sun Roof). The dealer in Jacksonville, Fl. doesn't have a clue as to what the problem is. Road Forced and replaced both rear tires. Replaced All 4 shocks. Trans. shifting problems.Mirrors taking 7.5 mins. to clear condensation.Rear 3dr seat now folding down flat.To pay $70,000.00 for this vehicle when we had a 20001 Tahoe with 260,00 miles and NO PROBLEMS, should haved kept it. Getting tired of being told "It's within factory specs." The only thing left is to go for the Lemon Law in Florida. I hope that will wake them up.

Whew, I'm getting alot of information about what they've tried and the engineer but nothing it seems in the dealerships opinion has worked yet:

'16 Denali has now been at the dealership(s) (which is doing a great great job at trying to fix this) for close to 25 days and counting and I've only owned it for 36 days! 1500 miles on it. Yup, it hurts, but at least they are doing their best with the resources they have access to.

I have not driven it all since it has been at the second dealership.

Roof TSB along with multiple road force balancing and new tires did not improve anything so far. Yikes! The dealership just came out and said that it's not fixed. Worse with the ANC turned off. Not going to let you drive it like this. Calling for another GM engineer visit for next week to take a whack at it.

I hear you loud and clear. I got the vibration issue resolved as well as the valve spring issue but the buffeting is still present. I LOVE the truck otherwise my stint with GM would have only lasted 2 weeks. I got mine back Wednesday after purchasing Monday a week back. In my driveway for 3 days total and at dealer for 9.

Mine is a 2015 LTZ, not a 2016, but I can report that after 10 days in for service, there has been no difference in the buffeting. Wrench589 is totally correct in stating that some people are more prone to hear it than others. To me, the buffeting is headache inducing while driving, but the service manager at my dealership cannot feel it all. They have told me they have done all they can and I am waiting on GM to determine what they want to do next. The real issue with only some people feeling it (due to whatever physical traits they have) is that it's "their" word against GM. They keep telling me, well "WE" don't feel it. Unless GM recognizes this as a REAL problem, it's going to make it very difficult to get them to take responsibility for it.

Mine is a 2015 LTZ, not a 2016, but I can report that after 10 days in for service, there has been no difference in the buffeting. Wrench589 is totally correct in stating that some people are more prone to hear it than others. To me, the buffeting is headache inducing while driving, but the service manager at my dealership cannot feel it all. They have told me they have done all they can and I am waiting on GM to determine what they want to do next. The real issue with only some people feeling it (due to whatever physical traits they have) is that it's "their" word against GM. They keep telling me, well "WE" don't feel it. Unless GM recognizes this as a REAL problem, it's going to make it very difficult to get them to take responsibility for it.

My dealer had no trouble hearing it. Neither did the GM field guy that was there.

When is GM going to take charge of these problems. Is it going to take all of us to file a class action suite against them? I guess so. I'm going to contact my counsel and see what has to be done to get it started. Stay tuned.

GM has recognized these issues as a REAL problem (TSB's) and not because of some ones particular or over sensitive physical traits.

Hmmmmmmmmm..........
I feel and hear it, owner of the dealership feels it, service manager feels it, GM Tech, my wife, friends. GM must be aware of it otherwise there wouldn't be 2 or 3 TSB's (5429 - 5318A - 5318B) issued from GM Corporation that addresses these particular issues(booming, vibrations, harsh ride, thumping when going over a crack or expansion joint and then the buffeting). Along with Consumer Reports that publicizes the TSB PIT 5429 for these same issues.
Just have to give them a little more time to sort things out. I hope.

I hear you loud and clear. I got the vibration issue resolved as well as the valve spring issue but the buffeting is still present. I LOVE the truck otherwise my stint with GM would have only lasted 2 weeks. I got mine back Wednesday after purchasing Monday a week back. In my driveway for 3 days total and at dealer for 9.

Interesting that the vibration has been resolved but the buffeting persists. Other than the roof strut re-attachment, everything GM has been doing to get rid of the buffeting has been to reduce vibrations sources - tire RF, prop shaft runout and balance, rear end gears vibration, etc. and speaking to the service manager at my dealership, there is no question tht is what they are focused on. Not what is actually doing the "booming". As I've said from the beginning, there is something fundamentally overly responsive in the structure/sheet metal on these vehicles that responds at even the slightest vibration and results in the buffeting.

GM has recognized these issues as a REAL problem (TSB's) and not because of some ones particular or over sensitive physical traits.

Hmmmmmmmmm..........

I feel and hear it, owner of the dealership feels it, service manager feels it, GM Tech, my wife, friends. GM must be aware of it otherwise there wouldn't be 2 or 3 TSB's (5429 - 5318A - 5318B) issued from GM Corporation that addresses these particular issues(booming, vibrations, harsh ride, thumping when going over a crack or expansion joint and then the buffeting). Along with Consumer Reports that publicizes the TSB PIT 5429 for these same issues.

Just have to give them a little more time to sort things out. I hope.

I wish I could share your optimism. But after almost a year and a half having complaints from customers, GM is no further ahead than they were on day one. I myself have been suffering almost a year now. It does not look promising. This will likely be a case where there really is no "fix", and the best outcome is GM improves it enough that many owners stop complaining, and a few either live with it or get rid of the vehicle and move on. Won't be the first time a vehicle had an inherent issue that was never fully resolved. Lots of lemons in automotive history. This is likely another one.

I agree that there may be individual physical differences when it comes to buffeting and pressure (my physical difference doesn’t allow me to experience this), but even an 18 year old first time driver can feel shaking and vibration. I have been driving for over 40 years, my point is everyone can feel shaking and vibration, regardless of any physical difference, period. There is no shaking and vibration in my truck leading me to believe GM will probably figure out the shaking and vibration piece, but the buffeting and pressure will continue to haunt them because of individual physical differences.

I got the vibration issue resolved...buffeting is still present

For those with buffeting and pressure, unfortunately the only total relief is going to be to get rid of this truck, an individual physical difference will be outside the scope of what GM can fix. Although, with maintenance visits the buffeting and pressure may become more tolerable.

• 2 weeks later...

Just spoke in person to a GM field technician assigned to my 2016 Denali with the hard ride, vibration, buffeting, air pressure issues: What you(16Denaliguy) are telling me (technician) about these issues is something that I've heard of a lot about these 2015/2016 Tahoes, Suburbans, Denali, Escalades. 90% of what you are explaining to me I've already heard many many times, owners of these vehicles are not happy (complaints) with the harsh ride, buffeting, air pressure all related to the designed sport suspension.

"These vehicles were designed and engineered with a hard firm ride - sport mode. Never going to ride soft. I've worked on alot of these SUV's. The buffeting, air pressure are a result of the designed firm SPORT suspension transmitting the road tire noise into the cabin. Can try to make it more comfortable with road force balancing and new tires if they are out of spec but you got what you got. Redesign probably will happen in 2018."

2 more tires out of spec so new tires are going on for the 3rd time. After that there is nothing that can be done to fix the issues.

"These vehicles were designed and engineered with a hard firm ride - sport mode. Never going to ride soft. I've worked on alot of these SUV's. The buffeting, air pressure are a result of the designed firm SPORT suspension transmitting the road tire noise into the cabin.

Hard firm ride, I made a service visit at the dealership to complain my suspension was too spongy (soft). I knew about the Magnetic and Premium ride suspensions, is there also a Sport suspension or is this a feature of the Mag Ride? My suspension could be firmer in my opinion, but I better be careful what I ask for. From generation 2 to 3 took six years. Generation 3 to 4 took eight years. This generation 4 truck won't be redesigned in three years, 2020 will be stretching it.

Hard firm ride, I made a service visit at the dealership to complain my suspension was too spongy (soft). I knew about the Magnetic and Premium ride suspensions, is there also a Sport suspension or is this a feature of the Mag Ride? My suspension could be firmer in my opinion, but I better be careful what I ask for. From generation 2 to 3 took six years. Generation 3 to 4 took eight years. This generation 4 truck won't be redesigned in three years, 2020 will be stretching it.

Depending on what model you have I'll trade you!!!!!!!

Archived