Still Not Sold On A Catch Can? Check Here...

3 minutes ago, Hillwood said:

con-den-sa-tion
water that collects as droplets on a cold surface when humid air is in contact with it.
The conversion of a vapor or gas to a liquid .

I have replaced several 2.4 engines in Equinox vehicles... PVC port freezes up.
I have seen 3800 engnes freeze up the MAP sensor port and run like shit.
How is this possible inside the engine?
CONDENSATION!

That's nice - show us a single case of this happening on a L83 / L86 STOCK OR WITH A CATCH CAN where anything froze and was damaged in the PCV system.  Sure, you'll get water in the bottom of it mixed with oil (which has a lower freeze point).  But unless the can fills up, even if it froze it won't harm anything.  This thing called GRAVITY pushes all of that condensation down to the bottom of the can.  

• Like 1

couldnt the risk also be freezing in the lines vs just the can? Also, wasnt there some mention of a truck not starting because of a frozen line or something? 

edit...more I think about it, I suppose if it doesnt freeze in the original lines, why would it in the catch can & lines? 

Edited by Roscopcoletrain
  • Thanks 1

Where ever the condensation collects, you will have ice forming..
The PCV is meant to pull the vapor and gases from combustion back into the intake manifold.. If you don't drive long enough for heat of the engine to evaporate it all then it will buildup..
The extreme temperatures, neg 0, to 210 + in the engine will cause more condensation than normal..
Will there be enough heat for the can to evaporate all the condensation at sub zero?
Have you ever pulled the oil cap off your engine and found ice on the inside of it after it sat in cold overnight? No probability not, but I have.

Show me the proof!
Two engines disassembled.
One that ran the can and one that didn't.
We're still all speculating here.
Believe what you want! No proof!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Hillwood said:

When it gets sub zero and stays there for weeks, shit happens that normally doesn't..
If you don't experience this, then you will never know.

My guess is that if the scenario you mention happens, you’re going to have issues with stuff freezing with or without a can. It’s very, very, very simple here...if you don’t want one don’t get one. I’m not going to give you flack about your choice and I’m not gonna sit here and say “Told ya so” if after years and miles you find that maybe you should have gotten one, but I’m also not going to sit here and say to myself “Damn, I wasted some money buying that stupid can”...do it or don’t its your choice ?

Edited by SS502

1 hour ago, Hillwood said:

Where ever the condensation collects, you will have ice forming..
The PCV is meant to pull the vapor and gases from combustion back into the intake manifold.. If you don't drive long enough for heat of the engine to evaporate it all then it will buildup..
The extreme temperatures, neg 0, to 210 + in the engine will cause more condensation than normal..
Will there be enough heat for the can to evaporate all the condensation at sub zero?
Have you ever pulled the oil cap off your engine and found ice on the inside of it after it sat in cold overnight? No probability not, but I have.

Show me the proof!
Two engines disassembled.
One that ran the can and one that didn't.
We're still all speculating here.
Believe what you want! No proof!

Just an FYI...let’s assume you’re right and the condensation in the can freezes up, if the can is emptied as it should be the condensation (water) would be the top layer of what’s in the can, and maybe a few crystals in the lines. Well just normal start up (and I assume in those conditions you don’t just fire up and start driving without a little warm up?) and the crystals melt and the top layer in the can starts to melt...it doesn’t have to evaporate as as mentioned gravity pulls all the fluids (water, oil, gas) to its lowest point; the bottom of the can. Look I get what you’re saying but this is a debate that’s long and tired. You will never make me feel like I made the mistake of installing one any more than I’m going to make you wish you did. So use your money on a mod you like or put it into a vacation savings jar! Regardless, have a Merry Christmas, safe New Year and enjoy life??

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hillwood said:

I don't think anybody made a mistake installing a can..
I just don't see the proof that it is going to help my engine last longer.

Happy Holidays.

I agree. You would think with all the popularity of these someone by now would show engine valves run with one 

51 minutes ago, Orlando8 said:

I agree. You would think with all the popularity of these someone by now would show engine valves run with one 

I promise this...when I get to 30K I will bore scope and post good or bad. Gonna be a while but I always keep my word.

• Like 1

I promise this...when I get to 30K I will bore scope and post good or bad. Gonna be a while but I always keep my word.

Shouldn’t you be working on another New Years Resolution? Just had to throw that one in