Poor Chrome Quality

I have a new 2015 SLT 2500 Duramax. I'm not happy with the chrome plating on both the

front and rear bumpers. It is hazy and appears to have orange peel but is probably just the result of

poor metal prep before chroming. Totally unacceptable in my book. I have yet to present my problem

to my dealer. I was just curious if anyone else has the same problem? Thanks

Haven't taken it to the dealer yet. Wanted to hear from others who had the chrome bumpers first to see if

they had the same problem. If it's a consistent problem I doubt whether GM will do anything about it as all vehicles

would be devalued the same. I'm going to drive thru the dealers lot tomorrow and check out the other new

trucks and check the bumpers to see if they have the same hazy finish. I also noticed on the rear bumper when wiping it

with a micro fibre towel that it has imperfections that the towel catches on. This appears to be a prep plating problem that

I'm sure no amount of buffing and polish will fix. Also the paint job has a lot of orange peel in it

that I'm not happy about either. I know all vehicles have it but I just got rid of a 2002 Avalanche that I bought new in 2001 and the paint

was ten times better on it and I had absolutely no issues with that truck. I would imagine the progressively increasing piss poor paint jobs on new vehicles is a result of turning up the paint line faster to produce a just good enough product. I certainly would expect more out

of this expensive of a vehicle. Anyways I am off work Monday and will be paying a visit to my dealer to see what they say about it.

Thanks for listening and I appreciate any and all feedback!!!

• 1 month later...

Haven't taken it to the dealer yet. Wanted to hear from others who had the chrome bumpers first to see if

they had the same problem. If it's a consistent problem I doubt whether GM will do anything about it as all vehicles

would be devalued the same. I'm going to drive thru the dealers lot tomorrow and check out the other new

trucks and check the bumpers to see if they have the same hazy finish. I also noticed on the rear bumper when wiping it

with a micro fibre towel that it has imperfections that the towel catches on. This appears to be a prep plating problem that

I'm sure no amount of buffing and polish will fix. Also the paint job has a lot of orange peel in it

that I'm not happy about either. I know all vehicles have it but I just got rid of a 2002 Avalanche that I bought new in 2001 and the paint

was ten times better on it and I had absolutely no issues with that truck. I would imagine the progressively increasing piss poor paint jobs on new vehicles is a result of turning up the paint line faster to produce a just good enough product. I certainly would expect more out

of this expensive of a vehicle. Anyways I am off work Monday and will be paying a visit to my dealer to see what they say about it.

Thanks for listening and I appreciate any and all feedback!!!

Heck, Mine is rusting. Amazing GM says its ok. Every complaint on my truck has a response of by operating as designed.So your bumper is rusting as designed too.

• Like 1

Haven't noticed any issues with mine yet, but if it happens, I have more leverage and incentive to replace bumpers with something more practical, like a Herd or Truck Defender Bumper! Several various options for serious rear bumpers.

post-122677-0-18617000-1457284487_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cowpie

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

They're not real metal bumpers with chrome plating anymore. More like a plastic cap with a shiny coating. The 'chrome' coating on some of them will corrode. On the back bumper of my '09 1500, I had the driver's side 'chrome' part of the bumper replaced after it got corrosion spots after the first winter. Now, 7 years later, the replacement cap is 'rusting' through again. :shakehead:

Edited by Maverick Z71

They're not real metal bumpers with chrome plating anymore. More like a plastic cap with a shiny coating. The 'chrome' coating on some of them will corrode. On the back bumper of my '09 1500, I had the driver's side 'chrome' part of the bumper replaced after it got corrosion spots after the first winter. Now, 7 years later, the replacement cap is 'rusting' through again. :shakehead:

Uh, the 1500 and the HD front and rear bumpers on the K2 trucks are not plastic capped with chrome coating like on the GMT-900 trucks. They are steel bumpers with chrome finish.

My rear bumper has pin holes in the chrome which allow bubbles of rust to come through. Pour metal preparation before plating. The idiot service manager told me it was caused by stones and will not warranty it.

My rear bumper has pin holes in the chrome which allow bubbles of rust to come through. Pour metal preparation before plating. The idiot service manager told me it was caused by stones and will not warranty it.

Find another dealer before 3/36,000

• Like 1