New Truck Rear-Ended - Looking for help/advice

mr. tim

I never wanted my first post to be this. I bought a brand new 2015 Sierra 1500 CC AT on October 10th, 2015. Last night, December 11th I was rear-ended by a 2015 dodge ram. My truck has 1560 miles on it. Other driver admitted fault and filed the claim as I was standing there. Her insurance company contacted me today but left me a voice mail as I was unable to pick up at the time. The voicemail did say to go out and gather quotes for repair. I was able to get squeezed in to a local GMC dealer that has a collision center approved by GMC late this afternoon. I have 2 more estimates scheduled for tomorrow. The shop I visited today has no affiliation with the at-fault-drivers insurance company. The estimate came back at $15,313.86 and includes replacing:

new rear bumper, a new complete bed, a new tailgate, the nameplates and moldings, new rear sliding glass assembly, new right side rear tail light, and a new complete frame, paint, labor, new spray in bed liner from Rhino, new undercoating on frame and bottom of bed box from Ziebart

Im completely gutted. I had a decent amount of equity in this truck that all just went away over night. Literally.

I guess what Im looking for is advise as I have never had a vehicle so new have so much damage. I fear that it will never be as it was prior to last evening after it gets fixed. Im not sure how to approach this. Im not sure if I should risk getting it fixed as proposed and then just bitch after the fact if everything isn't perfect or opt not to have the frame replaced and rather just pulled back to spec (body shop said insurance company would probably make them try this first before replacement) and everything else replaced and again bitch at everything that isn't perfect.

I haven't spoken to the at-fault-drivers insurance company in person yet. Ive not contacted my insurance company at all. I feel like I need to get some more knowledge about my options before I go into a conversation with their insurance company.

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow, I agree I would be after some diminished value compensation, allow I'm not sure how it works, I'm sure its a crazy process, Theres alotta frame damage there I'd be curious as to how close you are to a total as well,

wow, I agree I would be after some diminished value compensation, allow I'm not sure how it works, I'm sure its a crazy process, Theres alotta frame damage there I'd be curious as to how close you are to a total as well,

Sorry to hear this, condolences. Completely understand your angst, though looks like no one was injured?

You might only possibly have real concern over the frame, and perhaps others can chime in whether or not this is just the bed frame or entire chassis? Paint and all else should be more than acceptable from a GMC dealer, whose work should also be backed. Hope that is the case.

Also hope that the at-fault driver is attractive and takes you out for an expensive dinner. Just looking for anything to help a brother out. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Well I am sure that others will say that I am wrong, but I would make them buy the truck. To Hell with diminished value, tell them you want full price paid including TT&L, less 50 cents per mile for use. Let them get it fixed, sell it, and deal with all the aggravation. I personally would not want the truck back after it had that much damage. Its not like its a rare sports car, or some limited edition that they no longer produce.

Well I am sure that others will say that I am wrong, but I would make them buy the truck. To Hell with diminished value, tell them you want full price paid including TT&L, less 50 cents per mile for use. Let them get it fixed, sell it, and deal with all the aggravation. I personally would not want the truck back after it had that much damage. Its not like its a rare sports car, or some limited edition that they no longer produce.

no I was trying to be logical, But i feel like u do, if it was me id be screaming for them to buy it, beds and stuff are replaceable, but i'd be worried about that frame damage and it will always show frame damage when u try and get rid of it later on,

no I was trying to be logical, But i feel like u do, if it was me id be screaming for them to buy it, beds and stuff are replaceable, but i'd be worried about that frame damage and it will always show frame damage when u try and get rid of it later on,

I agree with you on repairing it if it was just sheet metal damage. I just see issues down the road with the frame damage. Lets face it, let something go wrong with the transmission, rear end, etc.. and the first thing GM is going to do is blame the wreck even if it had nothing to do with the failure. Then the OP is going to have to fight someone to get it repaired, either the insurance or GM.

Glad you're ok.

Keep your cool.

Get the other estimates.

They may offer to buy you out. They may offer you diminished value. The adjuster has a job to do (not one I would want) and being polite with them can only help your side of the negotiation. And it is a negotiation.

You can also take whatever settlement you negotiate and then trade it yourself.

Hopefully it will all work out to your satisfaction.

Tell them your neck hurts real bad now. Get local sleazy lawyer to get you 100K... then go buy 2016 Denali . I'm just kidding.. but it's amazing how many get away with this, even when they are ok.

I have a hard time believing the truck will be 100% again if it was hit that hard. First step... pick up the phone and talk to both insurance companies.

I agree with all the above members, and would also like to point out, that remember, your truck will always be a "bad carfax" vehicle... we had a helluva time when we tried trading my wifes acura TL earlier this year, all because the previous owner had a minor collision to the passenger door. The best offers we got on that car was 40% less than book trade in value. We ended up keeping it, because we just couldnt accept the negative equity the bad carfax equalled out to

Archived