Pic Request for 275/60/20 vs 275/65/20 BFG KO2

It's tough to get an accurate idea on what these A/T tires actually weigh....seems like the stock wrangler sr-a's weigh in around 40 lbs in 275/55/20 while I have seen the nitto terra grappler g2 & BFF Goodrich at ko2 in 275/65/20 both listed between 55-59lbs - or 57 lbs, so that's a significant difference and one you'd most likely notice.

Anyone know if there's a lighter aggressive looking A/T tire that weighs closer to stock?

Have you checked out the BFG Rugged Terrains? They aren't as aggressive but still have a good all terrain look to them. I've had a couple sets of them on past vehicles and liked them a lot. I got good mileage out of them and they are smooth. Considering replacing the ko2's with them once they wear out but I don't know if I will... there is just something about the look of the ko2's that I love!

here are my new BFG KO2s, 275/65R20. will get better pics soon, its been raining for 3 days. no rubbing so far, still have lots of room. i have the RC front level only. ride a little rougher and louder than stock but nothing bad. should smooth out over time. truck seems a little more sluggish now with larger tire and more weight. i was avg 19 city, we will see what happens.

BFG KO2 1

BFG KO2 3

BFG KO2 2

I have been looking at the Toyo Open Country A/T II in P275/60/R20 and they are 43 lbs: https://www.toyotires.com/tire/pattern/open-country-at-ii-on-off-road-all-terrain-tires

This is the tire I got after I installed RC 2.5 with rear block. I like them, but could go a little bigger. Sometimes I wish I had gone with a 275/65R20, but all the tires are much heavier. I'll probably go up a size once these wear out.

This is the tire I got after I installed RC 2.5 with rear block. I like them, but could go a little bigger. Sometimes I wish I had gone with a 275/65R20, but all the tires are much heavier. I'll probably go up a size once these wear out.

I like the look of these definitely similar to the BFG's, but where do you see the weight listed? I do see they come in 275/65/20 and these will def be on my short list.Really coming down to these, BFG KO2's, and Terra grappler G2

Actually found it - Toyo open country AT2's in 275/60/20 weigh in @ 43.4 lbs while the 275/65/20 is an E rated LT tire and the weight jumps way up to 56.7 lbs.....I really want a 275/65 but don't want that penalty of lower mpg's/performance....need to find a an AT tire that weighs under 50 lbs in 275/65/20 not E rated...possible/??

To TIG488 - do you have 5.3 or 6.2? What gearing? I would expect adding nearly 20lbs unsprung weight to each corner is going to have an effect

Edited by crushNchowda

I like the look of these definitely similar to the BFG's, but where do you see the weight listed? I do see they come in 275/65/20 and these will def be on my short list.Really coming down to these, BFG KO2's, and Terra grappler G2

To TIG488 - do you have 5.3 or 6.2? What gearing? I would expect adding nearly 20lbs unsprung weight to each corner is going to have an effect

https://www.treaddepot.com/#!productDetail/tireStandardFitment/352060

https://www.treaddepot.com/#!productDetail/tireStandardFitment/352580

Thanks - so question is do you give up actual acceleration/mpg for improved looks, more ground clearance, tougher sidewalls, better offroad traction to go w/ a 275/65 over a 275/60? Unless I am missing something seems like ALL the AT tires jump up in weight to the 275/65 as it is a common HD truck tire size and is LT E rated 10 ply.

I've always been more practical/performance minded vs. looks/aesthetics when it comes to modding - and while most people wouldn't notice the drop in acceleration off the line, I am certain I would. You are probably losing up to 2 mpg as well gaining 17-20 lbs per corner....not going to be worth it IMO unless you're really offroading and needing max clearance in which case body + suspension lift, maybe smaller rims, and some power adders/gears could/should be in order.

I've experienced the opposite effect of going to smaller/lighter wheel/tire setups (unsprung weight) on sportbikes and muscle cars, and the SOTP feel is noticeable, I wouldn't want to do something that would go the other direction and make a vehicle feel more sluggish.

I suppose a positive effect of heavier 57+ lb tires would be shorter stopping distances and more responsive handling in a way

• 2 weeks later...

i lost appx 1.5 mpg with the larger tires. i was avg around 18.8 or so, now I'm down to around 17.3, haven't driven on the interstate much.

also i haven't rubbed yet. seems to be the perfect fit for the RC level kit.

Edited by tig488

I am going for pretty much the exact setup - I've ordered the bilstein 5100s for all 4 corners, setting the fronts for the highest setting, removing stock rear blocks and adding a pro-comp 2.25" block kit to add 1" and keep some of the rake, I plan on running 275/65/20 either BFG's, Nitto Terra grappler G2, Michelin LTX MS2, or Toyo Open country AT2

Should end up w/ about 3" overall lift from stock ride height, I'm also removing the front chin spoiler thing too.

If your looking for an extreme high mileage tire the Michelin LTX MS2 trumps all. I've seen 65k-90k miles on those tires but those were a load range E which i recommend.

Edited by mestupmonkydude

I am looking to buy 275/60R20 KO2's for my truck here in the next month or so. Can't stand the SRA's anymore. I don't have a level now but do plan on it in the future.

My question is based on speedometer calibration... 275/60R20 are technically 1" larger diameter than the factory tires, do I really need to get my dealer to correct the speedometer for me? They want $100 just to do the calibration.

I am looking to buy 275/60R20 KO2's for my truck here in the next month or so. Can't stand the SRA's anymore. I don't have a level now but do plan on it in the future.

My question is based on speedometer calibration... 275/60R20 are technically 1" larger diameter than the factory tires, do I really need to get my dealer to correct the speedometer for me? They want $100 just to do the calibration.

I wouldn't worry about it. The difference in your speedo is going to be minimal. At 100 km/h shown, your new actual speed will be approx. 103.5 - not worth the $100. I'm not getting it done when I get my new skins next week - I'm getting the same size.

Not good to go bigger you just putting more load on engine to gain nothing!

You have a point, however - size and weight are 2 different things. If you're running 20" wheels and swap out the stock 43 lb wrangler sra's for toyo open country ATs in 275/60/20 you're gaining a 1/2" of ground clearance and not adding any weight- in fact they weigh exactly the same- 43 lbs

Now if you're adding 275/60/20 BFG KO2's that weigh 57 lbs or the 275/60/20s that weigh 53 lbs- yes you are adding unsprung weight but gaining up to a full 1" of additional ground clearance, switching to a tire that will legitimately last 60,000+ miles and can actually be used off road and for those who live in winter climates has much better traction in snow

I also imagine the weight difference from going to the 57lb 275/65/20 bfg tires is not that much different than the difference between a factory 20" wheel package vs a 22" wheel package- the factory rims are quite heavy.

By going to 275/60 or 275/65/20s, adding a level kit or bilstein 5100s, you will effectively increase overall ground clearance by 2.5-3.5" - to some people that actually take their trucks off-road occasionally this makes a big difference- it also looks "correct" for a truck and is the stance most trucks came from the factory w/ years ago.

Last hear I got my truck stuck off-roading in heavy snow covered fields, i got stuck not due to traction (4wd and running snow tires) but due to the fact my front end literally got hung up on a hard packed snow bank, if I has an extra 2-3" ground clearance it wouldn't have happened.....unfortunately my buddy had to tow me out in his jeep wrangler and opted to post it on YouTube...embarrassing moment.