Looking to move up to 2500... questions

I cheat. I pull into town and go over the local grain elevator. they have digital readout display and I can weigh and it costs me nothing.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cheat. I pull into town and go over the local grain elevator. they have digital readout display and I can weigh and it costs me nothing.

But your only getting the total combined weight if its not a 3 platform Cat scales, you get the steer axle, rear drive axle, & your trailer weight along with your combined total weight, this way you know if your WD hitch is set up right & your not overloading your drive axle or not having enough on the front axle, just saying....

I realize that some of this escapes a lot of folks, but after over 5 million documented commercial trucking miles, I have learned over the years how to get axle weights on a single platform scale. A very simple process that is as accurate as a multiplatform scale. I even have a couple of phone apps now that make is simpler. Just saying...

Now, simplified for those that haven't quite figured out how to do it.....

1) Pull on get steer axle weight.

2) Pull forward and get drive axle on scale along with steer axle, take weight. Subtract steer axle weight from #1 and you have drive axle weight. And you have total weight on the truck.

3) Now pull on trailer, get total weight of truck and trailer, and subtract the weight you got with both steer and drive axle on platform in #2, and you have trailer weight.

Complicated, eh? And you don't even need a commercial drivers license to figure it out. You want a great app that will do all of this for you, all you do is pull up each axle and plug in the weight as you go along, the app breaks it all down for you.

The app is called Scale It. Available on Apple and Android. Just plug in the numbers off the scale display as you pull on each axle and it breaks them all down for you. And in my case, the app is free and the scale is free! Doesn't get a whole lot better than that!

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I would give an update...

I located a lightly used (8000 miles) 2015 crew cab 4x4 LTZ gasser with front bench seat (apparently these aren't easy to find) and took possession yesterday. Can't wait to see how she tows!

• 1 month later...

fyi I traded a diesel dmax for a 6.0. best thing I ever did. it gets a whopping 2 mpg the less than my diesel and cost 40 cents less a gallon to fill up. we wont get into fixing it when it breaks. ive not towed with it yet but I had over 4k of gravel in the bed and could run as fast as I wanted to.

• 4 weeks later...

Ratings are just suggested. Lol i have found most of the time they are set much lower than the trucks limits. I've towed a few things with half tons without trl brakes that would have some of you boys a bit uneasy. Nowadays it's not really the engines that lack. A 3/4 or 1 ton is much more stable and slows and stops much safer and better than a 1/2 ton though. Needless to say I own 2 3/4 tons. A dodge diesel and a 02 gmc with the 6.0. I haven't got to tow with the 6.0, but I'm sure it'll tow just fine. Then again the dodge has had a lot of driveline issues. 800hp or so doesn't help. So the gmc is probably going to do more work than the dodge diesel. Lol

Archived