anyone have their air dam trimmed?

I'm getting a 1.5inch level in the next week or so and I'm wondering if anyone trim their air dam on their Silverado? I doesn't really want completely remove it but I like to take off an inch or so. Anyone do anything besides removing the stupid lookin piece or plastic that looks awful on your truck? I actually would remove it but it kill me with fuel economy.

If I never had chrome bumpers I would get the black plastic and make it smaller and paint it to match the bumper.

check out this link - about halfway down page - many other examples on here too. if your getting a lift, mide as well take it all the way off...air dam ain't gonna make a difference once it's lifted.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/173372-2015-lower-air-dam-removal/page-

that picture of the white truck, I wouldn't trim that much off it, on the silverados air dam, its not so wide in the middle but it widens out under the fogs, I would of made the lower lip level with the middle.

that picture of the white truck, I wouldn't trim that much off it, on the silverados air dam, its not so wide in the middle but it widens out under the fogs, I would of made the lower lip level with the middle.

The outer portions that drop down under the fogs are what affects fuel economy the most, as that part is what covers the tread of the tires

Left mine on running a leveling kit and 34" tires. No rubbing at all. Didn't do any trimming either.

Thats pretty awesome. I have 33.3" with a 2" level and i had slight rubbing on my inner fender well liners (ziptied them back to cure). I wouldve loved to have squeezed a 34" setup but there was no way for me. I never had any rubbing on the air dam, but i removed mine yesterday more for the fact i didnt like the look with it on. Looks way better without it imo, as it shows my meaty Terra Grappler ATs more. Plus as far as mgs go, i almost never drive anywhere where the speed limit is over 55, and higher speeds seem to be where the mpgs take a hit

Been meaning to trim mine. Just haven't had time to do it.

I trimmed mine, the outer parts. I like how it turned out. You can see pics here:
http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/157013-what-have-you-done-to-your-k2-today/?p=1710549

@mjj, what did you use to trim your valence? Dremel tool? Hot Knife? Something else?

Trimmed mine using a pnematic cut off disk. I had removed it for a few months but decided to try it after cutting so it was easy to cut off the truck. I just followed the formed ridge and it took off about what I wanted.

post-124619-0-20686600-1448883022_thumb.jpg

I trimmed mine, the outer parts. I like how it turned out. You can see pics here:

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/157013-what-have-you-done-to-your-k2-today/?p=1710549

Yours turned out really good. I took mine off a month or so back but I really don't like the look but I needed the ground clearance.

Been meaning to trim mine. Just haven't had time to do it.

@mjj, what did you use to trim your valence? Dremel tool? Hot Knife? Something else?

I took it completely off, didn't quite like the look of it off so I decided to trim it. I just used a sharp utility knife and a metal straight edge and carefully scored into it and then cut thru the plastic with about 3-4 more passes. It wasn't too difficult or time consuming. The cut edge turned out pretty clean too, didn't really need to do any sanding to make the plastic look straight and smooth.

Trimmed mine using a pnematic cut off disk. I had removed it for a few months but decided to try it after cutting so it was easy to cut off the truck. I just followed the formed ridge and it took off about what I wanted.

Cool thanks. Any chance you can get a front on picture?

I took it completely off, didn't quite like the look of it off so I decided to trim it. I just used a sharp utility knife and a metal straight edge and carefully scored into it and then cut thru the plastic with about 3-4 more passes. It wasn't too difficult or time consuming. The cut edge turned out pretty clean too, didn't really need to do any sanding to make the plastic look straight and smooth.

Sounds good. Thanks!

Thats pretty awesome. I have 33.3" with a 2" level and i had slight rubbing on my inner fender well liners (ziptied them back to cure). I wouldve loved to have squeezed a 34" setup but there was no way for me. I never had any rubbing on the air dam, but i removed mine yesterday more for the fact i didnt like the look with it on. Looks way better without it imo, as it shows my meaty Terra Grappler ATs more. Plus as far as mgs go, i almost never drive anywhere where the speed limit is over 55, and higher speeds seem to be where the mpgs take a hit

just out of curiosity - what did you zip tie the well liners to? I have the same problem when in full turn reverse only, but still a little annoying...just wasn't sure where to tie it off.

Archived