Black Bear Performance

Is it cheaper to buy it and pay for a tune for it than buying one from Black Bear including a tune? You have to get your own tune added to that one after you buy it.... if so then go for it.

Looks like the tune is $300 to add if you are an existing customer. Not sure if it's more or not if you are not...? So if no extra charge your looking at $199 or less if there is a extre charge to break even...

Edited by Timayz
  • Like 2

6.2Frank, yes, in most cases a custom tune will void your engine and powertrain warranty. There are cases out there where it did not matter to the dealer but there are far more where the dealer told the customer they had no warranty coverage due to the tune.

Just curious wouldn't this void the warranty? I've been reading so many threads and talked to a few Techs at my dealer and never really gotten a straight answer

I had a BB tune in my 2009. I loved it. That said. I have never seen a straight up 100% solid answer to your question and I've read probably as many forums as you have.

I just received my custom tune files last night and just programmed my truck. She's warming up right now and then I'm going for a cruise to check it out. I'm completely stock otherwise. I'll share my results when I get back.

*Update: I went for a 30 minute drive. Man, when your truck shifts like it should, it really is a whole new vehicle. I'm extremely impressed and happy with the tune. My #1 gripe with my new truck was how horrible the throttle response was and how much lag there was in shifting, especially in stop and go traffic. The tune changed this completely. Likes others have said, the best way to describe it is that it feels 1000lbs lighter. Thank you Blackbear!

Edited by Haus_Z71
  • Like 3

I know this has been beat to death sometimes, but is BB the same as DiabLew where you can put the truck back to stock tune before taking it to dealership for whatever reason, and they cannot detect it has been reprogrammed? Apologies for the repetitiveness.

I know this has been beat to death sometimes, but is BB the same as DiabLew where you can put the truck back to stock tune before taking it to dealership for whatever reason, and they cannot detect it has been reprogrammed? Apologies for the repetitiveness.

on the newer truck gm has a flash counter. even if you return it to stock they can see it was tuned and can hold that against you

on the newer truck gm has a flash counter. even if you return it to stock they can see it was tuned and can hold that against you

Couldn't you say you didn't like how it was shifting, took it to a different dealer, and they flashed it back to factory/stock settings? Seems like a valid explanation.

Couldn't you say you didn't like how it was shifting, took it to a different dealer, and they flashed it back to factory/stock settings? Seems like a valid explanation.

i guess you would have to find a really friendly dealer or have a friend that could do it. but it will still show how many times it has been flashed since the counter goes up every time you flash it