0w-20 v. 5w-20 in 2015 5.3

The owners manual says ( 2015 5.3) use 0W-20 and does not give any other option. My dealer says use 5W-20! The parts guy said "that 0W-20 is too thin"! I know everyone is going to the 0W-20 for fuel mileage, but usually owner's manuals will give you an option of at least 2 different weights depending on temps and severe use v. normal use. I'm inclined to stick with what GM recommends, but I did go with the 10W-30 back in 2000 on my 4.3 (same dealer/same reason for going to the 10W) when it recommended 5W-30, and 150,000 miles later all is still good. What is the consensus out there? Most everything I've found when searching relates back to 2013.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Run what it calls for. GM has no alternative weights listed for the Gen V 5.3 and 6.2 engines. Go by GM and the owners manual and if the dealer insists on running the wrong weight in you r engine, then change it yourself.

The 4.3 (the new one Gen V based) and the Gen 4 6.0 L96 are the only two gas engines that can run a slightly different weight (0w30 instead of 5w30 for real cold weather).

They went to a light weight oil but also a synthetic blend.

So in the end it will most likely not cause any real issues other then costing more.

Thinner oil reduces friction thus help with fuel millage which is why they most likely did it. Even though it only a small amount of savings.

If you are worried just switch to full synthetic.

I've planned on using 0W-20 in a top grade, full synthetic all along. Unless I turned up some info that convinced me otherwise. My search of the internet as it relates to the 5W-20 in the 2015 models turned up mostly info on the 2013 models.....thus my post here just to see if there was anything more current.

I've planned on using 0W-20 in a top grade, full synthetic all along. Unless I turned up some info that convinced me otherwise. My search of the internet as it relates to the 5W-20 in the 2015 models turned up mostly info on the 2013 models.....thus my post here just to see if there was anything more current.

I have been using both Mobil 1 0W-20 Extended Performance and Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy. The only reason I tried the EP version is because it was on sale for the same price as the AFE version. They are very similar oils. I was able to dig up that the EP version has about a 60-70% PAO (Group 4) base stock while the AFE is about 30-40% PAO. The remaining base stock is presumably Group 3 for both.

I have run a UOA for every oil change on my Sierra except the first one (kind of a hobby at this point). I have posted my latest results below. Everything is looking good and the wear metals are settting down. I'm on my last fill of M1 EP 0W-20 and then I will go back to the AFE as I don't see any major differance between the two in the UOA. If I was going for longer change intervals I may go with the EP (normally only maybe $3 more per 5 qt jug) but I'm happy with 7500 mile changes.

UOA_9-9-15_zpsnsnbxlbk.jpg

The owners manual says ( 2015 5.3) use 0W-20 and does not give any other option. My dealer says use 5W-20! The parts guy said "that 0W-20 is too thin"! I know everyone is going to the 0W-20 for fuel mileage, but usually owner's manuals will give you an option of at least 2 different weights depending on temps and severe use v. normal use. I'm inclined to stick with what GM recommends, but I did go with the 10W-30 back in 2000 on my 4.3 (same dealer/same reason for going to the 10W) when it recommended 5W-30, and 150,000 miles later all is still good. What is the consensus out there? Most everything I've found when searching relates back to 2013.

I don't know the answer, just have another question ... my 15 Corvette which has the same basic 6.2, is GM specified to use 5w-30 and I just wonder why the difference?

I don't know the answer, just have another question ... my 15 Corvette which has the same basic 6.2, is GM specified to use 5w-30 and I just wonder why the difference?

I run the 5W-30 in mine too. I do know some folks that run 10W-30. You won't find any immediate problems from doing so. I'd say the problems, if any, will be down the road a few miles.

Z51 has dry sump I believe and is most likely reason behind the different weight. I use whatever the manual tells me. I didn't engineer anything. However I do find a little more peace to my soul with using Mobil 1 and changing at 7500 intervals. :)

I plan on doing my normal 15000 mile intervals with this '15 6.2 truck and it's either getting 5W20 or 5W30. GM specifies those ultra thin oils to scrape every last ounce of fuel economy they can get. Basically it's telling you that 0W20 is the minimal viscosity oil they can run and still adequately protect the engine throughout it's operating temperatures. Everyone is doing this..... not just GM.

For those that run in waving the "these new engines are ultra tight tolerance and can't handle it" sorry..... no they are not. These new direct injected ones have nothing new that uses the oil either...... LS's have had AFM and VCT since 2007 and they ran fine with 5W30..... these will too. If 0W20 was readily available easy to find oil, fine... whatever. But since I get 5W30 cheap and I use it across the board this truck will be no different.

I have been using both Mobil 1 0W-20 Extended Performance and Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy. The only reason I tried the EP version is because it was on sale for the same price as the AFE version. They are very similar oils. I was able to dig up that the EP version has about a 60-70% PAO (Group 4) base stock while the AFE is about 30-40% PAO. The remaining base stock is presumably Group 3 for both.

I have run a UOA for every oil change on my Sierra except the first one (kind of a hobby at this point). I have posted my latest results below. Everything is looking good and the wear metals are settting down. I'm on my last fill of M1 EP 0W-20 and then I will go back to the AFE as I don't see any major differance between the two in the UOA. If I was going for longer change intervals I may go with the EP (normally only maybe $3 more per 5 qt jug) but I'm happy with 7500 mile changes.

UOA_9-9-15_zpsnsnbxlbk.jpg

Looking at this report. It would be interesting to see how well AC/Delco 0w-20 would do now since you have a few miles on the engine. Seems to me for the cost difference, you are not getting any better wear results.

Funny how some view oil, a 0w-20 oil is the same weight as a 5w-20 oil as measured at 100°C. The only difference is the 0w-20 will flow a little faster at cold startup, which in turn will give just a slight protection advantage over the 5w.

Looking at this report. It would be interesting to see how well AC/Delco 0w-20 would do now since you have a few miles on the engine. Seems to me for the cost difference, you are not getting any better wear results.

That would be an interesting test. The only issue is that for the most part, M1 0W-20 is still less expensive then the ACDelco 0W-20. I can get 5 qt jugs of M1 at Walmart for around $25 ($5/quart). I couldn't find many retailers selling ACDelco 0W-20 online but found one selling it at $5.97/quart. For the do-it-yourselfer's, M1 is pretty reasonably priced IF you buy it at Walmart. I'm guessing the dealerships probably charge more for M1 then ACDelco if you were to get your oil changed by them.

P.S. I actually bought M1 0W-20 from Walmart for about $13 for a 5 qt jug after a $12 rebate. Walmart isn't listed on Mobil's approved retailer list but the rebates went through (and for others on the BITOG forum).

Archived