Retrofitting the factory integrated brake controler

Hello all,

I just bought a 2016 Silverado 1/2 ton without the IBC. I see everyone saying that a factory IBC switch can't be added. My question is why can't I connect the factory wiring harness(Z82) that came in the glovebox into back of the factory IBC? The factory IBC is just a switch, right? It doesn't care or know what it's connected to or where it gets it's power. I can buy the IBC on eBay for $50, cut the plug behind the dash and splice it into the Z82 factory wiring harness that plugs into fuse box. Am I missing something or has no one thought of this?

• Like 1

Hello all,

I just bought a 2016 Silverado 1/2 ton without the IBC. I see everyone saying that a factory IBC switch can't be added. My question is why can't I connect the factory wiring harness(Z82) that came in the glovebox into back of the factory IBC? The factory IBC is just a switch, right? It doesn't care or know what it's connected to or where it gets it's power. I can buy the IBC on eBay for $50, cut the plug behind the dash and splice it into the Z82 factory wiring harness that plugs into fuse box. Am I missing something or has no one thought of this?

The IBC is a completely integrated brake controller with many components. It is not even close to just a switch. No, you can't do what you said, it doesn't work.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2016 RCSB WT which obviously does not have the factory brake controller and I know it cannot be added. If I ever need a brake controller I will go with an aftermarket unit.

My question is where do those wires that are in the plug behind the panel go ? Do they exit the cab and go to the rear of the truck ? Is there a plug at the rear of the truck that would connect to a factory brake module on trucks equipped with IBC that is the termination of the wires from the dash plug ? My twisted mind wonders if those wires could be used to connect lights at the rear of the truck instead of running more wiring. Like I said my mind is twisted. That and I get dizzy looking at the miles of wires in my truck !

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone,

HELP ... any alternatives to the Chevy crap I received on my 2017 van?

I just purchased a used 2017 Chevy Express 3500 van. It has an unknown wire hanging under the rear bumper. Just told mine is missing a 'jumper' part and this is not available. Our Installer placed a CURT receiver on and could not use the CURT kit as a trailer harness discovering this crap was in place (see link).

We are disgusted with the dealership selling it to us in this manner. Like is states in the manual p210, we are under the impression that a 7-round to 4-wire adapter plug is all that is required. After days, Dealership says only the entire GM package costing $445 plus installation can be done. I am likely to file lawsuit on the dealership and GM for negligent mis-reprsentation, even a fraud having reliance with deception regarding purchase--as they knew I was purchasing to tow antiques. Presently relying on their corporate goodness-of heart policy-aka, doing the right thing. Checking on sufficient evidence if not corrected in good faith.

Wonderful link I found here--those with similar problem. Mine looks same.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/184667-trying-to-find-the-right-wiring-harness-connector-for-14-express-trailer-package/

Is there anything that can be fitted on this with a 4-wire on the end into a trailer?

What did the others do with this missing piece?

Go to a junk yard?

Thanks, hciclos, Steve

• Like 1

Did read in the link you posted that the connector pictured in the thread was the wrong connector? Or is the connector you have the one on post #3?

Does the connector shown below that's plugged into the back of the 7-way look like the connector you're seeing?

Can you post a picture of your connector?

41155_2014~Chevrolet~Express_Van_5_1000.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

HELP ... any alternatives to the Chevy crap I received on my 2017 van?

I just purchased a used 2017 Chevy Express 3500 van. It has an unknown wire hanging under the rear bumper. Just told mine is missing a 'jumper' part and this is not available. Our Installer placed a CURT receiver on and could not use the CURT kit as a trailer harness discovering this crap was in place (see link).

We are disgusted with the dealership selling it to us in this manner. Like is states in the manual p210, we are under the impression that a 7-round to 4-wire adapter plug is all that is required. After days, Dealership says only the entire GM package costing $445 plus installation can be done. I am likely to file lawsuit on the dealership and GM for negligent mis-reprsentation, even a fraud having reliance with deception regarding purchase--as they knew I was purchasing to tow antiques. Presently relying on their corporate goodness-of heart policy-aka, doing the right thing. Checking on sufficient evidence if not corrected in good faith.

Wonderful link I found here--those with similar problem. Mine looks same.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/184667-trying-to-find-the-right-wiring-harness-connector-for-14-express-trailer-package/

Is there anything that can be fitted on this with a 4-wire on the end into a trailer?

What did the others do with this missing piece?

Go to a junk yard?

Thanks, hciclos, Steve

My sales person was completely illiterate about technical issues or what packages/combos were available. I don't know if it is actual or feigned. You could sue them but I doubt it will go very far; it could wind up in small-claims court. I came in with a set of specifications, but the sales person didn't know the combo spec I wanted wasn't built by GM at all. My regular sales guy had left on his own and works for a different dealer in a town nearby. The one I I wound up with wasn't even the one with whom I had an appointment. The person never once even presented the available options to come up with the best possible solution. I talked with the Sales Manager and he knew what was available and corrected me on many misconceptions (the sales person's job). I filed a formal complaint against my sales person and recommended remedial training.

Some dealers have a sell at any cost or lose your job attitude. Fortunately, what I did get turns out to fit the bill perfectly. The only problem is that I left feeling hustled and disrespected. Needless to say, after buying four good vehicles and having three great experiences with the dealer, the fourth one left a really sour taste in my mouth, so I won't be back. Most unfortunate since I know a lot of the people in there personally and I really like the place.

Forget the junk yard as I doubt you will find wrecked out trucks that will have the correct harnesses you need.

Edited by elchilero53

• 1 year later...

E05AB0AA-C063-4FE2-A1E0-AD4966DA43E9.thumb.jpeg.6b98816449b712577e9dd53db3d8893c.jpegJust installed the P3 in my 2018 Sierra Denali. Went with Bobber’s idea and created a cut out in the back of the coin pocket in the top of the headlight control panel where the factory brake assist would normally be located. I ordered a new panel and ised that for the cuts. I placed the P3 into the opening and screwed in each side with the screws provided with the P3 and it’s bracket. Then I pulled out the original panel and replaced it with the new one.  I ordered a wiring harness that already had a plug for my model truck so no need to splice in any plugs.   I included some pics. Works great and well secured in the dash. I

54BBCC2B-072D-4325-8D25-D0C2BABFE35D.jpeg

87918CCE-F807-45E1-9AE7-6CE59198FB2A.jpeg

B74EABE7-1590-4CC0-A072-683D6008C6E7.jpeg