Cold Air Intake for 2015 GM 1500 6.2L

stontr01

New to forum so sorry if this topic has been discussed in detail already. Just bought a 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 with the 6.2L. I wanted to get your advice and feedback around if a cold air intake is helpful to the engine for HP / TQ./ MPG and just better engine longevity?

Any one add a CAI to a 2014-15 1500 with 6.2 if so what kind of gains / losses did you find? Pictures?

Recommendations for which brand / model to go with for the Gm 6.2?

Thank you,

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will gain HP, and increase MPG, not by much though. Dyno sheet from K&N says something like 11hp but you'd have to do back to back dynos on your truck to make sure. I personally haven't gotten a 'best 50' of over 22mpg since I removed my K&N intake, in the high 21's is my current best for the last 2 months. So I'm going to say it has a very slight increase in highway MPG based on my experiences.

It will also make your truck a lot louder.

The 5.3/6.2 air intake is interchangeable. Used the same setup from my 2014 5.3 that I put back to stock when I traded it in. I *think* the 6.2 has a bigger throttle body inlet but that's it.

It will gain HP, and increase MPG, not by much though. Dyno sheet from K&N says something like 11hp but you'd have to do back to back dynos on your truck to make sure. I personally haven't gotten a 'best 50' of over 22mpg since I removed my K&N intake, in the high 21's is my current best for the last 2 months. So I'm going to say it has a very slight increase in highway MPG based on my experiences.

It will also make your truck a lot louder.

The 5.3/6.2 air intake is interchangeable. Used the same setup from my 2014 5.3 that I put back to stock when I traded it in. I *think* the 6.2 has a bigger throttle body inlet but that's it.

Hey thanks, Did you go with the K&N 63 series, any other brands or models that compete with K&N? I've used K&N on past vehicles and I know there's many brands out there curious why you went with K&N?

I ordered a Junior for mine yesterday with the dry filter. I just don't like that ugly batwing thing attached to my throttle body lol. It takes up almost as much real estate as the clutch fan shrouds do lol.

Sent from my potato

Are you talking about this part or just the new filter? http://www.airaid.com/search/product.aspx?prod=201-111

KIT number 201-111?

thanks,

Airaid Jr or just the MIT

http://www.airaid.com/mobile/product.aspx?product=201-711

http://www.airaid.com/mobile/product.aspx?prod=200-911

$240 for a plastic pipe & crap paper filter!!? HUH??? Not even good looking.

Save your money. $240 in the piggy bank, then another $200 here and there until you have enough money for these or similar:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dtc-715-14110/overview/make/gmc/model/sierra-1500

Then save more up for a custom tune

Install LT's along w/ tune, drill some holes in the stock airbox (front not top) and port the intake/throttle body. THEN you will feel a difference and have money spent.

I'm really surprised threads like this still pop up on forums, and its no knock on the OP - the CAI does nothing without a tune, nothing that you'll notice anyhow. And the intakes on these trucks seem to flow pretty good from the factory anyhow...HEADERS are what generate more power on GM small blocks...pretty much every platform aside from the C6 Z06, Z28 camaro, C6 ZR1, and the C7 Z06 - those are the ONLY vehicles that don't require LT Headers since their stock manifolds are known to flow well and have been dyno proven.

Ok perfect, What kind of gians in HP/MPG have you seen? Does just the MIT make a big difference in engine noise?

You'll probably see around 15 hp/tq and 1-2mpg gain. The engine noise is so much better(louder) especially when you stomp on it.

$240 for a plastic pipe & crap paper filter!!? HUH??? Not even good looking.

Save your money. $240 in the piggy bank, then another $200 here and there until you have enough money for these or similar:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dtc-715-14110/overview/make/gmc/model/sierra-1500

Then save more up for a custom tune

Install LT's along w/ tune, drill some holes in the stock airbox (front not top) and port the intake/throttle body. THEN you will feel a difference and have money spent.

I'm really surprised threads like this still pop up on forums, and its no knock on the OP - the CAI does nothing without a tune, nothing that you'll notice anyhow. And the intakes on these trucks seem to flow pretty good from the factory anyhow...HEADERS are what generate more power on GM small blocks...pretty much every platform aside from the C6 Z06, Z28 camaro, C6 ZR1, and the C7 Z06 - those are the ONLY vehicles that don't require LT Headers since their stock manifolds are known to flow well and have been dyno proven.

Have you installed these? What differences have you experienced with adding headers?

I'm definitely no engine or truck expert, most comments on this forum and threads seem to be knowledgeable and detailed so i thought i would throw this thread out there and get some advice / feedback.Thanks

Have you installed these? What differences have you experienced with adding headers?

I'm definitely no engine or truck expert, most comments on this forum and threads seem to be knowledgeable and detailed so i thought i would throw this thread out there and get some advice / feedback.Thanks

Would actually recommend a tune with the airaid to see the biggest results.

Headers are also $1500 + install + tune and not all that warranty-friendly

They also don't last as long as stock exhaust manifolds, you get to chase down header leaks and melting shit in your engine compartment. Big power gains for sure but they are not for everyone.

Archived