Looking to move up to 2500... questions

Last year we bought a Sierra 1500 thinking that in the future we would get a lightweight toy hauler (dry weight is under 6000 pounds). But now looking into it, it appears that even at that dry weight, with my large family and dogs, there will be little to no payload left over if we do the TH.

So of course, now we are looking at 3/4 tons. Ugh. Why do they never mention payload relative to your towing capacity?

With that light of a trailer, would the 6.0 be enough truck to tow through the Colorado mountains? I know that the duramax is the real answer, but I just don't know that we can afford the extra $8K. But I also want enough truck for the job, something I didn't get with my last purchase.

Or should I just give up the toy hauler idea all together?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Better scrutinize the ratings of a 6.0l 2500 before you go down that path...they don't get you much more trailer than a 1500. I think mine is 9400#, 16k GVW, which isn't much better than a 1500.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

Start small, and work your way up from there. I'd get a trailer that matches your truck, and see how you like it. Who knows, after 1 trip you may never take the family on a trip ever again! Or maybe you'll love it so much you find a 12,000 triple axle 5th wheel and get a dually to haul it across the country.

True that you may not get much more trailering capacity but you will be able to load much more in the truck before you run out of payload capacity.

This is why I'm looking... not for more towing capacity, but for the extra payload.

Start small, and work your way up from there. I'd get a trailer that matches your truck, and see how you like it. Who knows, after 1 trip you may never take the family on a trip ever again! Or maybe you'll love it so much you find a 12,000 triple axle 5th wheel and get a dually to haul it across the country.

We already have a smaller trailer. We are looking at the toy hauler because of the ability to haul dirt bikes and the separate garage for our dogs

Check out the Fast Lane Truck on youtube. They did a tow test with the 2015 with the 6.0 2500. It was towing at capacity (something like 13k lb) and made it up the mountain just fine. At your weight it will do just fine. Make sure and get one with the 4.10 rear end.

Check out the Fast Lane Truck on youtube. They did a tow test with the 2015 with the 6.0 2500. It was towing at capacity (something like 13k lb) and made it up the mountain just fine. At your weight it will do just fine. Make sure and get one with the 4.10 rear end.

I did watch that, which makes me think I would be ok with the 6.0 because I would only be towing about half what they were and would not be maxing out my payload

I have 270,000 miles on my 6.0. I've pulled several 10,000lb loads, and it does just fine. Maybe not as smooth and "effortless" as the duramax, but I didn't have any second thoughts about it not making it up the hills.

It sounds like you will be doing your heavier towing at higher elevations. If I were you, I would do it right and go with the 2500 Duramax for sure. The 6L will get the job done but it won't be as efficient as a Duramax and your engine is going to be worked harder.

Towing through the mountains really puts stress on the gas engines and that's where the Duramax will shine. You also don't have to be worried about running the engine near redline to maintain speed with the gas engine.

It's definitely going to cost more money but it's the way to go for sure if you're going to be towing. The Duramax will be a better choice and will tow/haul pretty much whatever you need without issue.

Sent from my crappy iPhone 6

using Tapatalk

How often will you be pulling 10,000 pounds through the mountains? Diesels have their place, but the majority are never really needed for how they are used. The 6.0L is a fine engine and carries/tows loads well. If you are looking for payload, the 6.0 carries more due to the lighter weight of the engine and transmission (check out any truck camper RV forum). Maintenance costs are crazy on a diesel, labor is more, parts are more, gallons of oil at each change, fuel filters, etc. Heck you can buy a new 6.0 crate motor for less than replacement diesel fuel injectors, and you will have a new engine. I'm not anti diesel, it's just that they are not needed for most folks.

The minor advantages a 2500 gasser will give over the 1500 wouldn't be worth the cost of the trade in the given situation IMHO. It's not going to be a night/day difference in the intended use.

Well my 2015 2500HD LT Z71 6.0L 4.10 has a GCWR of 20,300 lb. GVWR on the pickup itself is 9500 lb. With two people, full of fuel, and about 250 lb of toolbox in the back, it weighs in at around 7200 lb. That means, friends, even with two people, full of fuel, the pickup will haul a full ton without even hitting max GVWR. While it is not a Dmax, the 6.0L with the 4.10 is no slouch. And the 6.0L is one of the most reliable and durable gas motors GM has put out. And no stupid AFM goofy nonsense like the 1500 series motors. It was built around a minimum 200,000 mile life before any major repair, and many owners have racked up over 300,00 miles on them and they still work great. Some folks wonder why GM is still using a Vortec 6.0L in the 2500. Since 3/4 of the HD pickup buyers are commercial users, that explains it. Those users want a solid, reliable motor and not interested in the latest ooooh, aaaah factor. It is one of the primary reasons I got the 2500 with the 6.0L. I don't tow every day of the week, mostly haul in the bed, so I didn't need a diesel and it's issues. And the 6.0L is just about the champion gas motor now available from anyone as a solid reliable working motor.

Too say that the 2500 with the 6.0 is only a minor change from the 1500 is really a hard argument to make. When capabilities are looked at side by side, they are not even close. And a really nice equipped 6.0L 2500 is pretty reasonable in price, and the 1500 has nothing on it for the same money. I got my 2015 2500 late last February for about $38K. Double cab, LT, Z71, integrated brake controller, snow plow prep package, 5th wheel/gooseneck prep package, and a Line-X bed job thrown in by the dealer.

This, for me, is a long term investment, and I think I made a solid choice. Will more than handle anything I need to do with a pickup.

The minor advantages a 2500 gasser will give over the 1500 wouldn't be worth the cost of the trade in the given situation IMHO. It's not going to be a night/day difference in the intended use.

Have to chime in.. I just traded a virgin 14 1/2 ton Z/71 in on a 15 HD with the 6.0 gasser, we are pulling a 8,200 lb. dry weight 32' Keystone Laredo TT it has 930lbs. on the tongue. I can tell you this.. my 14 ran out of payload long before it was loaded & ready to camp. I ran it over the Cat 3 platform scales it was scary what I found out even with the WD hitch set up right. The HD handles this TT so much better & the trade with my GM discount wasn't that bad. Wait till a big semi comes around you doing 75 mph & scares the crap out of you in your 1/2 ton, you will be glad & your family will be safer in that HD. my .02 worth.

It sounds like you will be doing your heavier towing at higher elevations. If I were you, I would do it right and go with the 2500 Duramax for sure. The 6L will get the job done but it won't be as efficient as a Duramax and your engine is going to be worked harder.

Towing through the mountains really puts stress on the gas engines and that's where the Duramax will shine. You also don't have to be worried about running the engine near redline to maintain speed with the gas engine.

It's definitely going to cost more money but it's the way to go for sure if you're going to be towing. The Duramax will be a better choice and will tow/haul pretty much whatever you need without issue.

Sent from my crappy iPhone 6

using Tapatalk

This is what I'm afraid of. Lol. I always need the most expensive thing

Archived