Looking to move up to 2500... questions

Actually, it wasn't that hard. The dealer came out of the gate at $40K from the sticker $48K. I just haggled a little for the $38 and got them to throw in a Line-X job. That was before my trade in. I am sure it was part dumb luck, dealer wanting to move the pickup off the lot, or any number of factors. It just worked out well. I was hitting up different dealers at the same time and they knew it, so that probably played into a good deal also.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, my towing experience probably doesn't matter. I likely tow more in a month than most here do in a season, or even a year. I've had nearly 10k behind mine, and I've towed in the rockies with a much more capable truck...but that experience doesn't count.

Best of luck with both your purchases.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

LOL......no need to throw a fit, the man never said the experience you claim doesn't matter.

Sent from my crappy iPhone 6

using Tapatalk

Actually, it wasn't that hard. The dealer came out of the gate at $40K from the sticker $48K. I just haggled a little for the $38 and got them to throw in a Line-X job. That was before my trade in. I am sure it was part dumb luck, dealer wanting to move the pickup off the lot, or any number of factors. It just worked out well. I was hitting up different dealers at the same time and they knew it, so that probably played into a good deal also.

^^ That's a pretty good deal IMO, my trade in with my 10k mile 14 1/2 ton Z/71 DB out the door cash was 12,445.00 & that's on a LT w2 LT Z/71 $50,277.00 truck. Dealer had to go 2 states away to find one about the same color & options as my 14.

(Pics. in my profile)...My case was I got the truck before the TT & trading the camper in the wife would not be very happy .Congrats on your new truck! Yes BTW we do have hills up here in northern Mi.! I needed the HD for back in forth Fla. winter trips..

^^ That's a pretty good deal IMO, my trade in with my 10k mile 14 1/2 ton Z/71 DB out the door cash was 12,445.00 & that's on a LT w2 LT Z/71 $50,277.00 truck. Dealer had to go 2 states away to find one about the same color & options as my 14.

(Pics. in my profile)...My case was I got the truck before the TT & trading the camper in the wife would not be very happy .Congrats on your new truck! Yes BTW we do have hills up here in northern Mi.! I needed the HD for back in forth Fla. winter trips..

(Pics. in my profile)...My case was I got the truck before the TT & trading the camper in well, the wife would not be very happy .Congrats on your new truck! Yes BTW we do have hills up here in northern Mi.! I needed the HD for back in forth Fla. winter trips..

(Pics. in my profile)...My case was I got the truck before the TT & trading the camper in well, the wife would not be very happy .Congrats on your new truck! Yes BTW we do have hills up here in northern Mi.! I needed the HD for back in forth Fla. winter trips..

I got my 2011 Gmc Sierra 2500hd z71 4x4 sle gas 2 months ago and it's a huge night and day difference compared to my 2003 Silverado 1500 2wd I owned for 10 yrs. Everything on this truck is heavy duty. I won't have any problems with payload or pulling 3000lbs once a week to go 4 wheeling. 0d19231ea5252169e89caa6a2062804e.jpg

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I just purchased a GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0 this weekend. Talk about a big difference between my 2012 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3. As mentioned above it is night and day difference in terms of the strength of these trucks vs the 1500 series.

80% of the stated capacity is a good rule of thumb for specifying equipment capacities ranging from pickup trucks to semi's. The truck won't be operating at its limits the whole time giving you a comfort and durability/longevity factor that isn't there when operating at capacity.

It sounds like a 2500HD would be a good choice for you. Bigger brakes, stiffer frame, stronger axles, thicker tires all make for a much more stable platform. Make sure you get the 4.10 gears. My truck has 3.73's, our other work truck has 4.10's and is a different animal. Higher towing capacity and much more low-end grunt from taller gears sounds like it would be a must for you in those steep grades.

The diesel would be the cat's meow, but doesn't sound like a necessity. The step up from a 1500 to 2500 alone will be huge for you. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

80% of the stated capacity is a good rule of thumb for specifying equipment capacities ranging from pickup trucks to semi's. The truck won't be operating at its limits the whole time giving you a comfort and durability/longevity factor that isn't there when operating at capacity.

It sounds like a 2500HD would be a good choice for you. Bigger brakes, stiffer frame, stronger axles, thicker tires all make for a much more stable platform. Make sure you get the 4.10 gears. My truck has 3.73's, our other work truck has 4.10's and is a different animal. Higher towing capacity and much more low-end grunt from taller gears sounds like it would be a must for you in those steep grades.

The diesel would be the cat's meow, but doesn't sound like a necessity. The step up from a 1500 to 2500 alone will be huge for you. Best of luck!

Thank you. I think I am leaning heavily towards to gasser. Definitely looking for the 4.10s. When I bought my current truck, the salesmen didn't even understand what I was asking for. SMH. These guys know nothing about these trucks. I asked one internet manager to let me know the specific payload for a particular truck, even told him where to find it. Came back and said he couldn't find it (in other words, he didn't get his ass off his chair to go look) but that the payload was 4000 lbs. Funny since the max is 3750. Another one was standing beside me and the truck. I asked him to open it back up so I could check the payload. He said he would "race: me by looking it up on his app. I told him that number wouldn't be accurate, and sure enough, it wasn't. No clue. This is how I ended up with a truck that can't handle what I want to tow, even though I am well within my tow capacity (I know... I didn't do my homework the first time). BUT... no one talks about payload related to tow capacity. I'm a bit flabbergasted.

Unfortunately, that sounds about right for most truck salesman. If you're interested in doing anything more than getting groceries they're out of their league! If you've got a commercial truck dealer in your area that also sells pickups they'd probably be a lot more knowledgeable. Sounds like you've done your homework so you've already got an edge on them!

I can't say that I've ever considered payload and towing capacity in conjunction. The towing I've done with trailers has always been with the trailer carrying its payload and little extra weight in the truck. Kudos to you for getting all the numbers figures out! -Joe

Unfortunately, that sounds about right for most truck salesman. If you're interested in doing anything more than getting groceries they're out of their league! If you've got a commercial truck dealer in your area that also sells pickups they'd probably be a lot more knowledgeable. Sounds like you've done your homework so you've already got an edge on them!

I can't say that I've ever considered payload and towing capacity in conjunction. The towing I've done with trailers has always been with the trailer carrying its payload and little extra weight in the truck. Kudos to you for getting all the numbers figures out! -Joe

This would normally be true and the norm, but I have a family of six, 2 dogs and a couple dirt bikes I want to put in the bed. Start adding up all that weight and it gets heavy in a hurry. Add to that a pretty hefty tongue weight and you go over before you know it

You might need to look into a 3500 with all that gear!

I've done the math, and even giving myself a little cushion, I'm at 80% of my payload, which I think is well within a comfortable limit. The kids bikes are small, so they don't weigh a lot

I would think it would not be an issue. Full of fuel, a couple hundred lb in the back, and two people in mine still leaves about 2300 lb of payload capacity with my 2500 out of the total 9500 lb GVWR.

Your best friend I found is get it all loaded up fuel, kids, bikes, ready to camp etc. & hit the big rig 3 platform Cat truck scales weighing all your axles & find out where your at, its a $10.50 charge. On my HD I have a good cushion to the better pulling a white monster TT, it weighs 9,230 lbs. with 920 lbs. on the hitch, my new 2500 gasser is a vast improvement over the 1500 as far as pulling towing etc. Let us know what you find out.

Archived