Black Bear Performance

I had to have my truck towed to the dealer for a power steering issue, and then they performed the transfer case recall on my truck, all while my tune was installed (couldn't revert back to stock since I was stranded when it was towed) but nothing was ever said to me about the tune. But then again I don't know if the transfer case has its own module besides the TCM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

on the newer truck gm has a flash counter. even if you return it to stock they can see it was tuned and can hold that against you

to deny you warranty, GM has to prove that you had a tune. look up magnuson moss. A stock counter number being 1-2 digits higher than it should be is not enough proof, especially if you're smart to get a lawyer IF a dealer tries to mess with you.

Long story short, Black bear says as long as you flash back before you return to dealer, you should be fine.

Edited by bigsam94
  • Like 3

i have a 4 year/ 48000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. if they voided the powertrain warranty would powertrain still be covered on the bumper to bumper? i would love to tune my truck just worried about warranty

i have a 4 year/ 48000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. if they voided the powertrain warranty would powertrain still be covered on the bumper to bumper? i would love to tune my truck just worried about warranty

I wouldnt think so, as they are seperate. But remember you are messing with the trucks computer "Brain", so they could try to void some electronic issues. Like I said, they have to prove it and black bear has tuned many, many gm trucks/suvs/ect.

FYI: it is possible that GM can detect these tunes with a flash counter, and ultimately it is up to you whether or not to take the risk. I do not personally know if they have the capability or not, and so I messaged blackbear and hope to get a response.

I think the risk of catastrophic engine failure is low, but you best believe that, if it does happen, GM will take a very close look at your truck. A member on here had his engine fail, and they tried to deny his warranty claim over a cold air intake. He eventually got it all figured out but it took some fighting

Edited by bigsam94
  • Like 1

Can someone point me to a good price on a black bear and how they work. Do they ask what you have. And send you a tune or make a general tune or ....?

I did the BB EFILive Autocal for $600:

http://store.blackbearperformance.com/EFILive-AutoCal-Tuning-System_p_8.html

Worth every penny.

- yes you specify in the emails what truck you have - engine and tranny, and mods.

- you clarify what you are looking for in the tune and then they mod it based off of that.

Here is the process:

1) Order and receive the Autocal tool. 2-3 days shipping

2) Install software onto your computer that connects to the Autocal device

3) Plug device into your truck. Activate recording. Drive for 30 minutes to record your trucks shifting and details.

4) Use device to record engine and tranny config files (detailed instructions on site)

5) Email files to Blackbear along with requests (disable AFM, faster shift points, etc)

6) 2-4 business days later you will receive new tune files. Copy files to your device, plug device back into truck, and reflash the engine and tranny config (very easy)

From ordering to having your first drive with a new tune took me about 2 weeks. For $600, the change in how the tranny and engine perform in phenomenal.

Edited by Haus_Z71
  • Like 3

I did the BB EFILive Autocal for $600:

http://store.blackbearperformance.com/EFILive-AutoCal-Tuning-System_p_8.html

Worth every penny.

- yes you specify in the emails what truck you have - engine and tranny, and mods.

- you clarify what you are looking for in the tune and then they mod it based off of that.

Here is the process:

1) Order and receive the Autocal tool. 2-3 days shipping

2) Install software onto your computer that connects to the Autocal device

3) Plug device into your truck. Activate recording. Drive for 30 minutes to record your trucks shifting and details.

4) Use device to record engine and tranny config files (detailed instructions on site)

5) Email files to Blackbear along with requests (disable AFM, faster shift points, etc)

6) 2-4 business days later you will receive new tune files. Copy files to your device, plug device back into truck, and reflash the engine and tranny config (very easy)

From ordering to having your first drive with a new tune took me about 2 weeks. For $600, the change in how the tranny and engine perform in phenomenal.

how did you installl the program? i emailed the company but got no responce as of yet

how did you installl the program? i emailed the company but got no responce as of yet

Once you buy the product, you get a login (email and product id) to a page that walks your through each process.

http://www.blackbearperformance.com/autocal.asp?l=1&email=&sn=#aoProgramming

customer login at top right.

The first part of that process is clicking a link that downloads the object explorer and the efi program.

Edited by Haus_Z71
  • Like 1

Once you buy the product, you get a login (email and product id) to a page that walks your through each process.

The first part of that process is clicking a link that downloads the object explorer and the efi program.

now say if you had a buddy that wanted a tune.. can he just pay the 300 and use your tuner?

now say if you had a buddy that wanted a tune.. can he just pay the 300 and use your tuner?

That is my understanding. From their site:

Each AutoCal ships with one tuning license available out of eight possible. If you have another applicable vehicle that you would like to tune, we would be glad to provide that service to you at a cost of $300 for both license and tuning.

They also have steps on their site on how to use the program and tool with multiple licenses.

Edited by Haus_Z71
  • Like 1