Do You Wait For The Oil Change Reminder In Your GM?

Gorehamj

On 11/27/2017 at 9:26 AM, i82much said:

i beat my vehicles senseless, never change anything except the radio station, then i trade them in to let the next poor sap deal with whatever issues i caused.

Now that is cold, dude!  ?

Update to this thread.  Got rid of the Acadia and now have a 2016 Suburban.  It is on it's third oil change and has 21k on it.  The oil in it now is the last of the 2 free changes by the dealer and has the dexos1 oil and AC PF63 filter.  I just sent a sample off to Dyson Analysis. The oil has 6,300 miles on it and the OLM is down to 17%.  I'll be changing it out here in another week and going with AMSOIL's Signature Series 0ww-20 and an Ea017 filter.  I'll pull a sample of that fill out at 6k miles as well to see how well it is doing. 

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2015 at 5:09 PM, ShelKol said:

I wait for 5-10% on the OLM and change it. I usually do it myself as it is cheaper, I can do it when I want to, and don't have to sit around waiting for someone else to do it.

I have a '13 2500HD - dealer did the first change, A station in Utah (I was on a trip) changed it the second time ($90 - I almost had a heart attack). Third time I did it myself - found grease fittings on the ball joints and tie rods that had never been greased :(. I greased them - that's why I like to do things myself

My Stealer did my first 3 changes ...I was installing a leveling kit ...found rusty fittings .. Had never seen greese ... ugh..

Do whatever your comfortable with. I ignore the OLM. I do a lot of local short drives, sometimes the engine does not even get up to temp. Since I have no intention of ever selling my truck, I change oil and filter twice a year.  GM has their schedule, I have mine.

my 'A' trip odometer i use for my oil mileage and my 'B' trip odometer i use for rotating my tires.  both try to do every 5k miles...OLM is usually pretty close and i use it only as a gauge as it is a couple clicks closer on the truck computer...

Mobil 1 full synthetic, advanced fuel economy, and Mobil 1 M1-212a replacement filter.

Truely spoken,

when ich change oil by myself -  I always forget to reset the "life time indicator" - usually some (2 ore 3) weeks later, the sign appears and I get nervous, what has happened.

• 3 weeks later...

I change oil and rotate tires every 5,000 miles, whether it needs it or not! :)  

Gives me an excuse to play in my garage and makes it simpler for me to stay in cadence on getting it done.    Also, a significant number of my miles are spent towing a 6700# TT, so I like to stay on top of it. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've been following the OLM, when it gets to 20% I schedule an appt. at the Chevy Dealer... I may go back to the 5k mile plan but, I'll still goto the GM dealer, I can take my laptop and work while they change the oil, much  more pleasant than DIYing it plus I don't have to worry whether I did it correctly and maybe they'll catch an issue before I do.

Yeah, I have never followed the OLM thing on any vehicle I have owned.  And as for scheduling anything with the dealer, that will only happen if there is a warranty issue or a recall.  Not comfortable with them doing anything to my vehicle except that.   I guess a case by case basis. I haven't taken a vehicle to any shop for an oil change, diff lube change, etc in over 40 years.  The OLM thing is a novelty that I don't avail myself of.  As all sophisticated as it may be, it cannot account for some  variables.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2017 at 8:21 AM, beetle said:

Do whatever your comfortable with. I ignore the OLM. I do a lot of local short drives, sometimes the engine does not even get up to temp. Since I have no intention of ever selling my truck, I change oil and filter twice a year.  GM has their schedule, I have mine.

Because people drive them different is exactly the reason that the OLM was developed.

FWIW, GM says change it at least once a year

• 3 months later...

Has anyone tried this oil:

Milesyn SXR 5W30 API GF-5/SN Dexos1 Full Synthetic Motor Oil 5 Gallon Pail https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YUKMLSU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_FYZ4AbDFS4KNN

It's Dexos1 Gen2 certified and reasonably priced...they also have DexVI, 5w20, etc. I think I read on their website it is a PAO.

I might get a bucket and run it through my OPE and see how it holds up, then use it in the truck/car.

2012 2500hd 6.0l CCSB 4wd

• 2 months later...

My engine loves clean oil, drive different with clean oil.  7500 miles, even with synthetic is too long.  Usually the OLM says 33% when the motor is at 5,000 miles since the last change and that is when it gets changed.  Have been using used Mobil 1 since the 1980s.