what do you predict the reliability and quality of the 2015-16 canyon/

i was thinking long term what do you ll think of reliability vs tacoma?

for instance even in current consumer reporrs reliability ratings they give gm low ratings and toyota higher ratings but im guessing they're basing this on past performance!

what are yall predictions? for reliability, quality and resale value?

Consumer reports bought and paid for. Toyota and right now more so Honda have just as many if not more problems than GM. You won't read that in Con reports, go to the forums and read real life. My dad likes CR. He brought a highly rated Buick LaCrosse. 3 months later they dissed the car and backed Hyundai

Just my 02 cents worth

Long time Tacoma owner here..... I've owned two Tacomas. My current Tacoma - 2007, I've owned since new.

Like mentioned, they're not as good as the earlier models. As to be expected.....everything that's ever produced today has lost quality. It's the way of the $$ and profit margins.

Items on my Tacoma that went bad:

3 wheels started bubbling up - replaced under 3/36 warranty

Radiator cap leaking, twice - replaced under warranty. I bought a Stant when warranty was up.

Overhead console stopped working - poor solder joints. Husband repaired

Climate control pod lighting failed/shorted - bought used part from junkyard

Frame rust warranty - My frame failed. Toyota replaced the frame, brake lines, rear leaf springs for free just this past October (over 8 years after original purchase)

Other than that....the truck has been extremely reliable. The biggest dissappointment is the frame rust issues. Those issues go back to the 1st gens. Nobody knows if they've fixed the issue. The 2016 Tacomas are bran new.

I'm currently shopping for a new truck. My choices? Canyon or Tacoma.

My issues?

Tacoma - 1st production year - con

Tacoma - Can't load it up with options, they're just not available - con

Tacoma - Reliability - pro

Tacoma - Resale value - pro

Tacoma - Frame rust has been an issue. Toyota has 'taken care' of its customers from this - but it's not something you want to see later in the trucks life. - con

Canyon - 2nd year production - pro - to tacoma's 1

Canyon - you can load it up but I'm finding limitations - pro

Canyon - Reliability ?? I don't know....

Canyon - Resale Value - ?? I searched KBB on past Canyons, but it's impossible to compare the old generation to the new generation. You just can't compare two completely different trucks.

I'll be completely honest..... I'm not afraid to jump ship to Canyon/GMC. I still have to go and test drive one to finalize my decision and move on to picking my 'truck'. I've owned a 2001 Corvette for 9 years. My nephew owns a Silverado....so there's history with the family.

If you're trying to compare - you can visit www.tacomaworld.com forum. You'll see all sorts of praise and bitching about the new Tacomas. Some are legit and others - not so much. I'd recommend researching options and test driving them both. If you have any Tacoma questions, feel free to email me. I've been around Tacomas since 99.

Good Luck in your decision and search!

• 2 weeks later...

Consumer reports is a non-profit. They don't receive money from the auto companies... also they buy their tester vehicle independently so they're more legit than most reviewers.

The problem with the reliabiility ratings is they're based on the prvious gen of the colorado/canyon and GM in general. I usually trust them... but it's based on past reliability really

I think GM has improved.

After test driving well equipped 2016 Tacomas and the Canyon I decided to get the new Canyon. I test drove about 6 different tacomas and 10 canyons/colorados before making my decision.

I'm really happy with it, but time will tell with the reliability.

As far as reliability it could go down with new tacomas AND canyons just with all the electronics and computers in the vehicles. More costly to repair AND requiring special equipment that a normal mechanic to repair--thus making you go back to dealerships --making the big companies more profit... just a theory

Consumer reports is a non-profit. They don't receive money from the auto companies... also they buy their tester vehicle independently so they're more legit than most reviewers.

The problem with the reliabiility ratings is they're based on the prvious gen of the colorado/canyon and GM in general. I usually trust them... but it's based on past reliability really

I think GM has improved.

After test driving well equipped 2016 Tacomas and the Canyon I decided to get the new Canyon. I test drove about 6 different tacomas and 10 canyons/colorados before making my decision.

I'm really happy with it, but time will tell with the reliability.

As far as reliability it could go down with new tacomas AND canyons just with all the electronics and computers in the vehicles. More costly to repair AND requiring special equipment that a normal mechanic to repair--thus making you go back to dealerships --making the big companies more profit... just a theory

AMEN!!

I test drove a new Tacoma - and it wasn't much different than my current Tacoma. Granted, it was a short drive and not on the highway. I also test drove a Canyon - although, I couldn't romp around with it like I wished I could have. The roads they took me on were drifted and completely snow covered. I was very impressed with the AUTO 4WD function and/or the locking diff feature (mechanical inside the diff). That's totally unlike the Tacoma AUTO LSD system which uses the brakes.

I actually did put a down payment on a Canyon. We're playing the waiting game to find one or order one. I'm hoping we can find one and swap with dealers versus waiting for months. We'll see....

Archived