Throttle response? Sierra with 5.3L

Wittyy

Ok so I am not exactly sure how to explain this but it feels like my truck lags after hitting the accelerator... This sometimes causes harder downshifts due to the fact that I press harder on the pedal waiting for the truck to react.... I suppose this is linked to the electronics that cause the truck to accelerate as opposed to an old school linkage rod, but I gotta say my 09 Sierra is not nearly as bad as this. Is there any computer updates to address this?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sadly, no. The throttle response on these new engines is by far the worst of any GM vehicle EVER. I even got "out rev'ed" by a four cylinder Buick the other day. Good news is there is nothing wrong with your truck other than the factory tune. That is why I am going to get a Blackbear tune in a couple weeks. Word is B.B can perform miracles on these trucks.

Yep, that's normal. Factory tune for fuel mileage.

I put in a Diablo tune and it's like a whole new truck!

If you noticed a difference after installing a generic, one size fits all cookie cutter tune, a good BBP custom tune would really impress you. Much better than anything Diablo has to offer.

Sent from my crappy iPhone 6

using Tapatalk

If you noticed a difference after installing a generic, one size fits all cookie cutter tune, a good BBP custom tune would really impress you. Much better than anything Diablo has to offer.

Sent from my crappy iPhone 6

using Tapatalk

Diablew offers custom tunes as well for the Diablo tuner. I have heard that BB tunes are very good, but not sure about the price difference is worth it though.

That being said, I will be doing some long range towing next summer and a custom tune that creates more torque might just be the way to go.

The Driver Demand table in the factory tune takes a throttle input and sends a torque request to the throttle body. The torque request vs pedal position relationship is very numb in factory form, a tune can make it feel much more like a cable actuated throttle.

The throttle response was a big turnoff on the GM truck when I was truck shopping last year. After 1 year and 8k miles I have noticed my throttle response has improved somewhat so I guess the computer has done some sort of "learning".

I had it done, too. And not to get anyone's hopes up, but it drives like a different truck now. And before anyone starts, I noticed the change in the way it drove before I even knew they performed the update. Shifts were much more immediate. No more flaring, either. Power always seems just under foot, right at tip-in.

It wasn't until I got home and was filing the service receipt that I noticed the transmission software update had been performed. They said nothing about it at the dealership. I'll post the service order later.

I have no idea what the "improved driveability" part of the fix was, but I literally thought I was driving a different truck. Throttle response is now instant. On the highway, hitting the gas causes an immediate downshift and hard acceleration. NOTHING like before.

I thought it was the gas. I ran the tank dry and put in regular 87. No difference. It runs better now than it did before on premium. Not once in 4 days has it felt like it was "hunting" for the right gear.

I HONESTLY don't think it's in my head. I had a 2014 SLE crew Z71 with a 5.3, and now I have a 2015 SLT crew z71 w/5.3 . Neither truck ever ran this way. I experienced all the problems everyone else has reported. And I just turned in a service loaner 2015 Silverado crew 2WD w/5.3, and the difference was night and day.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this? I had the service performed last Friday the 25th. I'll post the TSB number later when I get home.

I had it done, too. And not to get anyone's hopes up, but it drives like a different truck now. And before anyone starts, I noticed the change in the way it drove before I even knew they performed the update. Shifts were much more immediate. No more flaring, either. Power always seems just under foot, right at tip-in.

It wasn't until I got home and was filing the service receipt that I noticed the transmission software update had been performed. They said nothing about it at the dealership. I'll post the service order later.

I have no idea what the "improved driveability" part of the fix was, but I literally thought I was driving a different truck. Throttle response is now instant. On the highway, hitting the gas causes an immediate downshift and hard acceleration. NOTHING like before.

I thought it was the gas. I ran the tank dry and put in regular 87. No difference. It runs better now than it did before on premium. Not once in 4 days has it felt like it was "hunting" for the right gear.

I HONESTLY don't think it's in my head. I had a 2014 SLE crew Z71 with a 5.3, and now I have a 2015 SLT crew z71 w/5.3 . Neither truck ever ran this way. I experienced all the problems everyone else has reported. And I just turned in a service loaner 2015 Silverado crew 2WD w/5.3, and the difference was night and day.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this? I had the service performed last Friday the 25th. I'll post the TSB number later when I get home.

please post if you don't mind...

i am also curious about getting a tune, even if it is aftermarket...

i am tired of mashing the pedal and it not picking up speed at a resonable rate...then you mash a little harder and it's balls to the wall...downshifts and take off

try a sprint booster 5 minute install, plug and play 3 settings, you will say to yourself why did i wait so long, does not void warranty (it really works) $300.i almost forgot use e85 its worth it

Archived