Couple Looking for Intro to Home Defense

Inconsistent JHP performance thru a variety of media was always an issue. When LAPD was considering moving to JHP service ammo 30 or so years ago, they were really putting them thru all kinds of stuff. The "clogging" issue made fodder for articles in the LA Times. There were lots of opponents to JHP ammo for them, inside and outside of LAPD.

Just my opinion, but I believe the number one reason a shotgun is easier to hit something, is that it's a long gun. Sight radius/intuitive barrel alignment. I have friends I shoot with on weekends that shoot sporting clays with the shotgun at the hip. I actually am considering a short, pistol caliber (45) carbine. Finding a quality one within the limitations of CA laws is a challenge.

The other aspect 99% of people forget about is legitimate cover. Short of my gun safe, there's not much in my house that would stop a mid caliber bullet. Since I'm not planning on building a safe room, I've found level 3 wallboard for reasonable prices. A couple of 24x30 pieces with handles under the bed is one thought I've had. With real protective cover and a gun, the odds get better.

Edited by spurshot

• 3 months later...

Class #2 for our group is coming up this weekend. Just a simple standing shooting exercise with 250 rounds of single taps, double and triple taps, multi-targets, etc. Still have our group, no drop-outs yet. Next class after this will require full rigs with intro of reloads and movement, then other classes will be scenarios. I'm looking forward to the more advanced shooting. I haven't done any of that in over 30 years, Steel Challenge, IPSC, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I took the "Intermediate" class last weekend. Fun class! I brought out my old Ted Blocker leather covered spring steel speed rig :dunno: (antique) for my 1911. It's been 35 years since that holster had a gun in it. My wife shot a Sig P226 with the small mods I've done.

The intermediate class starts where the basic class left off: double and triple taps. But it introduces the draw from the holster. Then there's one hand shooting of both strong side and weak side. It then adds in reloads, 180* turns to draw and shoot, etc.. Lots of fun.

Next class introduces moving shooter and moving targets, cover, etc.. I signed us up for the next one. This all seems like it would be good prep to do IPSC/USPSA style competition as well.

One extra class he offered some of us was an opportunity to shoot the $1 mil simulator he uses to teach Fed and local LEOs. It has video/laser interaction and actually shoots at the student with a rubber ball. We signed up for that.

Edited by spurshot

...just a quick question inbetween:

How many of you have ever been in a "home defense" situation?

And what do you mean by saying "home defense"? Just asking to clarify!

Not me nor anyone I personally know. I hope to make it thru this life never having to be in such a situation. I'm doing this training for the same reason I carry a first aid kit in my truck...Just in case.

To me, "home defense" means preventative and protective actions for a situation where someone is attempting to get into your house, or has gotten into your house, with intent to do harm. Others will have their definitions, based on what state they live in and the laws there.

P.S.

My wife related to me that one of her coworkers had a home invasion. Apparently the coworker kept his gun in a safe. He heard a noise in the night and went to the safe to get his gun. He retrieved his gun just in time to turn to face the intruder.

Edited by spurshot

There are gun safes and then there are safe boxes that you keep in the bed stand for quick access. (yes I believe in keeping guns in locked places when there are children around, no matter how smart we may think our children are)

...just a quick question inbetween:

How many of you have ever been in a "home defense" situation?

And what do you mean by saying "home defense"? Just asking to clarify!

These really seem like an anti-firearm person questions, or a person who did not grow up around firearms and has been programed to be afraid of firearms but I'll bite..................

Home Defense : Defending your home, your property, the people inside your home, your family.

When a scumbag thug criminal illegally makes forced entry into your home with the intent to harm, or steal, or whatever else the thug may be doing.........Person inside said home, armed and ready to protect their property, their life, the life of others inside, double tap center mass....No more thug!,,,,,,Call 911 and explain the situation, they will dispatch police and a clean up crew.

Hopefully nobody ever has to be in that type of situation but reality is, it can happen and unfortunately, happens all of the time. When it does happen you best be prepared and know how to defend the ones you love and your property.

Calling 911 and having the police respond will do no good, trust me. By the time we get there it may be too late, don't count on the police. By the time we are actually dispatched to your call, several minutes will have already past so prepare youself and be willing and able to stop the threat.

For some of you that haven't shot competition nor taken defensive shooting instruction from a qualified professional, I highly recommend either or both. I think you'll really learn somethings and drastically improve your gun skills. Personally, I'm having a great time regaining long lost gun skills and learning new skills. Overall it's really fun and gratifying. Do it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished a simulator session with video shoot/no-shoot situations. All told we went thru maybe 25 situations and dissected the shootings after each student and scenario. Many of the scenarios were based on real, historical, LEO shootings. Great fun and insight into real life scenarios.

• 1 year later...

Anyone wanting to own a firearm (for any reason) needs training. People might think that they will never use it but things like keeping it out of reach of kids, keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction are important things even if the gun is never fired. I served in the military and have taken the carry permit course in my state and i have taken formal security training (I perform security at my church) in the form of active shooter. Some knowledge that can be gained from a course include:

- What ammo is good for home defense (dont want to shoot through a wall and hit a bystander)

- What firearm is good for what situation

- Laws around how you can protect yourself/someone else

- How to clear a jam

- How to properly clean/care for a firearm

• 1 month later...

'Home defense' is the total package, not just shooting at the bad guy once he is positively identified. 

In the nicer areas one has to be on guard with the 'daytime burglary'. You know, they come visit and if they find you home they ask directions or some other muse. If suspicious it's a good thing to note the vehicle, maybe the plate, and characteristics of the occupants.

Here is 'Kara', she's kinda friendly but very wary of strangers. Once a proper introduction is made, she's just fine. I don't need no stinking electronic security system.

IMG_0487.JPG

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sourdough44 said:

'Home defense' is the total package, not just shooting at the bad guy once he is positively identified. 

In the nicer areas one has to be on guard with the 'daytime burglary'. You know, they come visit and if they find you home they ask directions or some other muse. If suspicious it's a good thing to note the vehicle, maybe the plate, and characteristics of the occupants.

Here is 'Kara', she's kinda friendly but very wary of strangers. Once a proper introduction is made, she's just fine. I don't need no stinking electronic security system.

IMG_0487.JPG

It is amazing how smart dogs can be in that regard. Visiting a long time friend and his wife last summer and they have two little ones and a shepherd. He wasn't too happy with my interacting with the kids till my friend put his arm around my shoulder and said "this is my friend Mike". Then the dog was cool with me. Jump to this summer their son (who is 2.5) slipped away from mom and dad and took off toward the lake. I was down there myself and as he popped around the corner the dog was right on him until the kiddo came and sat with me and the dog's demeanor visibly changed and he relaxed. Then mom came down and schooled the little guy hardcore for ditching her. :lol: 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had two dogs, bird dogs, until May.  I had to put the Lab down.  The pointer is just antsy enough to be a decent watch dog.  She’s not gonna attack anyone, but she’ll alert us.  

Meanwhile, my wife and I finished taking all the classes the local guy has to offer.  To keep the shooting progressing, I’ve been thinking about going to either Gunsite or Thunder Ranch. 

• 2 months later...

I have had many guns for home defense in the years. 12 ga, 45acp, 38spl,9mm

In my option for a lady or anyone it is hard to bet a taurus Judge, it shoots 5 balls about the size of a 38 with one pull. jamming isn't a issue. no heavy sides or safeties. Point and click. 

At the rang I had a few guns one day 12ga, 460ev,38spl air light, and the judge.

Between the 38 and the judge the judge had less kick, weight and the grip made it easier. also at 10 feet away with bird shot it covered the whole target face. It is a point and cover gun. think hall way or door way. Hard maybe impossible to miss. 

12ga is heavy and slow  the 460 is insane some state ranges limited my use there (also 50bmg, 500, and full auto) 

I still like the glocks. 18rds of 9mm there is a light and laser but tactically those are a joke.

I have taken all the classes CPL, home defense, tactical assessment, also some higher gov. classes.

the A B C assessment is the best. Teaches you to always know your surroundings and have a plan to get to b or c for the advantage. Look for things that are out of place and see people. I can't take a pissing in public without looking out the corner of my eyes to see who is waking up. and even then my other hand is on my protection. ATMs no fingers and stand sideways. Back up guns. at night hand on back up. Crazy world stay safe!      Also see my post on Home security.