I am very sad to report that after 2 years of working with dealers and then escalating to the top after-sales execs, GM has refused to remedy my mysterious denting issue. It certainly was a lot of work just to have some disconnected GM exec say “let them eat cake”.

So I post this for posterity; in hope that if any other GM owners experience a similar issue they can refer to my experience and make a better go at it. For this is most definitely a manufacturer defect. Fortunately it is only aesthetic. But then again, who likes a new truck with dents on it?

The facts:

• 2 months after delivery, dents started appearing on both rear quarter panels mostly up by the bed rail.
  • The condition seems to worsen with temperature changes.
  • The condition has NOTHING to do with towing or payload
  • Dents were pulled by paint-less dent repair. But came back 6 months later.
  • Multiple dealers agreed dents were not from an external force or mistreatment.
  • Multiple dealers agreed dents were likely from a design or material flaw.
  • GM will not divulge their decision justification. (Though the GM customer service staff were VERY nice. Thanks Emily!)

I can only assume that the prospect of any news where GM produces vehicles with defective metal is not a happy place for them to go. So the few that have been unlucky enough to have these defective panels must suffer a fate similar to those who see UFOs. I don’t think many come forward and even fewer fight as hard as I have to garner attention to the defect.

Though it is not likely that Ford or Dodge would do any better, I had higher expectations of GM because, for me, GM had that slightly higher profile of balance, finer lines, sleeker and more thoughtful design. My Silverado 5.3 LT (NHT) is a great truck that will wear these manufacturer defects well. But it still very disappointing to have these dents knowing that they cannot be removed. I am certainly not going to foot the bill to replace the panels.

So, thanks to all of you in this forum for your opinions and ideas.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/163922-mysterious-dents-crinkles-along-bed-fender/

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/178912-mfg-defect-mystery-dents-crinkles-and-ripples-on-my-2014-silverado/

Edited by JamGear

My 2014 did the same thing, PDR removed the dents but they came back after driving at interstate speeds for very long.

I removed the bedcover and it never happened again for the next 18000 miles. When I sold it there were no dents at all.

Needles to say the bed cover went in the trash.

My 2014 did the same thing, PDR removed the dents but they came back after driving at interstate speeds for very long.

I removed the bedcover and it never happened again for the next 18000 miles. When I sold it there were no dents at all.

Well, it's bitter sweet to know I am not alone with this issue. I have tonneau cover. But the dents appeared before I put it on. Do you recall what kind of a bed cover you had? Curious to know if your cover had any particular mounting arrangement.

Come to think of it, I believe my dents would come back and or worsen after long trips. I wonder what the correlation is there?

Edited by JamGear

What brand bed cover were you running?

Dents that appear out of no where? Wow, had it not been for online forums, I would have never thought of the possibility, what a rare anomaly. Sorry to hear about your issues, defective metal that dents. Gotta keep an eye out for that one now.

I had a small dent on my front fender and don't know where it came from but the PDR said that came from washing the truck by hand and that the metal was thin. It was taken out and still gone. I also have a factory tonneau hard tri fold with no dents at all. 2500 HD if it matters any.

Sierra Boy

Mine are right underneath the bed rails. You can see them plain as day with a good wash and correct angle.

I did not go to GM about them as the truck is a lease and I have other issues

Would you mind sharing what part of the country your truck resides? I am checking for correlation with any particular region of the country. I am from the north east.

Ohio, Tuscarawas county to be exact.

I was just in a 2015 loaner deep blue that did not have them, yet.

Thanks for the info. Can't blame you for not fixing it for a lease. I own my baby. Aside from the denting issues, I LOVE IT!

So far there seems to be a correlation with regions of the country from the north mid-west across to the north east. Becoming more convinced that seasonal and clipper temperature changes trigger the denting.

Edited by JamGear