Civilianizing the '15 Tahoe PPV.

RC45: I have a 2015 Silverado WT that I would like to put a leather steering wheel into.

The WT came with no DIC controls or radio controls, just cruise only.

Can I buy a leather steering wheel, and then remove the DIC control pad off? Does that filler plate unscrew or snap off my original steering wheel if I want to transplant it? Lastly, if I remove the radio controls (behind the steering wheel), will there be any holes or anything odd exposed? I was just hoping if I had my original wheel and a leather one next to it that I could transplant parts back and forth to make my own OEM styled leather wheel with just cruise controls. I don't want to make it look butchered or non-oem. What are your thoughts? I love what you did with the Tahoe.

I gotta say, one of the coolest truck builds I've ever seen. I love my Silverado but, I think I'd take this any day, only caveat is I'd need 4x4 since I'm up where the snow flies in the winter.

Edited by Imcrazy

The trailer brake controller from the factory will not work if it was not standard equipment on the Tahoe. I wish it would but it will be purely cosmetic for you. It plugs in but there are several more parts to that item missing and requires BCM programming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC45: I have a 2015 Silverado WT that I would like to put a leather steering wheel into.

The WT came with no DIC controls or radio controls, just cruise only.

Can I buy a leather steering wheel, and then remove the DIC control pad off? Does that filler plate unscrew or snap off my original steering wheel if I want to transplant it? Lastly, if I remove the radio controls (behind the steering wheel), will there be any holes or anything odd exposed? I was just hoping if I had my original wheel and a leather one next to it that I could transplant parts back and forth to make my own OEM styled leather wheel with just cruise controls. I don't want to make it look butchered or non-oem. What are your thoughts? I love what you did with the Tahoe.

PM sent. Other than the radio controls on the back of the wheel, the process is pretty much a simple parts swap the way you imagine it would be.

Nice build! Following for additional updates.

To date only the Volant Cold Air is on, enjoying some trouble free GM warranteed miles before we abuse the truck with the blower install.

I gotta say, one of the coolest truck builds I've ever seen. I love my Silverado but, I think I'd take this any day, only caveat is I'd need 4x4 since I'm up where the snow flies in the winter.

Well, the PPV is also available in a high speed pursuit rated 4x4 version, but finding a low mileage almost new one may prove to be the trickiest bit of the build :)

The trailer brake controller from the factory will not work if it was not standard equipment on the Tahoe. I wish it would but it will be purely cosmetic for you. It plugs in but there are several more parts to that item missing and requires BCM programming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, this turned out to be frustratingly true. I even tried to get a breakdown of all missing components but to date have not got it. A friend has suggested we try wire these controls up to a commercially available trailer brake control system, but I just ended up swapping the standard trim piece back in.

• 1 month later...

You could also ask GTPrix if he can program the BCM for the trailer brake controller (if there is no other intermediate wiring/devices missing).

Please tell me more.

What other than programming is missing? I got word directly from GM that it is not possible to retro fit the trailer brake controller, if this is nto the case then I am game for trying to get the controller functioning.

I don't know the specifics of what may or may not be missing as far as hardware, however there is talk that GTPprix is able to program BCM's for the newer vehicles.

Maybe pm him?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by MWZotti

• 5 weeks later...

A 6 month follow-up.

I. LOVE. THIS . TRUCK.

I like how stable and sure footed it is. No wallowing, it stops hard and it is a hoot on the freeway. The ride is harsher than an LS, LT or LTZ but I enjoy my Corvette as well so a stiffer ride does not bother me. The Katzkinz seats are comfortable and have been easy to keep clean. The fitted GM carpet has not moved or shifted or had any issues.

Did I mention the brakes? Yes I did, but they are worth mentioning again. They handle multiple hard stops without fade and the "City Circuit" PPV brake pads get up to temp and bite instantly. We haven't missed the 3rd row seat - the larger flat luggage space is much more practical.

The PPV steering tune is also more positive and responds better to inputs than the LT Tahoe I test drove.

We finally went and did some performance testing out in the boonies - sadly we did not do the same thing before the mods, so no comparison numbers, but in its current form, for a 5300# 4 door 6 passenger SUV I think this truck hauls ass :)

I am glad I was able to buy this PPV, and would recommend anyone else who has the chance to buy a low mileage supervisor lease return or demo unit to jump at the chance :chevy::cheers:

Mods are Volant cold air, Corsa touring cat back and a tank full of e85 and stock 3.08 rear gear. The runs where made in Competitive Mode i.e. Active Handling On, Traction Control Off.

Conditions: Overcast 98% humidity & 78*F

Best Result

6.8s 0-60

15s 1/4 mile @ 94mph - on a farm road :)

The Numbers

WAKlsg.jpg

The Track

And those are our tire marks :)

43fRRO.jpg

The worst result

7.1s 0-60

10.10s 1/8 mile @ 73.8mph

But you can see it is pretty consistent - these 2 1/8 mile runs are 2 of 6 that where 7.1s dead even.

9SRH9S.jpg

LePdMa.jpg

Edited by RC45

• 1 month later...

Question on the Katzkins. Did they get any "tighter" than when you first installed them? I am looking considering some but they seem a little loose. No offense meant.

• 1 month later...

Question on the Katzkins. Did they get any "tighter" than when you first installed them? I am looking considering some but they seem a little loose. No offense meant.

Yeah, the leather lays flat. The leather had that loose look before - perhaps simply due to being stored in a box.

I will be replacing the drivers seat foam as it has begun to collapse under my fat arse. I would have thought the foam would hold up better over just 28000 miles, but I guess the more sit the more they flatten.

Made the last few cosmetic changes.

LTZ rear bumper step cover.

Chrome LTZ fog light eye brows and fog lights.

Black anti-deer-at-night bars.

LTZ front bumper valance.

I think the truck now looks the part. Semi-blacked out with a touch of dazzle :)

fSsr7C.jpg
KOutJN.jpg

Edited by RC45

• 2 months later...

I recently purchased a new 2016 Black 4x4 PPV. I couldn't be happier. The upgrades make the civilian model not even a consideration. Not to mention I saved an absolute fortune. You can also buy a Silverado 2wd or 4wd. Impala. Huge huge discounts. They don't have to be sold directly to a department. If you have LE credentials you are good to go on personal purchase.EMT or fireman good as well.

As you can see mine is well equipped. No leather or carpet, no fancy head unit or gps.

New $40,100

Only changes will be exhaust, cold air intake and stereo. Awesome handling truck. Love it!

I love how it has no Chevy or Tahoe badges on it. Just the bow tie on front end.

I tried to add spec sheet and image. If you want to see it or need it formation on how and where to buy shoot me a pm. No, I'm not a salesman, I'm a police officer.

I tried to buy one here in Alabama and was to,do "you can't buy that. Your dept has to buy it" so I said ok and bought out of state.

I'm surprised a dealership with the name Hendricks has a sales staff so inept..

This truck is a winner.

• 1 year later...