TYRICH88's 2015 Z71 BUILD

tyrich88

Cool, sounds good. Yeah, I wonder what shipping for the thing would be? Probably ridiculously high...bummer.

Well it's huge and weighs like 120 pounds... so probably more than buying a new one hahaha. Unless I could find some discounted freight shipping.. but i dont even know where to start

• 2 months later...

Well I haven't done much to the truck in the last few months, but was toying around with ideas the other day and I think more changes are coming.
I took the grill guard off snd have been driving around without it for a few days to see how I like it without it.

Gas mileage has already gone up, which I like, but I do like to have some sort of protection up there from parking lot bumps and things of that sort. So I've been looking at bull bars and replacement bumpers.

I'm really liking a couple of the N-Fab options, as well as the Westin Contour bull bar, but we will see.

Here is the truck as it sits now.

d3ca17a2-0e9e-4498-8d82-7c9198a48446.jpg

7A9515C4-99B8-47FE-855D-D985BC3D7827.jpg

02EB2A4E-0D70-4770-B619-A7F157F202DC.jpg

So as I said above, I'm looking at bull bars and replacement bumpers.
A replacement bumper would be ideal, as I've been wanting one for quite a while, but with how much they usually cost I may end up going with a bull bar instead.

I have looked at a few already and like two of the options N-Fab has, their pre runner bar and their lower end replacement bumper (which is also a pre runner style).

Here is the pre runner bar (which would mostly just be for lighting, as it doesn't add much protection except for higher up)
0DC275A6-1FA1-46BD-8375-6716A34C4AB9.jpg

Here is the replacement bumper I would be looking at.
sema-2014-silverado-1500-white-91.jpg

rspfrontbumperleds1415silverado1500galle

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well... after taking the grill guard off, I took a 350 mile trip this weekend, pretty much all highway. My typical MPG was 15.5 or so they way my truck was set up. This weekend, without the grill guard, I got 19.5-20.5 the entire trip. So since I was on the fence and the gain was that large, I sold the grill guard.

Mods on the list right now are:
Window tint (all windows including camper)

Light bar (most likely mounted behind grill)

Wheels (looking for 18" 0 offset wheels if anyone has recommendations)

And possibly...

Sell my running boards and replace with Nfab or rough country nerf bars.

N-FAB front bumper (shown above)

52" light bar over windshield

Replacement rear bumper

Tune (probably Black Bear or Diablew)

Edited by tyrich88

• 1 month later...

I got my new headlight bulbs in a couple of days ago and got them put in. Not the best pictures, but I got some pictures nonetheless

Here is the before with the stock bulbs:

A90DF196-3964-4A30-A761-E27B5BAB4D37.jpg

Here is the after with the Osram Nightbreaker unlimited bulbs

694CADF2-14ED-4A0B-BE3B-75C86C41E1DB.jpg

It got darker so it shows a little more of a change than it actually is, but they are significantly brighter and have a whiter light as well. They seem to put out more light than my sylvania ultras i had on my last truck.

I also ordered my camper shell yesterday, so more updates when that comes in.

Any update on how these bulbs are doing? I am interested in replacing the stock bulbs, but am not yet convinced on going full LED just yet.

Any update on how these bulbs are doing? I am interested in replacing the stock bulbs, but am not yet convinced on going full LED just yet.

I think these bulbs are great! They're still going strong and are a lot brighter than stock. The color is a good crisp white color too. I'm a big fan!

Heres a link to where i bought mine

http://www.powerbulbs.com/us/product/osram-night-breaker-unlimited-h11

Edited by tyrich88

I think these bulbs are great! They're still going strong and are a lot brighter than stock. The color is a good crisp white color too. I'm a big fan!

Heres a link to where i bought mine

http://www.powerbulbs.com/us/product/osram-night-breaker-unlimited-h11

Did you adjust the beam projection at all or just simply "plug and play"?

• 2 weeks later...

Your setup as far as leveling kit, tires and intake are what I'm looking at doing to mine and I'm just wondering what kind of fuel mileage you are seeing? I have the Diablosport Intune2 and have been very happy with it after having the Superchips Flashpaq and I have seen some improvement in MPG but mostly much better driveability but I just don't want to totally kill the mileage with the bigger tires. I just ordered the intake tube over the weekend and it should be here this week!

I'm on the fence about the exhaust just yet but it will definitely be Magnaflow if I do. I am looking at the single in dual out version though but still gutting or removing the 3rd cat along with the new muffler.

Your setup as far as leveling kit, tires and intake are what I'm looking at doing to mine and I'm just wondering what kind of fuel mileage you are seeing? I have the Diablosport Intune2 and have been very happy with it after having the Superchips Flashpaq and I have seen some improvement in MPG but mostly much better driveability but I just don't want to totally kill the mileage with the bigger tires. I just ordered the intake tube over the weekend and it should be here this week!

I'm on the fence about the exhaust just yet but it will definitely be Magnaflow if I do. I am looking at the single in dual out version though but still gutting or removing the 3rd cat along with the new muffler.

So I have a fairly heavy foot and my driving is not very typical for most places.

My "city driving" has stoplights about every 1/2 mile on my 3.5 mile drive to work and back. That being said, on that drive I average about 12-13

Typical city driving, in a normal city is around 13-15

Highway I average 17-19 at ~75mph

Honestly the mpg hit on the highway isn't much, especially if you can correct your speedo with the tuner.

The bigger hit will be in town... hopefully your city driving isn't as hard on MPG as mine is though.

With your tuner you will see better mileage than I am though.

One thing you also may want to look into is a custom tune from Diablew

The exhaust is great. I had a local shop do the exhaust instead of ordering one. I got custom bent 3" pipe all the way out and it was only $300 out the door. I would recommend it.

So I have a fairly heavy foot and my driving is not very typical for most places.

My "city driving" has stoplights about every 1/2 mile on my 3.5 mile drive to work and back. That being said, on that drive I average about 12-13

Typical city driving, in a normal city is around 13-15

Highway I average 17-19 at ~75mph

Honestly the mpg hit on the highway isn't much, especially if you can correct your speedo with the tuner.

The bigger hit will be in town... hopefully your city driving isn't as hard on MPG as mine is though.

With your tuner you will see better mileage than I am though.

One thing you also may want to look into is a custom tune from Diablew

The exhaust is great. I had a local shop do the exhaust instead of ordering one. I got custom bent 3" pipe all the way out and it was only $300 out the door. I would recommend it.

Thanks for the info! Nice truck by the way too!

Sounds like we have very similar driving styles from your description and your MPG's. I usually average 14-17 combined and 18-21 on the interstate depending on how fast I drive. If I keep it reasonable at 75 on the interstate I get around 20-21, but I'm usually around 80 or a little over and it drops significantly after that to around 18, I like to get where I'm going. :driving:

I've read several posts about the Diablew tunes and folks seem to be much happier after getting the custom tune. Still on the fence about exhaust though but thanks for the recommendation, tires and lift are higher on my priority list for now.

Edited by Porkchop1982
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info! Nice truck by the way too!

Sounds like we have very similar driving styles from your description and your MPG's. I usually average 14-17 combined and 18-21 on the interstate depending on how fast I drive. If i keep is reasonable at 75 on the interstate I get around 20-21, but I'm usually around 80 or a little over and it drops significantly after that to around 18, I like to get where I'm going. :driving:

I've read several posts about the Diablew tunes and folks seem to be much happier after getting the custom tune. Still on the fence about exhaust though but thanks for the recommendation, tires and lift are higher on my priority list for now.

Glad I could help! If you have any more questions let me know!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well... Here is my latest pic.
Love this truck.
ce65d8e4-5378-479c-b8c3-c5b6329491ee.jpg

Have some upgrades in mind, but not sure which one I want to do first...
Thinking about a custom tune from DiabLew.

Eventually going to get some new wheels for it, probably Methods.
Vinyl wrap the bumpers to black?
More lift?
Idk... Suggestions anyone?