2015 Silverado Rack & Pinion

So about 3,200 miles ago i had a 7inch Rough Country Lift kit installed with 35 inch tires and 20x12 wheels. Did not have a problem with it until recently I have a knock when i turn the wheel to the left or to the right. It has gotten worse. So I took it in to the shop that lifted it and they said they have never had the problem before but its what happens when you lift a truck. They are saying its about $2400 bucks to fix this problem. Im not happy at all, they told me before they lifted it that they have lifted hundreds of silverados and never had one come back due to a mechanical issue.

My question is, is this due to the lift its self? or the installer?

I know rack and pinions go out on lifted trucks but not until years later not 3 thousand miles later.

In 2014, Chevy went to the Electronic Rack and Pinion. Since then, they have had issues with the steering rack when ever you upgrade to over-sized tires, Lift or Level kit. I am having the same issue and had to purchase an extended service contract that has a supplement for lifted trucks. Hopefully this will cover my issue. ...I am waiting to see.

In 2014, Chevy went to the Electronic Rack and Pinion. Since then, they have had issues with the steering rack when ever you upgrade to over-sized tires, Lift or Level kit. I am having the same issue and had to purchase an extended service contract that has a supplement for lifted trucks. Hopefully this will cover my issue. ...I am waiting to see.

What is the cost on the extended service contract and what does it cover? What company did you go with?

I'm a used car manager at a Chevy dealership. The ext warranty I purchased was through Vehicle One. It's a division of Ally. They have a supplemental coverage you can add that covers Lifted trucks with up to a 6"inch lift. The prices are all based on the year and current mileage on your truck now.

I'm a used car manager at a Chevy dealership. The ext warranty I purchased was through Vehicle One. It's a division of Ally. They have a supplemental coverage you can add that covers Lifted trucks with up to a 6"inch lift. The prices are all based on the year and current mileage on your truck now.

That sucks, I have a 6.5" lift! I just turned 20k miles...

It seems to happen with all the 2014 and newer trucks from gm with a lift installed. My advice is never buy a gm truck again. They forgot how to make a good vehicle.

However, the sticker prices on these vehicles would lead you to believe that everything is gold plated on them.

It seems to happen with all the 2014 and newer trucks from gm with a lift installed. My advice is never buy a gm truck again. They forgot how to make a good vehicle.

Or maybe the problem is what is supplied with some lift kits, or how they are installed.

Edited by redwngr
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

So about 3,200 miles ago i had a 7inch Rough Country Lift kit installed with 35 inch tires and 20x12 wheels. Did not have a problem with it until recently I have a knock when i turn the wheel to the left or to the right. It has gotten worse. So I took it in to the shop that lifted it and they said they have never had the problem before but its what happens when you lift a truck. They are saying its about $2400 bucks to fix this problem. Im not happy at all, they told me before they lifted it that they have lifted hundreds of silverados and never had one come back due to a mechanical issue.

My question is, is this due to the lift its self? or the installer?

I know rack and pinions go out on lifted trucks but not until years later not 3 thousand miles later.

Sounds like it's a Rough Country problem more than a GM trucks problem.

I know of plenty people with BDS/Zone lifts that don't have any problems.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Sounds like it's a Rough Country problem more than a GM trucks problem.

I know of plenty people with BDS/Zone lifts that don't have any problems.

I have a 2015 Silverado Z71. 4" Fabtech lift with 295/55/r20. I've had two racks go out as a result of bad rack gears. GM just recalled over 80,000 2014 Silverado for bad rack and pinion gears. My suggestion to everyone with truck having this same issue is to file a claim with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administrasion (NHTSA). The more complaints they get the more likely they will get GM to do recalls. I've had my truck inspected by 4Wheel Parts and there are no issues with the lift. The problems lies in the faulty new electronic rack gear GM is putting out.

Edited by Duality

• 7 months later...

Having the same issue on my 2014 Sierra as we speak, had to take it to four different shops to get an honest opinion out of anyone, there is a GM Recall currently out for the steering rack in 2014 GMC's and Chevy's alike. Unfortunately, it is only to flash the EPS module and say that they fixed everything and in reality it did nothing (GM Recall Number: N172085440). After taking my truck to two custom offroad shops, a Chevy, and a GMC dealer the only people saying it is because of the lift is the GMC dealer and one of the offroad shops (Who also told me it was my 4" Rough Country and quoted me a low $3,400 for a new 6" Fabtech LOL). So now the last place I took it to was the second offroad shop and they told me it was very easy to replace and told me exactly how to do it, so it sounds like I've got my Saturday project, oh joy. GM Part No: 84235647 is the new steering rack for the 2014's at least. I recommend calling your local dealer and asking them for a part number though, just to be safe. 

They also did quote me $1,859.24 for the part alone, I told em to kiss my big fat white...you get the point. I will try to get some pictures of the process and the broken rack, wish me luck! 

• 1 month later...
On 3/22/2018 at 6:38 PM, TyGriff13 said:

Having the same issue on my 2014 Sierra as we speak, had to take it to four different shops to get an honest opinion out of anyone, there is a GM Recall currently out for the steering rack in 2014 GMC's and Chevy's alike. Unfortunately, it is only to flash the EPS module and say that they fixed everything and in reality it did nothing (GM Recall Number: N172085440). After taking my truck to two custom offroad shops, a Chevy, and a GMC dealer the only people saying it is because of the lift is the GMC dealer and one of the offroad shops (Who also told me it was my 4" Rough Country and quoted me a low $3,400 for a new 6" Fabtech LOL). So now the last place I took it to was the second offroad shop and they told me it was very easy to replace and told me exactly how to do it, so it sounds like I've got my Saturday project, oh joy. GM Part No: 84235647 is the new steering rack for the 2014's at least. I recommend calling your local dealer and asking them for a part number though, just to be safe. 

They also did quote me $1,859.24 for the part alone, I told em to kiss my big fat white...you get the point. I will try to get some pictures of the process and the broken rack, wish me luck! 

How did it go?  I have the same clunk turning left while I’m stopped or at very low speed in a parking lot. I have a 2.5 level and 275/65/20 tires. So it’s not like I am stressing the system. I have 75k miles on my truck. Going to replace it myself. Seems pretty straight forward. I’m very mechanical and believe I have all the tools. 

16 hours ago, Heatstroke18 said:

How did it go?  I have the same clunk turning left while I’m stopped or at very low speed in a parking lot. I have a 2.5 level and 275/65/20 tires. So it’s not like I am stressing the system. I have 75k miles on my truck. Going to replace it myself. Seems pretty straight forward. I’m very mechanical and believe I have all the tools. 

If you have all the tools and have an inkling of what you are doing it's not too difficult. The only problems I incurred was the fact that the computer has to be flashed after it is installed and possibly a couple settings might have to be changed and secondly the truck will need an alignment afterwards which is not something that's exactly in my wheelhouse. Other than that it was rather easy and straight forward! I wish you nothing but the best, mine seems to be holding up pretty well and I am trading it in today for new Denali Duramax! So it'll no longer be my problem...hopefully!