Is The Dash On Your GM Truck Cracked? New Lawsuit Launched

Gorehamj

Had a 2004 Titan. Same thing happened. Also the clear coat came off the roof and hood.

Was the Titan a Blue, Silver or white hue? Back in the 1980's & 1990's when GM cars were pealing paint, the problem happened to be that they did not put primer on the car. What it was is a expensive sealer, but the sealer was not UV stable, therefore those blue, silver, white hues that were not in the Red, Yellow, Orange family (these colors need more solids & pigment for proper tint) allowed the UV rays to filter past the paint and attack the sealer.

Likewise clear-coats that are not UV stabilized will peal.

My wife owned a blue interior 1997 Lumina 4 door Sedan when we got married, it had a trim piece around the defroster duct. The whole plastic piece shrived and looked wavy like a shinkie-dink. Went to a junkyard and popped one out and put it in her car, but when I removed hers it broke into a billion pieces, I had to vacuum out the defroster ducts and dash best I could, as well as the carpet. Best I could figure It was a faulty piece and they forgot something important in the plastic when it was molded...

I suspect the dash went to the lowest bidder in China...

Was the Titan a Blue, Silver or white hue? Back in the 1980's & 1990's when GM cars were pealing paint, the problem happened to be that they did not put primer on the car. What it was is a expensive sealer, but the sealer was not UV stable, therefore those blue, silver, white hues that were not in the Red, Yellow, Orange family (these colors need more solids & pigment for proper tint) allowed the UV rays to filter past the paint and attack the sealer.

Likewise clear-coats that are not UV stabilized will peal.

It was a 2004 red/maroon like color. I think Nissan did something screwy with their paints. I notice a lot of older nissans around 2004 time frame have a peeling clear coat. It's always the same spots. On the roof right above the windshield and on the hood right below the windshield. My dash cracked in two places. Not to mention my front dif. Just cracked out of nowhere on the top of the dif. Sold it and got a 2014 Silverado. Hopefully none of this will happen again.

I did some reading a couple years ago on different GM Truck forums about this problem. And after doing so, I came to the conclusion that most of the problems were from forum members that lived in the southern states. I don't think cold winter weather is a factor, but rather the hotter climate relating to direct sun exposure. However, for someone that lives in the cooler northern climate, could very well experience this same problem by say, driving to work in the summertime exposed to direct sunlight 8-10 hours a day in the parking lot. That and 100+ degree temps inside the vehicle just makes the situation more likely.

Edited by Service1956

That plastic is missing something malleable. They could save a lot of money by giving advice on a coating, Armor All type something.

I am at 350k miles, 19 years... Faultless. Zero errors. The last drama with dashes was the 70s, mid 80s.

they did change frame designs to tougher for the given years mentioned for a lawsuit. They ran with c-rails so long they mastered the frequencies the cabs get.

It actually makes sense to see 2007 and onward with some minor problems.. harder trucks.

they never fixed nitrile cab mounts for 50 years either...

I am so farkin' disappointed; when I grew up Chevy Trucks were "Built Like A Rock"; well not the 2008 K1500 I bought. It tossed a ground up transfer case at 15 months like a school girl screaming. Clunks in the drive train nothing can fix, AFM cylinder walls getting scraped up and oil consumption of more than a QT in 3000 miles. Oil pan gasket so broken at 48K miles it drained oil all over my drive way, axle seals in the front dripping grease...

Dash is cracked in all the safety issue spots like the rest, Bed shakes like its ready to come loose off of the frame over railroad tracks, but "everything is Normal"

Looks like Ford is the only US manufacture I have left after this one???

Edited by ArtU

I have had the drivers inner door handle replaced at either 12K or 15K because of the chrome peeling. Dash replaced at 26K due to cracking and now the paint on my outer drivers door handle is peeling... I am at 38K and the paint has been peeling for a few thousand miles now. all common issues shown in video

:chevrolet::M16::lol:

I am so farkin' disappointed; when I grew up Chevy Trucks were "Built Like A Rock"; well not the 2008 K1500 I bought. It tossed a ground up transfer case at 15 months like a school girl screaming. Clunks in the drive train nothing can fix, AFM cylinder walls getting scraped up and oil consumption of more than a QT in 3000 miles. Oil pan gasket so broken at 48K miles it drained oil all over my drive way, axle seals in the front dripping grease...

Dash is cracked in all the safety issue spots like the rest, Bed shakes like its ready to come loose off of the frame over railroad tracks, but "everything is Normal"

Looks like Ford is the only US manufacture I have left after this one???

If it makes you feel any better, the 5.4L in my Ford was drinking a quart of oil every 2500 miles. Started doing this around the 30K mark. To make you feel all warm and cozy, the tranny in that truck failed at 66K miles! I was pissed and now drive this. I have had a few common issues with this truck but nothing that would make me look at Ford again anytime soon.