CarPlay Audio Issues in 2016 Silverado

Can you just take your truck into the dealer to get the carplay update? I have a 2015 and would love to have this

Sorry, but no.

Several threads about this.

(edit: Technically, I guess you can get an update, but it's expensive because it will come wrapped in a vehicle that also has updated headlights, an HD radio etc)

There is a pretty informative thread regarding adding this system to the 14's and 15's.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/184124-vendor-mvi-apple-carplay-android-auto-updates/

Also..I know the last post to this thread is a couple months old...but, if you haven't gone to the dealer to have the Android Auto update performed, I would highly recommend do that as it will fix a lot of the issues talked about here....along with updating to the very latest iOS. Also..as a heads up, you do need to use a genuine Apple lightning to USB cable or you will also experience some weird little issues.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am having the issue looked at currently because the truck is in the shop getting the transmission replaced. What doesn't make sense about it being a software issue with either the phone or the head unit is that it works flawlessly from the glove box USB port. I'm not taking the truck back until they fix it, so I'll update the thread with what they find.

Note: I also found the music has a faint background click even when not running through CarPlay if it's plugged into the center console. Sounds great if it's running through the glove box.

I'm fairly confident the console ports have a connection issue.

Yeah well, I've gotten flamed in other threads for pointing out the usb in glovebox vs in the armrest being the ideal plug to use. It's funny how knowledge and experience gets mocked if someone else can't find it in a book or google to prove it to themselves. GM does honestly recommend using the white plug in the glovebox, and anyone that's had any trouble getting the armrest ones to work will attest to that. I can't say why... but it is what it is. I learned that at a hands on GM training course and have never found it in print from GM.

Yes, the other USB ports can work, but not as well... it has something to do with bus speed of the different connections. I drive a truck, not a bus... so it's over my head to understand, lol

Just use the white plug antil GM puts out something in print to make the haters happy ;)

I've had 2 people with 16's, 1 Sierra and a Camaro, both have their mylink systems completely black out

there is a bulletin to address that complaint #PI1126G, which may or may not fix the issue. It didn't on mine, but it did for a couple other customers. There is also a recalibration for the radio that addresses the issue as well, which I did to my vehicle on last Friday and haven't noticed it since...however I haven't driven it much this weekend at all.....

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on this. I've been working with a local dealership here to get this issue resolved. I know there's been mention of the USB connection in the center console not working properly for a CarPlay connection, but I tested my phone in 4 different trucks at the dealership, and it worked flawlessly in all of them. I tried it in an LTZ withe bucket seats, all the way down to an LT with a bench. No issues whatsoever in any of them. If GM publishes that CarPlay will work at either USB port location in the truck, it needs to work. So far, I have proven the issue is indeed in either the wiring to the port or the port itself. I find it extremely unlikely it lies in the port itself, but we'll find out.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the issue was finally resolved for my truck. They replaced the port in the center console and CarPlay works without a hitch.

Great to know!! Sometimes its something simple :-)

And to further complicate the 'carplay/android auto issue, GM is from mid-May til an undetermined date, factory installing 'IO5' radios that do not support carplay/andraoid auto, and instead are giving a customer 'credit' on the truck price.

Effective 5/23/2016, the following changes will be made to the Vehicle Order Guide:
Interior section-Added (CPO) Credit, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto not available even though the footnote reads "Required and only available with (IO5) Radio for orders created or produced beginning approximately mid-May and forward. The exact duration of this substitution is yet to be determined."
Of course, these trucks could still have the aftermarket solution installed by MVI.

And to further complicate the 'carplay/android auto issue, GM is from mid-May til an undetermined date, factory installing 'IO5' radios that do not support carplay/andraoid auto, and instead are giving a customer 'credit' on the truck price.

Effective 5/23/2016, the following changes will be made to the Vehicle Order Guide:
Interior section-Added (CPO) Credit, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto not available even though the footnote reads "Required and only available with (IO5) Radio for orders created or produced beginning approximately mid-May and forward. The exact duration of this substitution is yet to be determined."
Of course, these trucks could still have the aftermarket solution installed by MVI.

Just an FYI....we cant do these upgrades for the $200.00 credit they are giving (pretty bad on their part), but we do have a handful available if needed. Texting is the best way to reach me :)

• 2 months later...

I just purchased a 2016 Silverado Z-71. The build sheet states I received a $200.00 credit for CarPlay as the truck does not have it. That being said, once the issues with CarPlay are resolved, will they install it for $200.00 as that is all they claim it's worth by only giving me $200.00. That was one of the major features I wanted as I am grandfathered in on an unlimited data plan which would allow me to stream all the music I want for free along with use of the Apple maps app on my phone so I would not need onStar.

I just purchased a 2016 Silverado Z-71. The build sheet states I received a $200.00 credit for CarPlay as the truck does not have it. That being said, once the issues with CarPlay are resolved, will they install it for $200.00 as that is all they claim it's worth by only giving me $200.00. That was one of the major features I wanted as I am grandfathered in on an unlimited data plan which would allow me to stream all the music I want for free along with use of the Apple maps app on my phone so I would not need onStar.

Highly doubtful they will go back and program it in. What month was your truck made? My 16 CC was made in March. I did see when I was hunting for my truck that some had the $200 no car play credit on them. So I don't know when GM stopped installing it and started the credit. I have had no issues with mine so far. The mylink in this one compared to the 14 I had seems a lot faster in responding to what I'm asking it to do.

Highly doubtful they will go back and program it in. What month was your truck made? My 16 CC was made in March. I did see when I was hunting for my truck that some had the $200 no car play credit on them. So I don't know when GM stopped installing it and started the credit. I have had no issues with mine so far. The mylink in this one compared to the 14 I had seems a lot faster in responding to what I'm asking it to do.

I looked on the window sticker and door but cannot find a build date. I take it dealer would need to run the VIN for exact date?

I looked on the window sticker and door but cannot find a build date. I take it dealer would need to run the VIN for exact date?

The build date is listed on the silver/gray sticker on the bottom of the pillar between the front door and rear door. Look on the bottom right of the door opening about floor level. It's month/year in the top right corner of the sticker.

Archived