In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Chads09Sierra

Passegner Rear Leaf Spring Broke in Half

Hey guys, was on my way to work today and I heard something fall off my truck while driving down the highway. Got to work and looked it over and saw my passenger rear leaf sping (middle leaf) broke it half right next to the block. A little bit of research shows me this is a common problem with these trucks. My truck is a 2009 gmc 1500 and has 75,000 miles on it and is out of warranty. So my question is, do you guys have any recommendations on a replacement leaf, like aftermarket or do you just replace with a new gm pack?

thanks for your help

Chad

Edit, Was wondering is it safe to drive with a broke/missing leaf til I can get a new spring pack?

Edited by Chads09Sierra

I wouldn't be too sure of the safety. That assembly is holding the axle in place, I'd prob not drive until fixed.

I definitely wouldn't drive the truck until you get it repaired. With a broken leaf you are asking for problems if the rest of the pack falls apart.

2500 hd springs are a good upgrade for the 1500 trucks. Contact your local truck/ spring shop.