Anybody feel ripped off over all terrain tires?

Garykk

My truck was listed as having all terrain 20" tires with the 20" rims...NOT

Tires are passenger tires, not even light truck tires, Goodyear Wranglers clearly stamped m/s...what a rip off.

Debating going to local Discount tire and seeing if they will make a deal to put some real tires on my truck.

Unless you buy a 1/2 ton with 17" wheels or a 3/4 ton or higher truck, you will never find an LT tire on 1/2 ton GM trucks. The only LT on a 1/2 ton GM is with 17" wheels, LT 265/70/17 C load Bridgestone Dueler RHS.

The Goodyear SR-A according to Goodyear is an all season/all terrain tire.

Goodyear Wrangler SR-A®
  • All-Season
  • All-Terrain

Our best tire for highway driving with enhanced traction, optimized tread wear and handling on wet roads - complemented by a quiet ride. Trusted for original equipment on leading pick-up trucks.

SR-A is on as the OE all terrain because it is a "fuel efficient" all terrain tire. OE tires are set for ride, comfort, and fuel efficiency. Not life and or aggressiveness. 2016 for the 18" wheels with all terrain option have now gone back to the Bridgestone Dueler RHS from the GMT-900 trucks. GM must have gotten enough complaints to switch.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish my truck would of came with AT tires and not the sr-a that can't grip dry pavement but I don't care for LT tires there to heavy and surve no purpose on a half ton truck unless you are rock crawling. Most passenger tires are rated for 2700 lbs per tire that's more then enough to handle any load that a half ton can handle and on average 15 to 20 lbs a tire heavyer your losing a lot of power just to pull them down the highway not to mention your MPGs (if you care ). Now yes there are some nice LT tires and I would like to run them but I'm not putting a 56 lbs tire on my truck to drive to work every day on

Tires are passenger tires, not even light truck tires, Goodyear Wranglers clearly stamped m/s...what a rip off.

Debating going to local Discount tire and seeing if they will make a deal to put some real tires on my truck.

I had 275/55/r20 wrangler SR-A's with 2700 miles on them and discount gave me $70 a tire. I priced the tires brand new on amazon at $130 so I thought it was a decent deal. I tried craigslist for about a month at $100 a tire a not a single hit.

I had 275/55/r20 wrangler SR-A's with 2700 miles on them and discount gave me $70 a tire. I priced the tires brand new on amazon at $130 so I thought it was a decent deal. I tried craigslist for about a month at $100 a tire a not a single hit.

You did well then... Tirerack has the SR-As for $438 after rebates.

I drove on the SR-As for the last 14 months with a 2010 Silverado, they were fine for highway miles but the smallest amount of snow or mud and you can forget about it.

I just bought a 2015 All Terrain with the 22" 7 spoke wheels and Duelers, I found the Duelers with less than acceptable traction on pavement. I never got them dirty because I sold the wheels/tires back to the dealership for $2,995 (sticker price) and they would mount the standard 20's that come on the All Terrain during the deal to pay for sales tax and cover the cost of AT KO tires.

Here is before and after that process (with a 2.25" level kit in there of course):

Day%20one%20vs%20Complete.jpg

Yeah most new trucks have sad sorry sacks for tires all aimed at fuel economy. I have a 2013 FX4 F150 with 20's..... P rated Pirelli's but it's a pavement queen so they do fine for me..... a 2015 Tundra SR5 with the TRD off road package and it came with 18" P rated Michelin LTX's...... They lasted exactly 2300 kms and one had a hole you could stuff at least one finger in through the tread from the gravel... junk. My Silvy came with the 18" SRA's and with 800 kms on the odometer it got BF K02's in the 10 ply variety and stock 265/65/18 size.

The only late model truck I have had that came oem with an LT tire was an F150 that like my FX4 held a 7700 lb gvwr ( XLT extended cab 4X4 with the 6.2) and it had LT 275/65/18 Wrangler ATS's on it in load range C. I had 65000 kms on them when I traded the truck in and they were pretty well worn out... never had a flat but the rocks chewed them up pretty good.

As said all the LT's with 17's guys get at work come with the Dueler's in the load range C variety and otherwise its just P rated crap.

I use my truck to go hiking and search and rescue work. My last Wranger came with similar tires, can't tell you how many flats I got till I switched to some real 10 ply all terrain tires..oh well....buyer beware I guess ...

Guess it's a trip to Discount Tire and see what I can get for a deal..

Didn't you check the tires before you bought the truck?

You did well then... Tirerack has the SR-As for $438 after rebates.

I drove on the SR-As for the last 14 months with a 2010 Silverado, they were fine for highway miles but the smallest amount of snow or mud and you can forget about it.

I just bought a 2015 All Terrain with the 22" 7 spoke wheels and Duelers, I found the Duelers with less than acceptable traction on pavement. I never got them dirty because I sold the wheels/tires back to the dealership for $2,995 (sticker price) and they would mount the standard 20's that come on the All Terrain during the deal to pay for sales tax and cover the cost of AT KO tires.

Here is before and after that process (with a 2.25" level kit in there of course):

Day%20one%20vs%20Complete.jpg

Looks good !

Yeah most new trucks have sad sorry sacks for tires all aimed at fuel economy. I have a 2013 FX4 F150 with 20's..... P rated Pirelli's but it's a pavement queen so they do fine for me..... a 2015 Tundra SR5 with the TRD off road package and it came with 18" P rated Michelin LTX's...... They lasted exactly 2300 kms and one had a hole you could stuff at least one finger in through the tread from the gravel... junk. My Silvy came with the 18" SRA's and with 800 kms on the odometer it got BF K02's in the 10 ply variety and stock 265/65/18 size.

The only late model truck I have had that came oem with an LT tire was an F150 that like my FX4 held a 7700 lb gvwr ( XLT extended cab 4X4 with the 6.2) and it had LT 275/65/18 Wrangler ATS's on it in load range C. I had 65000 kms on them when I traded the truck in and they were pretty well worn out... never had a flat but the rocks chewed them up pretty good.

As said all the LT's with 17's guys get at work come with the Dueler's in the load range C variety and otherwise its just P rated crap.

Yup, because they aren't at all capable of completing what they were originally designed to do :rolleyes:

Tyler

Yup, because they aren't at all capable of completing what they were originally designed to do :rolleyes:

Tyler

The oem tires in most cases most certainly are not. We don't all live in the country of never ending perfect concrete interchanges lol. It's quite laughable buying trucks equipped with "off road packages" that have tires incapable of lasting on basic gravel roads.... At least offering an actual truck tire as a factory option would be nice for once...

Sent from a potato

My truck came factory with the LT (C Load) off-road tires....Bridgestone Dueller AT RHS 265/70/17.

They were a mediocre tire. Poor snow performance. They were only M/S rated...not even severe snow service rated! Not acceptable for an optional AT IMO.

I switched to Wrangler Duratracs, and now that those are worn out I've just gotten Bridgestone TA KO2. Both are way better AT tires...and proper snow rated as well.

Best to just buy the tire you want and not count on the manufacturer to guess at what you want.

My truck came factory with the LT (C Load) off-road tires....Bridgestone Dueller AT RHS 265/70/17.

They were a mediocre tire. Poor snow performance. They were only M/S rated...not even severe snow service rated! Not acceptable for an optional AT IMO.

I switched to Wrangler Duratracs, and now that those are worn out I've just gotten Bridgestone TA KO2. Both are way better AT tires...and proper snow rated as well.

Best to just buy the tire you want and not count on the manufacturer to guess at what you want.

I think you mean BF Goodrich not Bridgestone? haha

Archived