Terrible communication from Blackbear Performance

LTZ07

So I recently contacted BBP to get a quote on a set of ARH Headers, and an Autocal. I was expecting a quick reply or phone call to discuss pricing and placing an order. After the first two days I started getting quotes else where, took me 20 mins to find a vendor that had a great price.

Finally 5 days later they responded, but only told me how much they could do for a discount (other vendor beat them 150 bucks), but no info on how to make a payment with the discounted price. Ok, I still wanted to order from BBP because they have done me right before. I replied on how to order.

Three more days go by before I get a reply. They again did not give me a way to order, just told me how their website is getting revamped. I replied again, but somehow the email got sent to my email address.

So I have allready ordered the headers, this is another week later, way better price anyways. I PMd Jenna today to tell her the problems I was having, and I ordered the headers from another vendor because I had no info on how to send a payment, just to bring the communication issue to light and to get info on the autocal, and order one. She immediately responded and said she would get it straitened out.

I recieved an email from a gentleman named Jarrad, they instantly sent me a paypal invoice for $2100+. So after I told Jenna I didnt need the headers and inquiring more about the tune I get this. Now im just getting pissed off with all the mixed up info.

I proceed to inform them of their terrible communication practices, and in the most polite way possible they blame me for sending one email to myself being the root of the whole miss communication, after they didnt respond initally for FIVE DAYS, then THREE DAYS the next failed email. I repeatedly asked them to call me and left my number on plenty emails, they would not and told me why they wouldnt, most terrible excuse I have ever heard "What you see as a 5 minute phone call, we see as 150 5-15 minute phone calls each and everyday. What we offer to one, we have to offer to the other 149" WOW so I guess they rather reply to endless emails or they have been burned before and keep a paper trail to save their asses. Pm me if you want see the email.

I have never written a bad review on anyone, and I never thought my first one would be on BBP. They tuned my last truck and it was seemless, but this is ridiculous. Moral of the story, if you want fast service by BBP, be prepared to wait and then have them blame you if anything goes wrong. Have any of you guys had problems communicating with BBP via emails? I just want them to realize that they are losing business with the whole email deal. I just wanted a few questions answered and then throw money at the situation. After all this, I'll be steering clear.

I have never had any issues with them. It may take a few days for them to get back with me, but I know they are a mom and pop business with very few employees besides Justin and Jenna so I guess I have never been in a hurry for response.

I have ordered a bunch from them too.

Tune

Autocal

AMP steps

Thorley Headers

Bedrug

Corsa exhaust

Magnacharger

• Like 1

I've bought plenty of product from them with no problems like you describe. And yes I understand their phone call policy and why they do what they do.....

Sorry, Charlie

sorry_charlie__by_isabellaprice-d6q5iy8.

Edited by txab

My buddy recently started dealing with them as the truck he bought was tuned by them. He wants more work done and of course is willing to pay for it.... He's lucky to get a one or two word answer in a weeks time frame.... usually longer. I am sure he will go elsewhere based on that...

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Edited by 1994Vmax

Charlie,
As stated in emails, we are happy to post up all communication with you. After PMing me today, asking why you had not heard back from the guys, you admitted that you had accidentally emailed yourself; the guys obviously never got those emails. For the guys to actually respond, they have to receive emails. So as far as you waiting the initial FIVE days, that was over Labor Day weekend. Not sure where the additional three days come into play.
As you already mentioned, you have every right to go with another company, and with that, you are wished the best of luck.
Here is the email chain between you and the guys, hopefully this clears up the misunderstanding:
On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 8:59 AM, HOTMAIL USER wrote:
HOTMAIL ACCOUNT -- Check Email Address before Sending
Black Bear Performance Contact Form Submission
----------------------------------------------
SUBMITTED: 9/3/2015 11:59:35 AM
EMAIL: xxxx
PHONE: xxxx
PREFERRED CONTACT: email
VEHICLE: 2014 Sierra Denali CC short bed 5.3 6 speed 2wd 3.42s
MODIFICATIONS: Corsa sport 3.0 catback, and a K&N drop in filter only.
QUESTION/COMMENT:
Hey Jenna,
I would like to get a quote on some ARH 1 3/4 headers with a Catted Y. Im also looking for some advice. Im torn between the 1 3/4 and the 1 7/8. Im looking at a whipple right now and cant find any solid numbers once supercharged. I can only find the numbers on NA applications. I know the 1 3/4 will keep the torque down low but, if I plan on forced induction would it be wise to jump up to 1 7/8? Also do you guys offer any discounts to active military?
Charlie D
------------------
Sent: Tuesday, September 8, 2015 12:29:30 PM
To: xxxx
Subject: Re: Performance Parts Sales - Charlie D
Hi Charlie,
Thank you for contacting us about those headers. My suggestion would be the 1-3/4" set with your future modifications in mind. The 1-7/8" WILL have more power potential at high RPM in boost, however you'll be sacrificing a bit of part throttle response/efficiency as well as low to mid-rpm operation. In a race application, I wouldn't hesitate to suggest the 1-7/8" or even larger, but for something that is to be daily driven, you'll be happier with the 1-3/4".
We offer a military discount on our AutoCal tuning service ($49 off) and if you were to buy the headers from us with the AutoCal, we could extend the discount a bit more ($99 off).
Please let us know if you have any other questions.
Justin
------------------
On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 1:43 PM, Charlie D wrote:
Thanks for the reply, pretty much sold me on the 1 3/4. Thanks
I could not find the headers on your website though, maybe because im on a tablet. What's the price on them?? The autocal is 599 if im not mistaken. Is your website the best way to order or can I give you a call. Im on GMFS, GM-trucks, and I got my last truck live tuned by you guys if that offers any other discounts.
Let me know thanks
Charlie D
------------------
On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 8:17 PM, Black Bear Performance <[email protected]> wrote:
Hello Charlie,
I don't know that we've added the 2014-2015 models yet, as we are working on a total revamp of our shopping cart layout. Retail price is $1664 for that header set. With the purchase of the AutoCal, which is normally $599, we can knock $99 off the total for both.
Please let us know if you have any other questions.
Thanks,
Jarrad
------------------
Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2015 12:51:44 PM
To: Charlie D
Resending. Please let us know if you receive.
Jenna
------------------
On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 9:57 AM, Charlie D wrote:
Yes, I have previously recieved this email. HOW DO I ORDER THEM, I cant select them on the website, and how do I apply the discounts??
------------------
Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2015 1:10:03 PM
Hello Charlie,
I created a PayPal invoice which has just been sent to your email for the headers and AutoCal with the prices we quoted on the 11th along with the $99 discount.
Thanks,
Jarrad
------------------
On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 10:33 AM, Charlie D wrote:
Ok, I still don't know how the tune will work initially, I havent given any inputs on what I want done or mods on my truck. Im not gonna just fork over $600 knowing nothing but the general information on your site. Im trying to plan a header install with the least downtime as possible, and this email back and forth is not making planning any better. I have stated that I went to another vendor to purchace the headers, because of lack of information in emails. I don't need them.
This transaction/communication, is not easing my mind on how my tune will turn out the exact way I want it. So I think I will take my business somewhere else for now untill I can talk to someone personally. Alot gets lost in translation over emails, should consider a technical support number..
Charlie
------------------
Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2015 1:42:39 PM
Hello Charlie,
In our communication, you have never asked anything more regarding the AutoCal. We would have been more than happy to answer any questions you had.
In your email from 43 minutes ago, you made no mention of having purchased the headers already. You asked how to order them with the discount. Also, you stated you received the email with the quotes we provided 6 days ago but never responded back to us. We had no way of knowing you were trying to order them on our website. There is no automatic discount for that, as it was being offered one-off for you.
We are a small company of only two full time employees. We receive 150+ emails a day that need to be responded to along with our tuning schedule. Only the tuner can answer technical questions which makes having a phone line at this time impossible because it would monopolize his time and no tunes would be completed.
Thank you,
Jarrad
------------------
On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 1:12 PM, Charlie D wrote:
Jarrod,
Ok I have it figured out. I responded to your email from 6days ago when you quoted me for the headers, but for some reason it sent it to myself, my fault. I inquired about how the tuning was done initially. Do I just send you the make/model, engine displacement, and current mods, you guys send an inital tune, I tune the truck with the recieved tune, then I data log, send it back to you guys, and yall fine tune it from there? That is my understanding.
Secondly, I sent Jenna a PM on GM-Trucks on the miscommunication Ive been having and it drove me to order headers from another vendor. The communication I have with you guys is spread over PMs and emails, from 3 different people. Another mix up. So yes I did let you guys know that I had the headers covered. Maybe not down an avenue that you have seen but I did let you guys know. Instead I get an email saying I didnt let anyone know I didnt need the headers. This has got so lost in translation that I'm looking to bring my business somewhere else. A 5 min phone call could have cleared all this up and secured a 2k+ order. Instead our lines are still crossed in what I want. So your comment on having a contact number is impossible because a tuner has to answer tech questions is invalid, when I'm talking to you now. I was not talking about in depth engine parameter questions, I'm talking about customer service. 5 min phone call<2 weeks of emails and missed order oppurtunity, I see your point. (Sarcasm) Ridiculous. I can't express how displeased I am with blackbear performance right now.
So as of now I would like a run down of how the tune works off the start once I order, when I get to input what I want to get done, when do I let you guys know what I have done to the truck, what programs do I need to download, and anything else I'm missing ect,ect. Then I will think about ordering from you guys if you make this right.
-Charlie
------------------
Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2015 4:37:44 PM
Hi Charlie,
I do not believe that there is anything for us to make right. We responded to emails promptly and had you not had an issue responding to our email, everything would have been sorted out a week ago or more. The fact that you PM'd seems to be a non-factor as well, as that didn't come in until today, correct? Not sure how we could have handled this any better or why you are deeming us in the wrong.
What you see as a 5 minute phone call, we see as 150 5-15 minute phone calls each and every day. What we offer to one, we have to offer to all or else it's not fair to the other 149 people that have been waiting for a response.
All of our AutoCal tuning is custom made by email based on data logged information and customer provided tune files. There are no pre-installed or "generic" starter tunes provided unless modifications absolutely necessitate it for safe engine operation.
Thanks,
Jarrad
------------------
On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 2:33 PM, Charlie D wrote:
Hello again jarrod,
My problem lies with the fact that the emails sent by you guys didnt answer all of my questions and were very short sided. I.e myself asking how much the headers were, wait 2 days for a response, how do I order, wait a day for a response, question about the tuner, day for a response, all while I just want a few questions answered, then spend some money. I will have to send an email anytime I have a small question, to which I will recieve a small email with my question not fully answered. I still don't see how your justifing email as the fastest form of communication, just today I have spent hours typing on my phone to get a point across, when it should have been a qiuck phone call. Idk maybe you type fater than you talk, not me. If you think this is the best way to reach your customers, your high. You have a business, I don't care how may people you have to talk to in a day, and the next guy doesnt either. If you are growing, expand, simple. I have repetedly asked you guys to call me so we could sort it out. Still no response by phone. So if I have a question about the tune on my truck, I have to email you and wait for a response while I can't drive in fear of hurting my truck. Not happening. I cant wait around for an email. You dont have to make it right with me, all I wanted was a phone call. Just know you guys are not getting my business, and you will be bashed online.
Oh my PMs are a non factor, I did send a PM today to Jenna stating that I had ordered the headers and didnt need them, and then I got an invoice for autocal and headers 2100+$. How did that happen......Good job guys!
Pissed off customer
------------------
On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 8:36 PM, Black Bear Performance <[email protected]> wrote:
Charlie,
I am a bit taken a back by your posture in your email responses to the guys. You PMd me this morning, and you made it seem like you had sent in multiple emails, never receiving a response. I simply asked the guys if they had any correspondence with you, to check on email status. You admitted in the response email, that you made a mistake, and never wrote to them, only had written to yourself. In going through your emails, you never told them that you purchased the headers, nor had you told them that you had further questions on the AutoCal. The guys were more than willing to help you out, however, the ground work was never laid out by you as to what was needed. You simply asked for pricing initially, and the guys gave that to you. You never stated that you were interested in purchasing, which is why an invoice was never drafted up for you. In order to receive a military discount (if you are indeed a service member), you would still have to go through a verification process.
I am sure your XO would not be impressed with how you have handled yourself in this matter. You are not a current customer (you have not paid for anything), nor do you have any right to go online and bash anyone (please do look up the term libel, if you do decide to take that route. We now have written proof that libel would be your intention- part of the positives in having email responses rather than hearsay via phone). If you do decide to take this online, rest assured that things will remain professional on our end, and all details will be revealed.
Hopefully this clears everything up, best of luck.
Jenna

My buddy recently started dealing with them as the truck he bought was tuned by them. He wants more work done and of course is willing to pay for it.... He's lucky to get a one or two word answer in a weeks time frame.... usually longer. I am sure he will go elsewhere based on that...

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Feel free to send me their email, I am happy to look into this. Rarely should anyone be waiting a week, unless they have been sending multiple emails.

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

I don't see the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know this is a few months old but wow, this gives me flashbacks of answering emails/messages when I had an eBay business. I actually made pretty good extra income from selling automotive bulbs (my buddy owns the company, I just sold them on eBay) but after years of dealing with customers like the OP I just quit. This thread is absolutely ridiculous.

sent via tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I have dealt with BBP for a few years now, and have only purchased an AutoCal/Tune.

I have always had a positive experience with them.

Yes, it "may" take a week for a response, but I plan for that as I don't feel:

1. That the customer is always right
  2. The world revolves around me
  3. The vendor needs to contact me ASAP
  4. The vendor has to have all the answers
  5. Customers like the OP is worth having

I know they are a small business, so I plan all my communications around that.

I would rather have communication via an email than over a phone call, as it goes, if it's not documented, it didn't happen!

I also feel the Micro Wave oven was the beginning of people being impatient and wanting everything NOW!

Live before the Micro Wave oven was much simpler and people were not in a rush for everything they wanted.

I am currently on the list of things to do with BBP, because I emailed them about a week ago informing them I was going to purchase an E85 sensor for my truck and would need a tune...in fact Jarrod suggested putting me on the list, and Justin directed me where to get the sensor.

Gottah Love BBP!

Edited by RDKILL
  • Like 1