In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Cthomas07

Leveling a 2016 2500HD

I'm not sure how adding a lot of preload to raise the height isn't going to effect ride quality? For instance a snowmobile...if you crank the blocks on the rear springs to max, and then have a 150 pound guy ride it he's going to get beat up. Same spring rate, more preload. Why is cranking the torsion bars any different than this? Trying to understand.

It is not the same. When you crank the preload on a coil spring shock you are compressing the spring more before it ever starts to move from normal suspension movement. But one end of the shock remains in the same place at all times, only one end moves futher away as a result of more preload when the machine is sitting on the ground. When you crank the keys on a torsion bar set up, it is instead like moving both ends of the coil shock down. Relocating the spring lower instead of preloading it is the basic effect. There will be a slight change as the wheel is now closer to the center of the truck so it doesn't have quite as much leverage on the torsion bar to flex it ( think short prybar versus using a longer one) but it is not a very big change compared to preloading a spring like you mention.

This is why putting in reindexed keys does nothing unless the amount of lift you want cannot be achieved with the stock ones. You are simply moving the starting point of the torsion bars flex lower. The length of the bolt doing it doesn't change the torsion in the bar as the opposite end of the bar simply moves lower when you crank the keys, there is no resistance when the truck is off the ground. The only resistance is the shock dampning.

Companies selling the keys are not going to admit that you don't need them unless you want more than the approx 2.5 inches of lift you can gain with just tightening the bolt on stock keys as that would cut their sales in half. Why would they want to cut their sales?

But this debate will never end ha ha.......

Edited by Dirtbiker
  • Like 1

discounting the debate about how you got the truck level....for those who tow with their 2500HD...and you have it sitting somewhat level...what happens when you connect your loaded trailer with respect to the right height level of the pickup? Assumed truck otherwise stock. DO you now have a truck that runs down the road with the rear sitting low with respect to the front.

discounting the debate about how you got the truck level....for those who tow with their 2500HD...and you have it sitting somewhat level...what happens when you connect your loaded trailer with respect to the right height level of the pickup? Assumed truck otherwise stock. DO you now have a truck that runs down the road with the rear sitting low with respect to the front.

Yes, if the truck sits level when empty, then it will sit low in the back while towing or hauling. This is a bigger problem on the 1500's though, because they come with less rake from the factory, and squat much easier when loaded. It seems like most of the HD owners are leaving 1-2 inches of rake, then the trucks sit level when loaded. It takes a lot of weight to squat the HD's more than 2 inches.

• Like 1

ok, I figured as much with the potential for the rear to squat some with trailer. I guess for now I'm gonna ride stock...

I have a very hitch weight heavy bumper pull trailer and I also put 50 gallons of water and all my fuel in the back of the truck when going to a race and you are right it does end up a little front end high. For this reason I put airbags in the back so I can adjust the ride height in the back.

• Like 2

I see lots of lifted or leveled HD trucks that then try to actually tow or haul something and end up looking squatted. Kind of defeated the whole purpose of the truck with that move IMO. If I level mine I'd like to leave some rake, I'm just not sure it needs to be 4 or 5 inches like they are stock.

Edited by Skeld

I have a very hitch weight heavy bumper pull trailer and I also put 50 gallons of water and all my fuel in the back of the truck when going to a race and you are right it does end up a little front end high. For this reason I put airbags in the back so I can adjust the ride height in the back.

I did the same thing, added air bags

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

Will the air bags fit if you use drop shackles? I would only need to air them up when towing a big trailer vs having the front end ride stiffer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I am not sure. I have never looked into it. You do have to leave a minimum of 5 pounds in them at all times so they don't get damaged so that may lift the back end up defeating the purpose of drop shackles. But I don't know if that is the case or not.

Thanks, I may buy a set and install the drop shackles and air bags at the same time. That way I'll know for sure.

Will the air bags fit if you use drop shackles? I would only need to air them up when towing a big trailer vs having the front end ride stiffer.

I used drop shackles and dropped the rear 2" and that left me with between 1.5-2" of rake. I tow a 36' TT that has a GVWR of 9500 lbs and when I have it hitched, the truck is pretty much leveled.

I don't really tow heavy at all, at least until I order up a 12K dump trailer I am looking at, but I have had roughly 2000 lb in the back of the bed and even with the 2' drop shackles the pickup was sitting just about level. If you watch The Fast Lane Truck test pull video of the 2500 6.0 doing the Ike Gauntlet pull test with a GCWR of 20,500 lb, you will see the pickup sits just about level with 13,000 lb of trailer hooked up to it, 3 people on board, and 500 lb in the bed. You would have to virtually overload the 2500 to get it to squat anything like a 1500 with only 1000 lb in it.

Edited by Cowpie

Great! Thanks guys. I did watch the Ike Gauntlet pull test for the DRW but not the 2500 so I'll do that.

Thanks again

George

I installed the drop shackles today.

There's still 1 7/8" rake after the install so I'll hook up the trailer and see if I need anything else...

Before:

742eb62db853f5600c6a1cba2b64aa4e.jpg

After:

5e0596728fd9d302af879a3bf9c29aec.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, I still had similar rake after 2" drop shackles. I have hauled a lot of oil drums, building materials, etc that approached 2000 lb, and all it did was make the pickup about level. I didn't actually measure, but if there was some lower squat in the back it sure didn't seem that way. Has always looked just about level with that weight in the back.

• Like 1