So I've been pretty un-happy with the factory brake feel for a while now. I don't like the initial bite and I think they require allot of heat to really get good feed-back from them. So I decided to upgrade to Hawk HPS Front and Rear pads along with the Hawk HUS8657 Quiet Slot Front Rotors. I've used Hawk pads previously in my Auto X car and have nothing but good things to say about them, hopefully these will also be the case. Normally I would of left the O.E rotors but Hawk advertises improved initial bite and Amazon is selling these at pretty much 50% off.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004D2UKPG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

tQ4PA4v.jpg

mElEDsg.jpg

I'll be installing these in a few days and I'll give a good comparison of the new setup.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Be sure to update on how these work for you.

I will be switching over to hawk pads once my OEM are gone. Was interested in the HPS line as well.

How many miles do you have in your truck for the brakes to be gone? Heavy towing/warped rotors?

How many miles do you have in your truck for the brakes to be gone? Heavy towing/warped rotors?

He didn't say his brakes were "gone" or wore out. He said he just didn't like the "feel".

My brakes are fine right now, i'm at about 45,000 miles.

I still have about 5 or 6/32" left so i should be good for another 30,000 or so.

My brakes are fine right now, i'm at about 45,000 miles.

I still have about 5 or 6/32" left so i should be good for another 30,000 or so.

Hah, I went back and reread that, would have been the first new body style truck I have heard of needing brakes already.

So I just wanted to give a proper update since I was finally able to have these installed yesterday.

All I have to say is, wow! When I first picked up my truck from the mechanic I was a little skeptical and uncertain because the pads felt soft, like wayy softer than the OE pads. Not being new to having new brake pads I drove a few minutes down to an empty road and proceeded to begin the bed in process. 8, 35mph to 0 hard brake stops and another 5, 60mph to 0 stops. Needless to say I could smell the rotors and pads getting hot. After that I drove twenty minutes on the highway and as soon as I slid onto the off-ramp and began slowing down I was greeted with a very nice, and stiff bite.

These pads rock, I no longer have to increase brake pressure when coming to a stop because the OE pads lack friction. I can feel the brakes grabbing harder and stopping sooner by using less brake pressure. This is exactly what I wanted and would honestly recommend this setup to anyone wanting to increase braking performance on a budget. I spent $325 for the front rotors and front and rear pads. Add another $100 to get them installed, but anyone with a garage and basic knowledge could knock this out in a few hours. Very good purchase and good upgrade.

WfhLLyR.jpg

Brand new rotors never driven on.

khvdD0A.jpg

After bedding in. With a sneak peak of the Bilsteins.

:cool:

The one thing I'll ask you update us on is the amount of brake dust this new setup accumulates.

I notice that the OEM pads and rotors do NOT accumulate very much brake dust at all. Every time I go to wash the wheels they are only dirty from road grime and what not. Never brake dust.

Compared to my Dad's 2014 Ram. the inside of the barrel and the spokes of his wheels are always covered in brake dust.

The one thing I'll ask you update us on is the amount of brake dust this new setup accumulates.

I notice that the OEM pads and rotors do NOT accumulate very much brake dust at all. Every time I go to wash the wheels they are only dirty from road grime and what not. Never brake dust.

Compared to my Dad's 2014 Ram. the inside of the barrel and the spokes of his wheels are always covered in brake dust.

I'll keep you posted for sure. I'll be getting rid of my 20" alloys by the end of next week when the new wheels come in, so its gonna be hard to really see how much brake dust is accumulating on a black wheel.

The HPS do make noise though, they slightly squeal when coming to a full stop. As of right now I don't mind it, I only heard it this morning because I was driving with the windows down and they only do is sporadically.

I've run HPS on various cars including my old GMT-800. They will dust a lot more than OE pads and not last as long, but will stop much better. Those of you worried about dust that much need to get some gold jewelry, zaino and head to Corvette forum.

I'm debating getting a set for the K2 myself. I was hoping Hawk would release the new 5.0 street pad for the K2 trucks-it's an update to the HPS and I have a set on my wife's Honda.

I'll keep you posted for sure. I'll be getting rid of my 20" alloys by the end of next week when the new wheels come in, so its gonna be hard to really see how much brake dust is accumulating on a black wheel.

The HPS do make noise though, they slightly squeal when coming to a full stop. As of right now I don't mind it, I only heard it this morning because I was driving with the windows down and they only do is sporadically.

Try some anti-squeal spray adhesive on the pad backing plates. I've never had any HPS pads squeal, but maybe I'm lucky. HP+ were a different story.

I've run HPS on various cars including my old GMT-800. They will dust a lot more than OE pads and not last as long, but will stop much better. Those of you worried about dust that much need to get some gold jewelry, zaino and head to Corvette forum.

I'm debating getting a set for the K2 myself. I was hoping Hawk would release the new 5.0 street pad for the K2 trucks-it's an update to the HPS and I have a set on my wife's Honda.

Try some anti-squeal spray adhesive on the pad backing plates. I've never had any HPS pads squeal, but maybe I'm lucky. HP+ were a different story.

Lol, they are definitely a huge improvement over the OE pads. And when I have some time next weekend I'll make sure the backing plates were properly lubbed. And I'm on the same boat as you, the other set of HPS pads I ran never squealed, the HP+ pads however were something else. It was hard daily driving on those.

Archived