LED Headlight Mod Sierra 1500

+1 on the xenon depot led headlights. I called to talk to them about the bulb orientation and they asked me if I had the CANbus upgrade. When I confirmed that I did not see that option on the website they sent them to me for free. I have had the bulbs only installed for a week and they are much better than stock. No issues yet. I guess I'll add the CANbus upgrade when they come in just to be safe.

I just upgraded the fogs to the rigid SAE fogs and they are awesome. The two kits together really light things up and the temps match.

DawgFish1

When you say "temps" match I'm assuming you mean the color match from both sets? Also, how much modification did you have to make to your headlight unit, or did you just add bulbs? And you did say the light output was much brother than stock? I read and was told about the Canbus lights. Some say they're great bc they have internal resistors.. Right now I'd just like to upgrade bulbs until I can do a complete headlight retrofit.. Could I just do "Canbus" bulbs without any additional wire splicing? Thanks

Sent from my SG Note 4 on Tapatalk

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DawgFish1

When you say "temps" match I'm assuming you mean the color match from both sets? Also, how much modification did you have to make to your headlight unit, or did you just add bulbs? And you did say the light output was much brother than stock? I read and was told about the Canbus lights. Some say they're great bc they have internal resistors.. Right now I'd just like to upgrade bulbs until I can do a complete headlight retrofit.. Could I just do "Canbus" bulbs without any additional wire splicing? Thanks

Sorry,

15 Sierra Denali 5.3L 4x4

DawgFish1

Yes, the color of the XenonDepot LED's and the Rigid SAE fog lights are a match.

There is no mods needed for the XenonDepot LED bulbs. Everything is plug and play and no wire splicing. I like the color and output is better. You will need to make sure that the LED's are installed in the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock position or the pattern will be incorrect. The CANbus is not built into these bulbs. It is an additional plug and play patch that is added. They now have the option to add them on their website for $16.99 I think.

To be clear - the Xenon Depot part number for the LED upgrade to the headlights is 9012 ...

What is the part number for the matching fog lights?

Am sure others will appreciate having the exact part numbers to ease the ordering process!

Lastly - what are the advantage of going with LED over the HID?

Thanks!

Let us know if the CAN bus upgrade changes or improves anything.

10-4...It will be a week or so before they come in. Note, I did not have an issue with flickering or the lights going out in which the CANbus is supposed to fix, but I am going to install them anyway.

To be clear - the Xenon Depot part number for the LED upgrade to the headlights is 9012 ...

What is the part number for the matching fog lights?

Am sure others will appreciate having the exact part numbers to ease the ordering process!

Lastly - what are the advantage of going with LED over the HID?

Thanks!

Yes, the bulb number for a 2014 GMC Sierra is 9012. I would encourage anyone interested to visit the XenonDepot website and input their exact vehicle in order to secure the correct bulbs.

I did not order the fog light bulbs from XenonDepot. I replaced my OEM fog lights with SAE Rigid Industries fog lights. They are not plug and play and required cutting of the stock fog light locations to install.

Hopefully another member can comment on the LED vs HID question. I have never owned or installed HID.

the canbus harness is an extra $18.99, and the LED's are on sale for $119.99 right now. Not sure what everyone else paid for but that looks like $80 less than normal.

Might have to consider these...

If your looking for a pug and play replacement bulb. I went with these....

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00O8ZNJ2Y/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_Pgcawb8YKTD2M

They work well and are a cheaper alternative to some that other guys are running. They are 6000k (same as the 9012 LED headlight kit)

That's for replacing the driving lights.

Just double checking from those that have already "been there".

Am getting ready to pull the trigger on the following and want them to match up in terms of color etc.

9012 Xenon Direct LED headlight upgrade

5202 Xenon Direct LED foglight upgrade - 5,000 Lumens to match headlights (read not to with the 6,000)

Is this correct? Or do the 5202 - 5,000 lumen bulbs match the 9012 Xenon Direct HID kit?

Torn to go all LED as it would make sense they will all match the best or do I go with HID headlights and LED fog lights?

Confused ...

Anyone else, correct me if I'm wrong..

The 9012 Xenon LED headlight are 6000k you would want to get 6000k led fogs to match. If your truck has the LED DTR lights, they run at 5000k. So if you buy the xenon 9012 and LED fogs, they will be a little more blue. But I don't notice a big difference.

Also. As for my previously posted link for the Amazon fogs. I did a shootouts between them and the stock bulbs tonight. They are no better than stock bulbs... But no worse. Only benefit in the 6000k nice white look to match the LED headlights.

Anyone else, correct me if I'm wrong..

The 9012 Xenon LED headlight are 6000k you would want to get 6000k led fogs to match. If your truck has the LED DTR lights, they run at 5000k. So if you buy the xenon 9012 and LED fogs, they will be a little more blue. But I don't notice a big difference.

Also. As for my previously posted link for the Amazon fogs. I did a shootouts between them and the stock bulbs tonight. They are no better than stock bulbs... But no worse. Only benefit in the 6000k nice white look to match the LED headlights.

So could you please summarize for us less experienced truck enthusiasts? Thanks Sir

Just make sure the kelvins match up and the colour should match up.

So 9012 LED headlight kit from Xenon (6000k)

Match the LED fog kit for (6000k)

Or if buying replacement bulbs match (6000k)

You can always Google Kelvin scale and read up on it a little more.

Archived