2015 Silverado Rack & Pinion

On 5/22/2018 at 11:21 AM, TyGriff13 said:

If you have all the tools and have an inkling of what you are doing it's not too difficult. The only problems I incurred was the fact that the computer has to be flashed after it is installed and possibly a couple settings might have to be changed and secondly the truck will need an alignment afterwards which is not something that's exactly in my wheelhouse. Other than that it was rather easy and straight forward! I wish you nothing but the best, mine seems to be holding up pretty well and I am trading it in today for new Denali Duramax! So it'll no longer be my problem...hopefully! 

Before I dig myself into a hole. Did you just drive the truck back to the dealership to get them to flash it. Or will the steering not work before it is flashed

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2018 at 7:37 PM, Heatstroke18 said:

Before I dig myself into a hole. Did you just drive the truck back to the dealership to get them to flash it. Or will the steering not work before it is flashed

Wow. I am sorry about me taking my time to get back to you, I usually get an email with an alert but regardless I was able to drive it to the dealer. However, the service manager seemed a bit surprised the truck even started. So it may be a case to case basis? Who knows with all the damn technology in these trucks anymore. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/11/2018 at 1:29 PM, TyGriff13 said:

Wow. I am sorry about me taking my time to get back to you, I usually get an email with an alert but regardless I was able to drive it to the dealer. However, the service manager seemed a bit surprised the truck even started. So it may be a case to case basis? Who knows with all the damn technology in these trucks anymore. 

When you drove the truck to the dealership how was it? Any issues with the power steering? 

On 7/18/2018 at 10:21 AM, z71tx said:

When you drove the truck to the dealership how was it? Any issues with the power steering? 

I didn't have any issues at all! But again. don't rely on me completely, don't really want that liability. LOL

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, 

I have just got a 2014 sierra with a 2.5 in level & 305/55/20's with 46K miles. Getting the same issue with the gear mesh/binding/clunking noise. I am trying to see if there is a new rack and pinion or if the part number was fixed in the 2015-2018 production runs. I know the supplier had to have been made aware of the issue. I am trying to get this covered by GM as there are proof of other individuals getting it covered. But I also entertained the option of doing it myself. I would have the truck aligned afterwards but as far as computer work/calibrating, what needs to be done? 

Thanks, 

Edited by MikeDelley940

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/18/2018 at 4:07 PM, jpmiami said:

Im on the same boat, 2.5 lift 275/60/20 and the clunk noise... thinking maybe installing Moog iner tie rod and see if it help at all.  Did notice the rack moving a lot when turning Left, it does not move at all when turning right? 

Was that with a rough country lift?

3 hours ago, jpmiami said:

Yes sir. 

So add me to the list. 

I have a 2015 sierra crew cab with a 2.5" rough country lift. After putting on around 25k miles I started hearing a dragging, clicking noise in the steering wheel. Dealer says I need to replace rack and pinion for 2400k. I am afraid I'll bite the bullet and be right back here in another year or two. I was told there is a 2 yr warranty on the replacement, so I might gamble on that.

Wondering if this is specific to a rough country lifts? Anyone else had this issue with other brands or with NO lift?

• 11 months later...

Hello all, we installed lift onto my sons 2015 Z71 height and lift manufacture I don't believe relevant here. clunking noise started also, when he took to dealer they told him they did the recall thing that didn't fix anything, then the steering went out all together, we decided to remove rack and pinion and disassemble we found the belt for the electric motor had broken. The PN on the belt is 28271802. We cannot find this belt unless you order 100 from china! As someone here has all ready said I think we'll buy a new rack and pinion and sell this hoopty. 

• 2 months later...

I just put a RC 3.5" on my 2014 Silverado last month. I also changed lower ball joints and outer tie rods. I began having the popping when I turn left at slow speeds. I first thought it was a ball joint that had failed and went to replace it yesterday. Upon crawling under it yesterday I realized the ball joints were fine. As I was investigating I noticed the popping in the tie rods and figured I need inner tie rods. Replaced the drivers side with no problem, there was play in both sides, when I pulled the passenger side inner tie rod I found what looked like 2 washers on the rack and pinion shaft. I am assuming this is the piston seal but I am not positive. I have no leaking  of fluid that I noticed. I put it back together after I removed the 2 washer looking pieces and the popping is gone. Not sure if anyone else has had this happen or knows if I should be concerned. I have no issues steering but I am clearly concerned of the steering just locking up. No one makes a rebuild kit and it looks like it's going to be about $2500 to get it fixed but sounds like it's difficult to get ahold of a new rack and pinion. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Update: after much internet surfing I came across this you tube video that gives the solution and a part number which you can order from oemgmparts.com for about $23. This is way better then $2400 to replace the whole rack. Here is the GM bulletin as well for the repair.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2015/SB-10090115-2280.pdf

Edited by tim couillard
solution

• 1 month later...
On 10/27/2019 at 3:51 PM, tim couillard said:

I just put a RC 3.5" on my 2014 Silverado last month. I also changed lower ball joints and outer tie rods. I began having the popping when I turn left at slow speeds. I first thought it was a ball joint that had failed and went to replace it yesterday. Upon crawling under it yesterday I realized the ball joints were fine. As I was investigating I noticed the popping in the tie rods and figured I need inner tie rods. Replaced the drivers side with no problem, there was play in both sides, when I pulled the passenger side inner tie rod I found what looked like 2 washers on the rack and pinion shaft. I am assuming this is the piston seal but I am not positive. I have no leaking  of fluid that I noticed. I put it back together after I removed the 2 washer looking pieces and the popping is gone. Not sure if anyone else has had this happen or knows if I should be concerned. I have no issues steering but I am clearly concerned of the steering just locking up. No one makes a rebuild kit and it looks like it's going to be about $2500 to get it fixed but sounds like it's difficult to get ahold of a new rack and pinion. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Update: after much internet surfing I came across this you tube video that gives the solution and a part number which you can order from oemgmparts.com for about $23. This is way better then $2400 to replace the whole rack. Here is the GM bulletin as well for the repair.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2015/SB-10090115-2280.pdf

Great information!  Having the exact same issue with my 2014 Silverado.  It looks like the service bulletin link may have been the wrong repair.  Do you happen to have the correct one?  Thanks again! 

• 9 months later...