Looking to move up to 2500... questions

How often will you be pulling 10,000 pounds through the mountains? Diesels have their place, but the majority are never really needed for how they are used. The 6.0L is a fine engine and carries/tows loads well. If you are looking for payload, the 6.0 carries more due to the lighter weight of the engine and transmission (check out any truck camper RV forum). Maintenance costs are crazy on a diesel, labor is more, parts are more, gallons of oil at each change, fuel filters, etc. Heck you can buy a new 6.0 crate motor for less than replacement diesel fuel injectors, and you will have a new engine. I'm not anti diesel, it's just that they are not needed for most folks.

Not often. The main reason I am looking is for the extra payload. I have a wife, 4 kids and 2 dogs. We would be over our payload in the 1500. And we wouldn't be able to put anything in the bed.

The trailer isn't very heavy (like 5500 dry), but it has a pretty significant tongue weight (830 lbs. without factoring battery and propane)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The minor advantages a 2500 gasser will give over the 1500 wouldn't be worth the cost of the trade in the given situation IMHO. It's not going to be a night/day difference in the intended use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

I get that, but I literally can't take my family in the truck if I'm towing the camper, which defeats the purpose of having the crew cab in the first place. It's either get a bigger truck, or take 2 vehicles every time we camp

Well my 2015 2500HD LT Z71 6.0L 4.10 has a GCWR of 20,300 lb. GVWR on the pickup itself is 9500 lb. With two people, full of fuel, and about 250 lb of toolbox in the back, it weighs in at around 7200 lb. That means, friends, even with two people, full of fuel, the pickup will haul a full ton without even hitting max GVWR. While it is not a Dmax, the 6.0L with the 4.10 is no slouch. And the 6.0L is one of the most reliable and durable gas motors GM has put out. And no stupid AFM goofy nonsense like the 1500 series motors. It was built around a minimum 200,000 mile life before any major repair, and many owners have racked up over 300,00 miles on them and they still work great. Some folks wonder why GM is still using a Vortec 6.0L in the 2500. Since 3/4 of the HD pickup buyers are commercial users, that explains it. Those users want a solid, reliable motor and not interested in the latest ooooh, aaaah factor. It is one of the primary reasons I got the 2500 with the 6.0L. I don't tow every day of the week, mostly haul in the bed, so I didn't need a diesel and it's issues. And the 6.0L is just about the champion gas motor now available from anyone as a solid reliable working motor.

Too say that the 2500 with the 6.0 is only a minor change from the 1500 is really a hard argument to make. When capabilities are looked at side by side, they are not even close. And a really nice equipped 6.0L 2500 is pretty reasonable in price, and the 1500 has nothing on it for the same money. I got my 2015 2500 late last February for about $38K. Double cab, LT, Z71, integrated brake controller, snow plow prep package, 5th wheel/gooseneck prep package, and a Line-X bed job thrown in by the dealer.

This, for me, is a long term investment, and I think I made a solid choice. Will more than handle anything I need to do with a pickup.

This is what I am hoping... that it will be enough to out perform the 1500. Honestly, I could tow the camper we want with the 1500, but I could only do it with myself and maybe the dogs in the truck. Payload is my biggest issue. I test drove the 6.0, and I can tell a difference over the 5.3 right away. Just a little gas and that motor starts pulling. You really have to jamb the pedal on the 5.3 to get that kind of seat-of-the=pants power

Have to chime in.. I just traded a virgin 14 1/2 ton Z/71 in on a 15 HD with the 6.0 gasser, we are pulling a 8,200 lb. dry weight 32' Keystone Laredo TT it has 930lbs. on the tongue. I can tell you this.. my 14 ran out of payload long before it was loaded & ready to camp. I ran it over the Cat 3 platform scales it was scary what I found out even with the WD hitch set up right. The HD handles this TT so much better & the trade with my GM discount wasn't that bad. Wait till a big semi comes around you doing 75 mph & scares the crap out of you in your 1/2 ton, you will be glad & your family will be safer in that HD. my .02 worth.

This is the kind of real world experience I'm looking for. Do you ever tow on a grade? I've never been to Michigan, so I don't know what kind of terrain you have there, or if you venture out into any mountainous areas. My trailer and tongue weight would be less than what you are pulling

Yeah, my towing experience probably doesn't matter. I likely tow more in a month than most here do in a season, or even a year. I've had nearly 10k behind mine, and I've towed in the rockies with a much more capable truck...but that experience doesn't count.

Best of luck with both your purchases.

Yeah, my towing experience probably doesn't matter. I likely tow more in a month than most here do in a season, or even a year. I've had nearly 10k behind mine, and I've towed in the rockies with a much more capable truck...but that experience doesn't count.

Best of luck with both your purchases.

I haven't discounted any of your experience. I actually don't know what your experience is. All you said was to check the specs, and I may not be getting much more truck. I won't be towing 10,000 lbs. I'm trying to solve my issue, which is payload capacity. I'm trying to get some real world experience from people who have towed a similar amount of weight in similar circumstances with one truck or the other, or both. I appreciate your input, and I haven't made any decision yet. I am trying to figure out if my needs justify the extra cost.

my buddy traded in his 2015 silverado 2500 gas, for a diesel after his first camping trip with that truck. 7 mpg from MD to Disney. with a similar sized camper. i cant imagine what it would be in the mountains. just food for thought

GMC Sooner I think either 2500 version would easily suite your needs. If that extra money for the diesel isn't there the 2500 gas would be a huge step up for you. I switched to a 2500 gas in May from 30 years of GM 1500 trucks wow its a totally different feeling. The 2500 is a huge truck with good payload rating and it feels better pulling loads. Your more confident driving cause your in control and not right on the edge. Everyone made some good points diesel or gas its your choice either would handle your needs. I wanted to add that my trailer is 5300lb and pull it once a week but like yourself needed more payload. :thumbs:

GMC Sooner I think either 2500 version would easily suite your needs. If that extra money for the diesel isn't there the 2500 gas would be a huge step up for you. I switched to a 2500 gas in May from 30 years of GM 1500 trucks wow its a totally different feeling. The 2500 is a huge truck with good payload rating and it feels better pulling loads. Your more confident driving cause your in control and not right on the edge. Everyone made some good points diesel or gas its your choice either would handle your needs.

I think you're right... good points on both sides. I've yet to drive the diesel, so I think I'm going to go to the dealer today or tomorrow and give it a go and see what kind of pricing I can find on both

my buddy traded in his 2015 silverado 2500 gas, for a diesel after his first camping trip with that truck. 7 mpg from MD to Disney. with a similar sized camper. i cant imagine what it would be in the mountains. just food for thought

And what kind of MPG is he getting with the diesel on the same trip? I doubt it's enough of an improvement to justify the extra cost. You can buy a lot of gas for $8000, haha.

To the OP...you'll be getting a lot more truck with a 2500HD gasser, especially if you buy a 2011 or newer. That will ensure that you're getting the upgraded 6.0 (from 300 hp to 360 hp) and a much better chassis. It will tow your modest TH just fine. I have the truck in my sig, and my dad has had a couple 2500HD gassers in the past few years. We go to Colorado every summer to camp and ride 4-wheelers. His truck pulls their small toy hauler (about 7500 lbs loaded) much better than my truck pulls my Jayco baja pop-up. The difference is night and day. And, not only is it more stable, the cooling system is better too. My truck hates pulling anything...especially in the mountains, haha

And what kind of MPG is he getting with the diesel on the same trip? I doubt it's enough of an improvement to justify the extra cost. You can buy a lot of gas for $8000, haha.

To the OP...you'll be getting a lot more truck with a 2500HD gasser, especially if you buy a 2011 or newer. That will ensure that you're getting the upgraded 6.0 (from 300 hp to 360 hp) and a much better chassis. It will tow your modest TH just fine. I have the truck in my sig, and my dad has had a couple 2500HD gassers in the past few years. We go to Colorado every summer to camp and ride 4-wheelers. His truck pulls their small toy hauler (about 7500 lbs loaded) much better than my truck pulls my Jayco baja pop-up. The difference is night and day. And, not only is it more stable, the cooling system is better too. My truck hates pulling anything...especially in the mountains, haha

Thanks Whiskey. That's another thing I will appreciate on either one... the beefier frame and suspension.

I say it comes down to the amount of miles you wanna drive. Pack the miles on diesel is a better choice.

Not a ton of miles. We live in the Denver area, so to go over the pass is a hop skip and jump. I usually stay in the right lane with the semis anyway. Not all of our trips will be over the pass either. There are plenty of spots for us to go that don't involve heavy grades. Our local dealer is listing their 6.0s loaded with Z71, leather, etc. for around $46k. Not a bad price.

There are arguments to be made that are viable for either motor. If I was towing heavy a lot, no doubt about it, I would go with a Dmax. I tow infrequently, and rarely anything very heavy. I need payload, and a 1500 seems to start squatting over very insignificant loads. It is just a car on steroids. No 1500 has anything near the capability that I want. But, likewise, since it is more about payload than towing a 12K trailer to Alaska or similar, I have no appreciable need for a diesel. Each person has to look at what they are doing. For mountain work, even towing lighter, a good argument can be made for Dmax, simply because we are talking altitude, grades, etc and a engine being force fed air is always a plus compared to one having to suck in air like an asthmatic. And in selecting a gasser, I wanted nothing to do with the stupid AFM stuff on the 1500 motors, so that made the decision to go with a gasser 2500 a lock. Capability, strong motor and trans, flexible fuel choice without being locked into one fuel choice, brakes that make a 1500 seem pretty lame, etc... easy pick for my needs.

Up till recently, on a fuel cost game, it was difficult to argue against a Dmax. Diesel fuel and gas were in the same ballpark pricing. Well, the spreads have started up again, and especially so in some areas of the country. That has to be taken into account.

You should be able to negotiate some very good discounts on a 6.0L equipped 2500. Mine had a sticker of about $48K and I got it for slightly over $38K. And that was mid year without one of those "GM Truck Month" sales going on. And considering the dealer also thru in a Line-X bed treatment job as part of the deal was a nice plus also.

There are arguments to be made that are viable for either motor. If I was towing heavy a lot, no doubt about it, I would go with a Dmax. I tow infrequently, and rarely anything very heavy. I need payload, and a 1500 seems to start squatting over very insignificant loads. It is just a car on steroids. No 1500 has anything near the capability that I want. But, likewise, since it is more about payload than towing a 12K trailer to Alaska or similar, I have no appreciable need for a diesel. Each person has to look at what they are doing. For mountain work, even towing lighter, a good argument can be made for Dmax, simply because we are talking altitude, grades, etc and a engine being force fed air is always a plus compared to one having to suck in air like an asthmatic. And in selecting a gasser, I wanted nothing to do with the stupid AFM stuff on the 1500 motors, so that made the decision to go with a gasser 2500 a lock. Capability, strong motor and trans, flexible fuel choice without being locked into one fuel choice, brakes that make a 1500 seem pretty lame, etc... easy pick for my needs.

Up till recently, on a fuel cost game, it was difficult to argue against a Dmax. Diesel fuel and gas were in the same ballpark pricing. Well, the spreads have started up again, and especially so in some areas of the country. That has to be taken into account.

You should be able to negotiate some very good discounts on a 6.0L equipped 2500. Mine had a sticker of about $48K and I got it for slightly over $38K. And that was mid year without one of those "GM Truck Month" sales going on. And considering the dealer also thru in a Line-X bed treatment job as part of the deal was a nice plus also.

Damn how did you get them down to $38k?

Archived