Still Not Sold On A Catch Can? Check Here...

22 minutes ago, Grjfer said:

Shouldn't you be monitoring your oil level anyway? Catch can or not.

Well yes, of course.  That's not what I am asking.  Let me rephrase....does the catch can catch enough actual oil that it lowers the level on the dipstick and you have to add oil periodically to keep it full between changes?

1 hour ago, lapoolboy said:

Well yes, of course.  That's not what I am asking.  Let me rephrase....does the catch can catch enough actual oil that it lowers the level on the dipstick and you have to add oil periodically to keep it full between changes?

The oil that the catch can catches wouldn’t have gone back into the sump anyway. It’s catching it before goes through the intake and burned off in the combustion process (or stuck to the valves). 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lapoolboy said:

It doesn't affect oil level anymore than what normal oil level/consumption would be. The can simply collects oil that normally would be sucked into your intake manifold before it gets there...it doesn't add or delete any oil consumption. It's just catching oil that already would be consumed through the PCV valve system. It doesn't cause more oil to be sucked out or anything like that.

23 minutes ago, Doublebase said:

It doesn't affect oil level anymore than what normal oil level/consumption would be. The can simply collects oil that normally would be sucked into your intake manifold before it gets there...it doesn't add or delete any oil consumption. It's just catching oil that already would be consumed through the PCV valve system. It doesn't cause more oil to be sucked out or anything like that.

Perfect, thanks!

On 12/25/2018 at 4:51 PM, SS502 said:

Well, I think that’s somewhat of a personal preference. I run the RXP (excellent customer service) but UPR and Elite are also excellent cans from what I gather. They all use good internal baffles and quality fittings. There are some on the market that are just cans with a line in and line out with nothing inside. I’ve seen home-made versions too and they may work just as well, but I can’t say one is better than any other. The RXP just has the looks I like.

1C7632F7-EC44-4265-AEAB-2D7A0734F630.jpeg

D9B54C5E-0B0C-4E2F-A90C-F25CA3DE30D3.jpeg

3DE80C12-8712-48BD-98BC-AD1ABDE469AB.jpeg

Upgraded  to the new RXP system...changing where I’m going to mount it. Since I’m in a warm weather climate I’m not too concerned about condensation, so going on the fender/spare battery area.

00041EFA-3C3B-4E67-939D-905569150F7F.jpeg

• Like 2

Upgraded  to the new RXP system...changing where I’m going to mount it. Since I’m in a warm weather climate I’m not too concerned about condensation, so going on the fender/spare battery area.
00041EFA-3C3B-4E67-939D-905569150F7F.thumb.jpeg.fa83a7303d143f7d323dd3d1c46f76ed.jpeg

So instead of one can to deal with having to get up in your hood, now you’ve got two to deal with? Arrrrg, I’m still debating where to install one for easy maintenance on a lifted truck

Sent from above

1 hour ago, TXGREEK said:

So instead of one can to deal with having to get up in your hood, now you’ve got two to deal with? Arrrrg, I’m still debating where to install one for easy maintenance on a lifted truck

Sent from above

LOL my friend...look at the bottom of the cans, each has a 1/4 turn drain valve that easily drain into a small plastic container (or girlfriends Tupperware :D) that sits very nicely in the battery tray. No mess no fuss :thumbs:

Oh and UPR just introduced a drain system for ALL cans that use these kinds of drains, you can route the line to wherever makes it easy for the user. You could easily set it up to where you don't even have to open your hood.

http://www.uprproducts.com/upr-oil-catch-can-drain-line-kit-12.html

Edited by SS502
  • Like 1

LOL my friend...look at the bottom of the cans, each has a 1/4 turn drain valve that easily drain into a small plastic container (or girlfriends Tupperware [emoji3]) that sits very nicely in the battery tray. No mess no fuss :thumbs:

Oh and UPR just introduced a drain system for ALL cans that use these kinds of drains, you can route the line to wherever makes it easy for the user. You could easily set it up to where you don't even have to open your hood.
http://www.uprproducts.com/upr-oil-catch-can-drain-line-kit-12.html

Time for you to do a review, Start driving [emoji6]and looking forward to it

Sent from above
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Time for you to do a review, Start driving emoji6.pngand looking forward to it

Sent from above

Give me a little more time, still recovering from knee replacement and it's easier getting in and out of the Honda for now!

• Like 1

Give me a little more time, still recovering from knee replacement and it's easier getting in and out of the Honda for now!

Feel for you, your setup looks great! I’m thinking no less than one month, should be plenty of time to see how well the new design works.

Sent from above
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BigBlueLB756 said:

The new knee or the new can?

LOL

I was thinking the same thing...at 58 I may need a bit more than a month LOL! Well...I just re-read and he said no less than a month so that implies MORE than a month :D

Edited by SS502
  • Like 2

I was thinking the same thing...at 58 I may need a bit more than a month LOL! Well...I just re-read and he said no less than a month so that implies MORE than a month [emoji3]

I’m still doing the 3K-4K Mobil1 oil changes and loaded up on the Lucas Fuel Treatment. Very much looking forward to your findings. Thanks for the update and be safe.

Sent from above
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well some are believers and some are not but I just added an Elite Engineering catch can system and after 2500 miles I'm guessing 180-200 ml. Would one think that this normal/average amount a fresh engine could catch in 2500 miles? When I poured the contents out a good lump of something fell into the cup. Haven't investigative that lump but this definitely looks brown and creamy so......I am a believer in the catch can

catch can results @2500miles

catch can results @ 2500 miles1