Premium Fuel With 6.2L?

Yes, 91+ octane. If you don't run premium in the 6.2l, sell your truck. It's designed for premium. Don't give that BS about it runs fine because the sensors retard the timing. That means it's not running properly

• Like 7

Not to hijack the thread, but for those considering E85, to help the math, general rule to knowing if E85 is more financially viable than gas:

The liter of E85 has to be at least 30% cheaper than the liter of gasoline, otherwise it's not worth it, financially.

Personally, I've used E100 on several cars and never liked it. E85 isn't common in South Florida, and not cheap enough when I do find it so I have never even considered it on the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's still not enough to justify harming an engine. If it's that big a deal don't pay an extra 2500 for an option?

Gotta pay to play...

At .80 that's still 1000.00 a year less than HALF of the option?

The only way I'm using less than premium in mine is an emergency.

• Like 5

Before I bought my 2011 6.2L I calculated what the difference would cost me per fill up of 87 vs 93 in my area. At that time gas was around $4 a gallon. So we'll say 87 was $4.00 and 93 was $4.25. The difference to fill up a 25 gallon tank with 93 was a measly $6.25. I decided that it was worth it, and it was.

• Like 1

Seriously, harm the engine? :rollin:

They wouldn't say it is fine to run on regular if it is at all harming the engine, it is not, period. They won't risk a 100k powertrain warranty claim if it did... It may not be getting that last 15 hp or so out of the tune but it is in no way causing damage.

With that said I never understood the nay sayers that shoot others down when they want to run a fuel what GM says is perfectly fine to run. If you think that extra 4-6 octane is making a difference on your relaxed DD trips to work and the mall you are kidding your self. It gives a very slight edge in mpg that is off set by the added cost (it is a wash). It gives a performance edge (again fairly sight like a couple tenths) that if you aren't using in a drag race won't make any difference. Think those few tenths will give you an edge in traffic?

About the only reason I would use the recommended premium is regular heavy towing near the max. Other than that, to each their own. Those who aren't running the premium stuff are a fender behind you to 60, not hurting their engines, saving (as noted a few bucks a fill up) while getting about a mpg or so less.

Tyler

Edited by amxguy1970
  • Like 1

I never will understand these types of threads. The 6.2L is a $2495.00 option...on a at least a 45K truck...... And people wanna skimp on a few cents for some gas??? Come on people....

Around here Premium is around $0.30 more than regular.. So thats $7.80 on a tank if you filled all 26 gallons. Now if you fill up once a week for the year thats a whole $405.60..

.................................................. :rant:

X2! Don't understand it either. If you get the 6.2 like I did you are getting for the power advantage and if you run anything less than premium you will not get full power that is advertised. I wouldn't run anything other than 93 in mine. Don't be cheap run the good stuff in the 6.2. If you wanna run low grade gas get the 5.3 Edited by Jeffro19
  • Like 4

They wouldn't say it is fine to run on regular if it is at all harming the engine, it is not, period. They won't risk a 100k powertrain warranty claim if it did... It may not be getting that last 15 hp or so out of the tune but it is in no way causing damage.

With that said I never understood the nay sayers that shoot others down when they want to run a fuel what GM says is perfectly fine to run. If you think that extra 4-6 octane is making a difference on your relaxed DD trips to work and the mall you are kidding your self. It gives a very slight edge in mpg that is off set by the added cost (it is a wash). It gives a performance edge (again fairly sight like a couple tenths) that if you aren't using in a drag race won't make any difference. Think those few tenths will give you an edge in traffic?

About the only reason I would use the recommended premium is regular heavy towing near the max. Other than that, to each their own. Those who aren't running the premium stuff are a fender behind you to 60, not hurting their engines, saving (as noted a few bucks a fill up) while getting about a mpg or so less.

Tyler

"If the vehicle has the 6.2L V8 engine

(VIN Code J), use premium
unleaded gasoline meeting ASTM
specification D4814 with a posted
octane rating of 91 or higher.
Regular unleaded gasoline rated at
87 octane or higher can be used,
but acceleration and fuel economy
will be reduced, and an audible
knocking noise may be heard. If this
occurs, use a gasoline rated at
91 octane or higher as soon as
possible. Otherwise, the engine
could be damaged."
I'm not risking my engine. Yes, GM says you can but the way its worded is apparent the engine was designed and tested with 91 or higher. People in this thread even claim to have felt the real effects of running lower octane.
Edited by CptMcSaug
  • Like 2

knocking noise MAY be heard. If this
could be damaged."
I'm not risking my engine. Yes, GM says you can but the way its worded is apparent the engine was designed and tested with 91 or higher. People in this thread even claim to have felt the real effects of running lower octane.

You are risking your engine if it is knocking. Does your engine knock? Yes, then you are risking your engine and you should switch. If it doesn't, you aren't risking your engine. To each their own, if it makes you sleep better at knight then by all means. But to assume if you use 87 which is ok that it is risking and harming your engine is incorrect unless it falls in that noted guideline above.

Some have felt it, many others have not. It depends on so much (elevation, fuel station, temperature, load level, ect). Our 6.2 hasn't so much made a peep and runs great on 87. Barely noticed a difference when switched. If it knocked or would be doing something that taxed the engine I would be preventative and switch. But they state as you pointed out performance and mpg are the main culprits and they have tested it is small difference.

Guess that is good we have choices and it doesn't say only!

Tyler

It amazes me how so many people on the internet know more than the GM engineers who designed these engines.

Run premium fuel like they suggest.. you paid 45-60K for your 6.2 truck, you can afford it.

6.2 on regular probably makes as much power as a 5.3 on premium.

Like you said.... If you can afford the 6.2.....you can afford primium.

Hell.... I have added just a couple of gal of VP 113 to give err a nice clean up and drove it like i stole it....

Mixed with about half a tank of 93 when i first got the truck since i bought used with just under 40K miles.

Sent from my Note 4 on Tapashit

if you lucky you can get it for $0.30 more than regular but here in Illinois its between $0.50 to $0.80 more then regular

407A6F0D-FD50-42E4-A344-B30FDC0279EB_zps49CD466E-9C9F-4160-8EF8-E8E348FD03A1_zpsFF70A83E-FD15-4FCA-B7F5-15B59376D32E_zps

That's insane. Used to be a 20-25 cent difference here, now it's usually 40 cents. Are you sure that premium is not Oxy free too?

Tyler

I don't think you understand how knock sensors and engine management systems work. It doesn't pull timing to counter the detonation you will get from running too low of octane fuel until after the pinging has happened. Is any predetonation a good thing? I don't have a 6.2 truck, but have had a lot of GM's high output LS engines and I wouldn't put 87 octane in a truck engine that has 11.5 compression ratio, DI or not.

This isn't 1970 any more and you're most likely not going to hear any pinging, but hook up a scanner for an extended period of time and watch for knock retard. The car will pick it up and you won't hear a thing.

Edited by IOMike
  • Like 2

That's insane. Used to be a 20-25 cent difference here, now it's usually 40 cents. Are you sure that premium is not Oxy free too?

not sure but there are some place were you can get it for 40 cents more but its like sams club and last time i used there regular gas in my 14 5.3 went thru it like is was nothing

Edited by 15SILVERADOLTZ

knocking noise may be heard. If this

could be damaged."

Exactly. This should be a stickied post and if you buy a 6.2 and run 87 you deserve whatever happens...
  • Like 2