Black Bear Performance

Like I said, it's the communication issues. The week or longer to answer emails. And I loaded SLP's tune, because y'all told me to load it, then download it into the EFI Live tuner and send it to you, so you could modify it. It hasn't been right since. It's better than it was... 

And, I understand that other, newer "paying" customers are going to be "seen" first. But, I paid upfront, for tuning, that y'all advertise as being able to modify as the customer makes changes in his/her ownership of the vehicle. 

It's the weeks and weeks of no answers, or not much of an answer to my questions/problems. We won't get into a pissing match on the forums, but I'll say this. I won't be doing business with you, again... and we'll leave it at that. 

Edited by imiller1974

• 1 month later...

Alright so I have a 2015 Sierra Denali 1500 with the 6.2L 8 speed, I just ordered the autocal from BBP and I’m wondering what are the best changes to make to this particular setup to get maximum performance and drivability out of my truck? All I have done is a muffler delete and a K&N filter pretty much stock setup for now. I just want the 6.2 to run smooth and powerful like it should without the sloppy tranny shifting

2 hours ago, cody609 said:

Alright so I have a 2015 Sierra Denali 1500 with the 6.2L 8 speed, I just ordered the autocal from BBP and I’m wondering what are the best changes to make to this particular setup to get maximum performance and drivability out of my truck? All I have done is a muffler delete and a K&N filter pretty much stock setup for now. I just want the 6.2 to run smooth and powerful like it should without the sloppy tranny shifting

Blackbear builds your tunes it ain’t like a canned tuner where you changed your own parameters or select power, tow, ect. Should be instructions on what info they need from you as far as what you want from the truck, what mods you done, wheel/tire size, octane fuel your going to run, ect. I forget cause it’s been 3 years but they will collect from you your “stock” tunes they might do this first before they need your other info the autocal has 5 slots for files. Two are used for your stock engine & stock trans tunes, then the other three for your custom tunes. So mine is a 5.3 I have my 2 stock tunes then a 87 octane, a 91 octane, and a tranny tune. So really all you need to do when Blackbear wants your info is tell them what your wanting below is what I told them what I wanted. I’m more than happy with mine I fact I loaded my 91 and tranny tunes 3 years ago and haven’t done anything else. 

MODS
Airaid MIT tube, stock airbox, Delco air filter
Flowmaster 70 series muffler, exhaust valve/resonator delete

TIRES
285/70/17 

TUNE
AFM off
speed limiter off or raised
I would like the transmission to "hunt" less not sure how to explain the up shifts are soft/slow but I don't want it to bang/slam like a shift kit. At slow speed (parking lot/off road) it seems indecisive of which gear to be in and downshifts are jerky. I don't like when I go around a corner let off the gas then step on it and it's like there's nothing happening not sure if that's the tranny or torque management? So whatever you think for the trans and TM.

Around here 87/91 octane is the norm it's about impossible to find 92 +

I do occasionally pull a car hauler 6,000 pounds or a quad trailer 2,000 pounds

driving is 70% highway, 25% intown, 5% dirt roads 

live in Iowa so weather is both extremes if that matters 

I drive it like a "old guy" 90% of the time it's a truck not a Camaro SS so not looking for "MAX power" just better drivability if that makes sense. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cody609 said:

In general with our tunes we strive to get all the available power out of your engine. We can also improve throttle response and shift patterns. Your fuel quality, octane, and the condition of the vehicle prior to the tune will be a factor as well. 

Once you data log and download a copy of your stock tune files, you will email that to us. As wforrest08 said you will want to let us know modifications, any tune changes you need, for example disabling AFM, and let us know if you have any concerns with the vehicle, and we will use that to build your custom tune and email it back to you.  

Let us know if you have any questions. 

For the user above that had issues with communications from BBP, I understand what you're saying. Sometimes it does take a while to receive a return email, but it's only because they are helping other customers as well. You have to understand that BBP does a great job and therefore lots of people use their services. What I have come to learn is that Justin TRULY WANTS TO HELP YOU AND MAKE YOU HAPPY. It took quite a while to dial in my supercharger tune, but it's running GREAT now!

If you want immediate satisfaction, you can always get an in-person dyno tune, but make sure the tuner is reputable (you already know BBP is). Also, keep in mind that NO ONE that does a dyno tune for you will do retunes for FREE. They might discount their price for a retune, but it WON'T be free.

9 hours ago, Mileguru said:

For the user above that had issues with communications from BBP, I understand what you're saying. Sometimes it does take a while to receive a return email, but it's only because they are helping other customers as well. You have to understand that BBP does a great job and therefore lots of people use their services. What I have come to learn is that Justin TRULY WANTS TO HELP YOU AND MAKE YOU HAPPY. It took quite a while to dial in my supercharger tune, but it's running GREAT now!

Some people think that the world has nothing else to do but immediately cater to their wants and demands. I run a medium sized contracting business. I deal with probably half the amount of customers that BBP does on a daily basis, yet at times I am unable to get in my office for a week or two to be able to answer quotes and emails other than via phone. It's the way of the world, people are busy, we have projects going on. I think BBP even travels to do business, so I am sure they are often away from headquarters lots. I explain this upfront to my customers if I have another large project on the go to avoid reactions like imillers. Although there are always people like that, that don't realize a service company can sometimes be busy providing services and doesn't have a full time email crew to sit online and banter back and fourth with them. We also get the customers that need to ask 10 questions, but only ask 1 question per email, also very annoying. But I also know how frustrating it can be to wait for an answer, but just occupy yourself with something else for a while.