Black Bear Performance

Man, I got excited reading all this. I'm in the process of doing my tune now. I have AutoCal setup now, and I plan on logging data tomorrow. I'm very new to this myself, and I'm not sure exactly what all I should ask for in my tune. I know I want the basics, better throttle response, shifting, gas mileage, etc. I have a 6.2 and really want to unlock its full potential. I do not tow, and I've heard he can turn tow/haul button into performance mode. Anyone else had this done in their tune? I do have oversized tires and want him to address speedometer in tune also. So what are some things you specifically asked for in your tune from BlackBear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just said something along the lines of "You tune enough of these new trucks to know what needs to be done. Turn AFM off completely, give me better throttle response (dial back the torque management), and tweak the shift points since I have oversized tires." Justin delivered.

Make sure you mention the oversized tires (give him the tire dimensions ie LT285/70R17 or whatever size you have). He can adjust the transmission's shift points to help compensate for the bigger tires.

• Like 1

Is this tune like a plug and play thing? You plug it in to have the truck preform a way and unplug it to turn it back to stock??

The girl at the dealership tried scaring me saying that a tune will blow up my engine...

Lol it definitely won't blow up your engine but it's not that type of plug and play. You plug it in and flash the tunes to your truck and then unplug it til you either wanna change to a different tune or go back to stock

Lol it definitely won't blow up your engine but it's not that type of plug and play. You plug it in and flash the tunes to your truck and then unplug it til you either wanna change to a different tune or go back to stock

So it keeps the stock tune on it and then I just repeat to make it stock again. Cool. How much does the total cost of this run? For the basic tune for these trucks as mentioned above?im looking for a solid number I can save up for.

Also can this be done via mail with te auto cal or email? Or phone? I do not live near any places listed on their website. And I'm a newb at trying to understand tunes lol

So it keeps the stock tune on it and then I just repeat to make it stock again. Cool. How much does the total cost of this run? For the basic tune for these trucks as mentioned above?im looking for a solid number I can save up for.

Also can this be done via mail with te auto cal or email? Or phone? I do not live near any places listed on their website. And I'm a newb at trying to understand tunes lol

yes as mentioned you'll want to go with the autocal and that is $600 and includes everything and you collect the data on the autocal you'll get on the mail and send it to black bear via email. Then they'll email you back the tunes for you to upload onto your autocal and then you can flash your truck with the new tunes.

yes as mentioned you'll want to go with the autocal and that is $600 and includes everything and you collect the data on the autocal you'll get on the mail and send it to black bear via email. Then they'll email you back the tunes for you to upload onto your autocal and then you can flash your truck with the new tunes.

I'm assuming you did this, do you call them via phone first to talk to them about what all you want?

I emailed them general questions I had. But once you purchase AutoCal from the website then you put in truck info with the order. Then they ship everything you need with instructions. Pretty simple process. Only thing is that you will need Windows computer. The EFIlive software will not work on a mac.

I'm assuming you did this, do you call them via phone first to talk to them about what all you want?

Yes I just did all this. It's super easy just takes a bit of patience. You don't need to call just go to their website and order the autocal and they will ship it to you and then you follow their detailed instructions on their website. It's a slam dunk. Just don't use safari or Mozilla Firefox as your browser to download the EFI live software. Use google chrome or something windows

Yes I just did all this. It's super easy just takes a bit of patience. You don't need to call just go to their website and order the autocal and they will ship it to you and then you follow their detailed instructions on their website. It's a slam dunk. Just don't use safari or Mozilla Firefox as your browser to download the EFI live software. Use google chrome or something windows

I sent in my files Sunday night, how long after you sent yours in did they get back with you to see changes you wanted? And then how long before they got new files back to you?

It'll be a few days and they just ask what mods you have like tires intake exhaust or whatever and if you have any specific tune requests. Then after you reply you can expect your new tunes within a week

It'll be a few days and they just ask what mods you have like tires intake exhaust or whatever and if you have any specific tune requests. Then after you reply you can expect your new tunes within a week

What info do they need about the truck when you purchase the auto cal?

And as mentioned above. I assume when you tell them what truck you have + add ons they will do a basic tune that eliminates all the problems we generally have? I ask this because I don't actually have a list of everything I want tuned. I know the transmission needs better shifting and not be so sluggish, maybe more hp( does this happen automatically or can it be done?) AFM disabled( don't really know what this will do if it's disabled )

I'm curious what you had done to yours perhaps?

What info do they need about the truck when you purchase the auto cal?

And as mentioned above. I assume when you tell them what truck you have + add ons they will do a basic tune that eliminates all the problems we generally have? I ask this because I don't actually have a list of everything I want tuned. I know the transmission needs better shifting and not be so sluggish, maybe more hp( does this happen automatically or can it be done?) AFM disabled( don't really know what this will do if it's disabled )

I'm curious what you had done to yours perhaps?

I don't recall having to say anything when you purchase it. Just when you send him the initial files.

Once you receive your tuner, you plug it in and pull the stock engine and transmission files. Then you start recording and record 20-30 minutes of driving around.

Plug that into your computer, email all the files to Justin.

You then request what you want:

I said the following:

"2015 GMC Sierra SLE Z71 4x4 with 3.42 gears. 6 speed transmission. Completely stock.

This is my first request for a tune. I am new to this vehicle and new to blackbear performance.

I was recommended this product to take care of several things. My goals:

1) Clean up the delayed/sluggish shifting

2) Disable AFM

3) Improve overall performance and comfort

Attached are the data log and tune file. I'm not sure what else to ask for. Ultimately I just want smooth, clean, responsive shifting. Anything you recommend as well, I'm open for trying."

He then creates a tune for your truck and emails the files. You put them on the device and flash your ECM and TCM. They have great instruction and he provides a link to the instructions.

I chose to have AFM disabled because I read that it tends to burn more oil, has been the cause of lifters failing, and really didn't make that big of a difference with fuel efficiency. With it off, I still make 20mpg highway. 22 at around 55mph. Then shifting is also so much smoother when it doesn't switch back and forth between V4 and V8.

Edited by 2015_Sierra
  • Like 1

I don't recall having to say anything when you purchase it. Just when you send him the initial files.

Once you receive your tuner, you plug it in and pull the stock engine and transmission files. Then you start recording and record 20-30 minutes of driving around.

Plug that into your computer, email all the files to Justin.

You then request what you want:

I said the following:

"2015 GMC Sierra SLE Z71 4x4 with 3.42 gears. 6 speed transmission. Completely stock.

This is my first request for a tune. I am new to this vehicle and new to blackbear performance.

I was recommended this product to take care of several things. My goals:

1) Clean up the delayed/sluggish shifting

2) Disable AFM

3) Improve overall performance and comfort

Attached are the data log and tune file. I'm not sure what else to ask for. Ultimately I just want smooth, clean, responsive shifting. Anything you recommend as well, I'm open for trying."

He then creates a tune for your truck and emails the files. You put them on the device and flash your ECM and TCM. They have great instruction and he provides a link to the instructions.

I chose to have AFM disabled because I read that it tends to burn more oil, has been the cause of lifters failing, and really didn't make that big of a difference with fuel efficiency. With it off, I still make 20mpg highway. 22 at around 55mph. Then shifting is also so much smoother when it doesn't switch back and forth between V4 and V8.

Sweet man I'll tell him the same thing.

Was there anything else he added to the tune you didn't ask him too to improve the truck? Do you have more horse power?

Oh and does it throw a code at all with the tune in place?

Sweet man I'll tell him the same thing.

Was there anything else he added to the tune you didn't ask him too to improve the truck? Do you have more horse power?

Oh and does it throw a code at all with the tune in place?

He has tuned so many of these Silverados and Sierras that he knows what we are looking for, even with a limited request like mine. My first tune was such an improvement I didn't have anything else to requests for the first 8 months. He didn't give detail on what all he did. He just completed my requests and sent the files. And it was awesome.

I can't confirm that it had more hp. BUT, it definitely felt like the truck was 1000lbs lighter. He adjusts the throttle response, so it doesn't feel like the engine is bogged down anymore.

Nope I have had no codes thrown or any issues with my tune. Only thing that came up was due to direct injection cleaning. When I had my truck in under warranty they didn't say anything about my custom tune. They just fixed what was needed

Edited by 2015_Sierra