Comparison between standard DL8 and S4O/DPN Towing Mirrors

I really love those mirrors.

Since the tops are power, will they still auto tilt down when I put my truck in reverse? Or does pointing the secondary mirror down towards the tires negate that need? Because the auto reverse tilt is a deal breaker for me as I have to fit my truck in some not so large parking spots and I am a bit of a nazi about being parked square between the lines.

Losing the auto-dim feature seems pretty bad. I am a big fan of not being blinded and I can definitely tell when I drive a vehicle without it.

Don't care about memory as nobody else ever drives my truck.

In 10 years of owning three different vehicles with power folding mirrors, I can count on one hand the number of times I have folded them. Although that might become more of a thing going through car washes with the giant tow mirrors, it's a pretty small downside to having an awesome look.

• Like 1

The convex lower mirrors negate the need for reverse tilt I can see the lines when I am parking perfectly without any ajustments. I cannot weigh in on the loss of dimming mirrors as I have never had a vehicle with them.

Edited by lawnboy-5247

• 1 month later...

I have a 2014 CC Silverado LTZ with power folding heated standard mirrors. I want to replace with the Towing mirror but want to keep the power folding option.

There are several threads about this and tons and tons of info here on the forum. You cannot purchase the official GM accessory kit the OP talks about, you have to actually purchase two replacement powerfolding mirrors separately. The cost increase is significant. You can get the chrome non-power kit for about $560 shipped, where the chrome power mirrors are about $500 each new or slightly cheaper used.

You still have to purchase an RZY harness and 2x new door harnesses if you want plug and play functionality.

I have a 2014 CC Silverado LTZ with power folding heated standard mirrors. I want to replace with the Towing mirror but want to keep the power folding option.

Should be doable if you get the DQS mirrors.

Mine has the DQS tow mirrors. Heated, blinkers on glass, power fold, reverse tilt, reverse pointed white led's.

There is a dealer bulletin/chart/table that lists what is required regarding harness and programming to do conversions and what features will work when done.

Fold/unfold also works with the FOB.

Vision is slightly limited towards the 10:00 and 2:00 areas, so that takes some getting used to.

Yup Have them on my HD takes some time to get used to it. To me , they also make the truck feel bigger (wider) when negotiating tight traffic and parking spots. Again takes some getting used to it

There are several threads about this and tons and tons of info here on the forum. You cannot purchase the official GM accessory kit the OP talks about, you have to actually purchase two replacement powerfolding mirrors separately. The cost increase is significant. You can get the chrome non-power kit for about $560 shipped, where the chrome power mirrors are about $500 each new or slightly cheaper used.

You still have to purchase an RZY harness and 2x new door harnesses if you want plug and play functionality.

I was hoping since I already have power fold the plugs/harness would be the same. Guess it is never at easy. Thank for the info

Yup Have them on my HD takes some time to get used to it. To me , they also make the truck feel bigger (wider) when negotiating tight traffic and parking spots. Again takes some getting used to it

Funny, since I wrote this I no longer have those mirrors :( My new 2500 :) doesn't have them.

So easy to say the towing mirrors are really nice and no doubt I miss them. I'll likely add them down the road. But is was worth the trade up to the 2500.

Edited by SouthpawHD

• 5 weeks later...

Overall cost was about $1300, $1075 For the parts and $240 for labor. I could have got parts cheaper but a dealership that had actually done the retrofit before offered me that price which was close enough to the price online including shipping and tax The price is also higher since I needed the RZY harness along with the door harnesses. I have attached two sheets one is a overview of the mirrors, the other is a updated part number chart. The updated chart is the one with some things highlighted in red.

The mirrors have all the functions: Power top glass, Turn signals, amber running lights, reverse lights and heat but; they are only manual folding. The only thing I am having problem's with is the reverse lights. Since my cargo lights still turn off in reverse I cannot use them in reverse but, the dealer is looking into fixing it. They are contacting GM about it and they said that even if gm tells them they cannot do it they are pretty sure their programming tech can do it anyway, If they cannot fix it I Will do the jumper wire mod

I will say, If you get them, you will not be able to believe how much better the view is and How useful the adjustable lower convex mirror is.

Just wondering if you had the option of getting the power fold to work?

I have an 2014 SLE with no power fold option small mirrors. I can't really find the right answer about getting power fold tows

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Just wondering if you had the option of getting the power fold to work?

I have an 2014 SLE with no power fold option small mirrors. I can't really find the right answer about getting power fold tows

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Yes the option to the power fold to work is available.

• 2 months later...

Passenger side

As you can see the view in these mirrors is much better than the standard ones and the lower convex almost eliminates any blind spot. After having these on my truck for several months I would definitely say they are worth the money to have them put on.

Mod Request- Is there anyway you can move the last three posts up so all the pictures are together on the first page?

post-150684-0-57031300-1462238125_thumb.jpg

post-150684-0-40183200-1462238133_thumb.jpg

Edited by lawnboy-5247
  • Like 1

This thread is a comparison between the stock and optional mirrors available for our trucks. Although I would far rather have the towing mirrors as celebrated here, I wish to comment on the stock mirrors. Bottom of the line pickups many years ago came with car type mirrors. A popular upgrade was the "west coast" mirrors resembling those found on big rigs. The supporting bars were excellent for hanging onto with your arm out the window! For the past several years, the stock factory mirrors have been a good balance of providing front and rear view properties. The larger mirrors are a must when pulling trailers but there is a tradeoff of a more restricted forward field of vision. The larger mirrors also attract more people walking into them in tight parking spaces! This is a great upgrade but it doesn't come without tradeoffs.